Author Topic: Don't get outta the boat - or go in the woods at night  (Read 1599 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Don't get outta the boat - or go in the woods at night
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2014/12/dku-mn-man-fights-off-3-bear-attacks-with-5-knife/

Same bear.  Came back for seconds and thirds.

I wonder if he's using part of the pelt to line his wheelbarrow?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Don't get outta the boat - or go in the woods at night
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
Tracking a wounded 500-lb bear in the woods at night with a 5" knife?  Bully for the guy surviving, but he's also a Darwin Award Honorable Mention for 2014.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Tracking a wounded 500-lb bear in the woods at night with a 5" knife?  Bully for the guy surviving, but he's also a Darwin Award Honorable Mention for 2014.

We don't know that he was otherwise unarmed - article is rather short on details.  It's possible he had a gun but in the first attack lost it.  Also possible he isn't allowed to have guns (felon), or figured enough other people in the group had them that he didn't need his, but was going to help with skinning and quartering the bear.
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »
We don't know that he was otherwise unarmed - article is rather short on details.  It's possible he had a gun but in the first attack lost it.  Also possible he isn't allowed to have guns (felon), or figured enough other people in the group had them that he didn't need his, but was going to help with skinning and quartering the bear.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_26631657/pine-county-hunters-ordeal-i-knew-bear-was

When they returned just after midnight Saturday morning, they brought Johnson and Lindstrom to help track the animal. Lindstrom was carrying a .45-caliber Glock handgun, but Nowack and Johnson carried only knives and headlamps.

Seriously.  You are a hunter - apparently a bow hunter.  You knew that the bear was not DRT when shot.  The guy who shot the bear and all his buddies had no idea if the bear had finally died or not.  (They were apparently hoping it had and wanted to get the meat out before it spoiled.)

Have you ever walked in the woods with a headlamp?  Not a whole lot of visibility provided by those LED bulbs.  I'm not sure it would be easy to see a black bear laying on the ground unless you got almost right up on it  And your buddies have just found out that the bear is definately not DRT but quite mobile and rather annoyed.

"We are all experienced hunters. Brandon has shot several bears. Trevor is a great hunter. We thought from what we saw at the stand that it had been a good shot, only about 10 yards, and we'd find this bear pretty fast. But that didn't happen."

More than an hour into the search, Nowack and Johnson went beyond the swamp and yelled back to Johnson that they had jumped the bear. They thought it was heading away, but it turned and came back at Johnson, knocking him down and biting his arms, legs and face.

Shouting in the woods does not carry well, and even if you hear someone you may not be able to make out what they are saying.

The guy's buddies heard what they believed to be Johnson reacting to being mauled by the bear that they knew was headed in Johnson's direction.  When they finally got to Johnson they were not sure yet that the bear was now dead.  So what do they do?

First, Lindstrom handed Nowack the handgun -- they still didn't know where the bear was.

They didn't find the bear till the next afternoon.

After driving to the hospital Saturday morning to make sure his buddy was going to make it, Lindstrom got back in his vehicle and returned to the scene of the mauling -- this time with a crew of 10 men.  (emphasis added)

They found the bear 50 yards from where Johnson had been mauled. It had died from the wounds Johnson inflicted.

"The bear was wounded and felt surrounded so it went into attack survival mode. That's what happens,'' Lindstrom said.

I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money that each and every one of those 10 were armed - and with somethind a bit bigger than a .45acp Glock.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »
skid - glad you have the time and inclination to research further.
Formerly sumpnz

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_26631657/pine-county-hunters-ordeal-i-knew-bear-was

Have you ever walked in the woods with a headlamp?  Not a whole lot of visibility provided by those LED bulbs.  I'm not sure it would be easy to see a black bear laying on the ground unless you got almost right up on it  And your buddies have just found out that the bear is definately not DRT but quite mobile and rather annoyed.

stay safe.

I arranged a 12 mile (one way) backpacking trip into the mountains with 4 or 5 friends (who all managed to wimp out at the last minute) however, I decided to go it alone, as I had on several other occasions. Funny how lugging a 45 pound pack to 9200 foot elevation sounds real easy in theory but not in practice.

For the first time while backpacking, I decided to hoist my backpack and food up into a tree away from my tent. That's when the bears show up!

It was just about dusk, when the juvenile bears (2) showed up. Being in a canyon, soon after, it was completely black.
Mama bear showed up just before dark, and made her presence known to me. I used every trick in the book, picking up branches, yelling and screaming and rushing towards the bears to attempt to chase them away. They went away for about 10 minutes but, as soon as they figured out the big branches were harmless, they came back..

I figured I would settle this dispute once and for all, by lighting off a couple rounds from my Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag. Being in almost pitch black conditions and in a canyon, it not only scared the bears but deafened and blinded me as well. About ten minutes later they were back.

I figured they were garbage bears from down the mountain who had grown accustomed to people lighting off a shotgun from the back door and figured out the big boom was harmless.

Anyway, I got my campsite ready to pack up pronto, lit off another round, dropped my pack out of the tree and hurriedly stuffed my gear into it, threw the pack on my back and headed down the mountain.

Once my friends heard about my experience, they mostly opined as to how they were really disappointed they had not (yeah, right) accompanied me on the trip.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
I used every trick in the book, picking up branches, yelling and screaming and rushing towards the bears to attempt to chase them away.

You forgot to try injecting a feral hog with PCP and pointing it at them.

Please get that on YouTube quickly if you do it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
You forgot to try injecting a feral hog with PCP and pointing it at them.

Please get that on YouTube quickly if you do it.
Is feeding the Bears supposed to help?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
Is feeding the Bears supposed to help?

Clearly you've never seen some of the hogs around here.  Not sure how big the bears get there, but I'm betting they would have a bit of a challenge from 350 pounds of pointy, annoyed pork.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
Clearly you've never seen some of the hogs around here.  Not sure how big the bears get there, but I'm betting they would have a bit of a challenge from 350 pounds of pointy, annoyed pork.

Sure.  Send in the kiddies so they can get some experience.  That's your plan?

Or do you have feral pigmy pigs? =D

stay safe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »

A 350lb pig vs a medium size male black bear (350lbs) in a life or death cage match?  The bear would probably be sleeping for a couple days after the feast.

In the wild I suspect the pig would just avoid the bear or if they encountered each other they would just go their separate ways.

Up north of me there are 500lb+ black bears. They get big out east also.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
A 350lb pig vs a medium size male black bear (350lbs) in a life or death cage match?

I've seen the aftermath of a pig vs parked F250.  I guess you could call it a tie, since the pig walked away after 40 minutes and the truck was driven on three flats back to the office, where the insurance company almost called it totaled due to every panel except the hood having damage.  Took the plastic trim off the bumpers and running boards, dented and scraped paint off all around, shattered the grill and tore a bunch of wiring off the bottom in addition to the tires.  The roughneck on top of the truck was the best part; guy looked like Mr Clean's evil big brother, but was doing all he could not to soil himself and cry for mommy when the pig managed to rock the truck enough to make him hang on.  The rest of the crew couldn't get to him with the other truck without somebody having to get out to open the gate, (and potentially draw the hog's attention to a more accessible target) so they just sat about 30 yards away taking pictures and video.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
The pig is probably more aggressive than the black bear in the wild.

Probably depends on the initial contact and if the bear can get its claws into it right away. 

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.