Author Topic: I'm a lumbersexual and I'm OK!  (Read 4685 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I'm a lumbersexual and I'm OK!
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: I'm a lumbersexual and I'm OK!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
Pity Grumpy Old Man ... she nailed him on both ends. Lumberjacks are a fig newton of the imagination, and people who write computer programs while dressed like lumberjacks are ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
... if they want to wear flannel and not cut their hair, why not just be grunge?
It's got to be easier to learn a couple cords on a guitar and write, bad, angsty poetry than cutting down a tree.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
I think I'll put the flannel away till this fad blows over. But I ain't giving up the beard.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »
... if they want to wear flannel and not cut their hair, why not just be grunge?
It's got to be easier to learn a couple cords on a guitar and write, bad, angsty poetry than cutting down a tree.

I'm pretty sure most of those adopting the "lumdersexual" persona wouldn't know which end of a chainsaw to hold.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of those adopting the "lumdersexual" persona wouldn't know which end of a chainsaw to hold.

Not to mention that cutting down a tree would dirty up their expensive, designer, "vintage" flannel, pants and boots.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »

YouTube would have a busy day.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:12 PM »
Lots of bactine and band aids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
I've got the beard and the flannel.  And you know, I have spent lots of time lately wondering if my masculinity is in crisis....

Seriously, where do these people come up with this BS?  You think I've got time to overanalyze my sexuality and conclude I need to get in touch with bogus folklore heroes?  Who does that?  Who thinks other people do that?

The author, Miss Willa Brown, needs to grow herself a beard and start wearing warm comfy clothes herself.  Maybe then she'll get it.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »

Maybe, but cutting down trees is more satisfying.

Especially when I'm grilling wild game over the wood later.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Maybe, but cutting down trees is more satisfying.

Especially when I'm grilling wild game over the wood later.

The difference between you and the average inner city lumbersexual is that you actually have passing knowledge of of things like cutting down the tree, splitting the wood and acquiring wild game.

My point is not the guys who dress like a lumbersexual and actually have experience in the outdoors. I'm talking about the idiots who wouldn't know an oak from a pine, much less how to turn it into something you can put in a wood stove.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
http://www.duluthtrading.com/

Official store of the lumbersexuals.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »

3 of the 5 pairs of pants I own are Duluth FireHose Work Pants.  I'm hardly a lumbersexual.  I just like well-made and durable pants.

I've got the beard and the flannel.  And you know, I have spent lots of time lately wondering if my masculinity is in crisis....

Seriously, where do these people come up with this BS?  You think I've got time to overanalyze my sexuality and conclude I need to get in touch with bogus folklore heroes?  Who does that?  Who thinks other people do that?

The author, Miss Willa Brown, needs to grow herself a beard and start wearing warm comfy clothes herself.  Maybe then she'll get it.

While the author's reasoning is flawed, there are a lot of folks clinging to this "lifestyle" out of an attempt to look/feel more manly, not for any specific purpose.  it's just another hipster movement.

Chris

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
I only have one plaid shirt, and I am under wifely orders to get a haircut, but I like lots of spice in my food.  Does that count for anything?

Men who like spicier food are 'alpha males' with higher levels of testosterone, French report claims

French researchers say men with a taste for spicy food have higher testosterone and eating hot peppers may raise levels of the "alpha male" hormone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11293112/Men-who-like-spicier-food-are-alpha-males-with-higher-levels-of-testosterone-French-report-claims.html
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
I read about this the other day.  I don't wear flannel much, but I do have the beard.  Of course, I also make my living behind a keyboard, so maybe I do qualify.   =D

Also, the only chainsaw I own is an electric, which doesn't really have the same je ne sais quoi.  Apparently my lumber isn't ready.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
I read about this the other day.  I don't wear flannel much, but I do have the beard.  Of course, I also make my living behind a keyboard, so maybe I do qualify.

Meh, I work at a desk, but I split my own wood to grill some boudin Saturday, with a real axe, even.  I cut and/or split a couple of logs about once a week to keep the grill ready, as I like the taste of food cooked over real wood and it's a completely grid-independent cooking and heating method.  (Somewhat limited as far as home heating goes, but in a pinch I can heat water on it, fill some 2L bottles and tuck them in my sleeping bag on the bed to get through a cold night.  Did that a couple times to test it when we had really cold nights, and it worked pretty well, with the bottles ceasing to provide much heat just about the time I would have needed to get up and heat morning washing water anyway.  I do have a propane burner and a couple 1lb bottles for it, but I have a good sized wood pile out back that doesn't cost me anything but the effort to cut and split it down to grill size.)

I'm thinking before the weather completely warms up, I might even go build myself a lean to shelter on the ridge and spend a weekend in it just to make sure I still have all the other little skills needed to start with my 72 hour kit and end with an indefinitely sustainable, reasonably comfortable camp.  (Worst time of year for it, since wild foods are scarcest; if you can do it in February, you can do it better any other time of year, barring extreme drought.)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
3 of the 5 pairs of pants I own are Duluth FireHose Work Pants.  I'm hardly a lumbersexual.  I just like well-made and durable pants.

While the author's reasoning is flawed, there are a lot of folks clinging to this "lifestyle" out of an attempt to look/feel more manly, not for any specific purpose.  it's just another hipster movement.

Chris

exactly.

Just because you have the attire doesn't mean you are a lumbersexual.
There is a difference between those guys who already had the gear and the "style" and those who do it for the sake of looking cool and being trendy.

The reason I put style in quotes is because those who were wearing the clothes weren't doing it for style. They did it for function.

and, FWIW, I've always found it incredibly obnoxious to have something I've done for years become trendy.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
I work hard and I wake up hard.

Dude, ask yourself: Would Paul Bunyan have shared that information? I think not. Besides, consider Babe's dignity. Lumbersexual fail.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »
Lumberjacks were, after all, an ad-hoc army of Caucasians, invading regions they imagined to be empty, sucking up the local resources, and leaving vast, bland spaces in their wake.

??? What does she think a lumberjack is? Or was?  ???

Oh, I see her "explanation" later. Meh. She writes for the Atlantic, so she gets paid to make things up out of nothing. She sees some guys wearing butch duds, and beards, and realizes she could get a few column-inches out of over-thinking the whole affair.

In reality, guys sometimes like to dress more "manlier" than at other times. They will sometimes wear beards; either because they don't like shaving, or because they like the look. Or because their wife tells them it's handsome. Whatever.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:53:01 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
??? What does she think a lumberjack is? Or was?  ???

That line caught my attention too. Typical of people of her ilk - wherever the white man went or goes, they leave only destruction in their wake.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »

I see Duluth as durable working man's clothes. Yes, they are more expensive than the Rustlers at Walmart, but you get what you pay for.

Lumbersexuals shop here

http://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/mens-shirts

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »

She ain't talking about you, she's talking about the hipsters.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
I see Duluth as durable working man's clothes. Yes, they are more expensive than the Rustlers at Walmart, but you get what you pay for.

Lumbersexuals shop here

http://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/mens-shirts

Charby's got it. Duluth isn't nearly expensive or "vintage" enough for the lumbersexual hipster crowd. Duluth makes some solid clothes.