Author Topic: North Korea threatens, Sony Pictures blinks  (Read 6924 times)

Nightfall

• friend
North Korea threatens, Sony Pictures blinks
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
In a nut shell, it appears that the NK government was behind the recent hack of Sony Pictures, which also involved threats of theatre and possibly 9-11 style attacks in response to The Interview. Most cinema chains drop the film, then Sony Pictures pulls it altogether.

So... reasonable action, or did NK just learn it can start shaping the rest of the world with threats of violence?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

dogmush

• friend
Re: North Korea threatens, Sony Pictures blinks
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
I had several responses.

Best I can do is: How have we become such frightened wimps?

Let em attack America if they have the nads. Then we could off that crazy dynasty once and for all.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:51:53 AM »
I had several responses.

Best I can do is: How have we become such frightened wimps?

Let em attack America if they have the nads. Then we could off that crazy dynasty once and for all.

This in spades.  We just let the bastards win one and they had to do nothing but talk.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
It's been like this since carter.  Photo ops and empty gestures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:44 AM »
Negotiating with terrorists is bad policy.  But I don't see any negotiation here,  just outright and instant capitulation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
This in spades.  We just let the bastards win one and they had to do nothing but talk.

x2000, I was planning on going to the movie to see the film just because it pissed off fearless leader jr and I thought Sony might of had a small backbone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Newt Gingrich actually suggested a good retaliation method (given that the US govt will likely not retaliate*): Release the film to the public domain, and include a Korean translation.

*I don't see enough info out there to be pro official retaliation. I don't think there's been a concrete statement or concrete proof that this was an official NK operation. I'm 100% sure there was an official hand in it, but it could have been an NK operative leaving his unlocked truck full of select computer equipment in front of a hacker's cafe ala "Jerry Seinfeld and the BO car" with the implication that, "Boy, it sure would be awful if some hackers stole my high tech equipment and targeted the US...".

It will be difficult for us to officially retaliate without concrete proof that this was a govt vs govt attack, not just hackers attacking a multi-national company. I suppose our intel agencies could also play the backdoor game against NK.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:01:53 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/18/stars-slam-sony-for-canceling-interview-release/?intcmp=features

Celebs are blasting Sony for this decision also.

For a change they are saying things I will agree with.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

SADShooter

• friend
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
Sic anonymous on the North Koreans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
As soon as "anonymous sources in North Korea" threatened a new state sponsored 9/11 style attack, there should have been an "anonymous source" in the Oval Office calling up Dear Leader and telling him flat out that such an attack would result in immediate overwhelming nuclear retaliation.

What good is having hundreds/thousands of tactical nuclear weapons if we don't have the balls to use them?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
Our president is getting rid of our nukes as fast as he can.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
I don't see anyone talking about the apparent North Korean terrorist cells that must be all over the US.  Otherwise, how would they carry out these terror threats? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »
I don't see anyone talking about the apparent North Korean terrorist cells that must be all over the US.  Otherwise, how would they carry out these terror threats? 

Pay off another group would be a reasonable guess. Plenty of criminals orgs in the US who'd be willing to kill a lot of folks for a few million.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Pay off another group would be a reasonable guess. Plenty of criminals orgs in the US who'd be willing to kill a lot of folks for a few million.
Unless they were paying ISUS, I don't think there are that many.  One good way to bring the FedGov hammer down on them is mass murder terrorism. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
Unless they were paying ISUS, I don't think there are that many.  One good way to bring the FedGov hammer down on them is mass murder terrorism. 

One guy with either a clean record or traveling on the passport of someone with a clean record gets into the US. Legally, sneaking across the border, whatever.

Either receives a bunch of money in country via bank withdrawal/wire transfer/Western Union or brings it in with him. Norks are poor but a couple million is chump change for any state regime.

Hooks up with a local violent group, outlaw bikers or street gang or whatever. This would probably be the most difficult, but it's doable especially for groups involved in arms smuggling.

Pays them $X00,000.

Local thugs goto an elementary school in Bumblefck East Dakota. County school so 4-500 students, but still a relatively small building with limited egress.

Block or bike lock all egress routes.

Dump large quantities of accelerant inside and light.

Bonus points if they have externally accessible sprinkler mains that you can disable, many do.

Leave one guy with a rifle to shoot up the volunteer fire department truck, the two deputies that work in that county,  and other first responders when they show up.

Cheap, easy, deniable, and I'm willing to bet a few hundred little kids getting burned to death would have as much or more emotional impact on Americans as 9/11.

The only reason we haven't seen attacks like this are because so few of the major terror orgs have native Americans on the payroll. The jihadis keep trying for elaborate schemes against heavily protected symbolic targets. My big fear with ISIS is how many Westerners are joining them. Only a matter of time until we see a Beslan or Mumbai or Nairobi in America.  =(

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
I'm surprised that during 2007-2010 time frame there wasn't an attack on a deployment ceremony.  You want to cripple a unit and morale wipe out a few hundred family members of a military unit set to deploy.  You just took that unit out of rotation and have stuck another unit with staying longer than planned because their replacements aren't coming.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »
Local thugs goto an elementary school in Bumblefck East Dakota. County school so 4-500 students, but still a relatively small building with limited egress.

Risky; much better to use the money to arrange supplies and more innocuous assistance, so the one trusted agent can do all the dirty work himself.  Finding a group amoral enough to torch a school full of kids would be far less likely than finding a group that would play along initially then call the FBI the second you're out of earshot.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
Risky; much better to use the money to arrange supplies and more innocuous assistance, so the one trusted agent can do all the dirty work himself.  Finding a group amoral enough to torch a school full of kids would be far less likely than finding a group that would play along initially then call the FBI the second you're out of earshot.

Lol. I'm sure the MS-13 group that you sold a crate full of AK's to last week will go running to the feds as soon as you turn your back.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »
Lol. I'm sure the MS-13 group that you sold a crate full of AK's to last week will go running to the feds as soon as you turn your back.

No, but WHEN they get caught (because they would), they'd sing just as soon as their lawyers show up and work out a deal.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »

Anonymous tip.  They've got at least a good description of you.  Probably a license plate too.  Enough to hand over the info, walk away and let the Feds figure out how to proceed.

Besides, diversity means there are Mexican kids in that school too.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
No, but WHEN they get caught (because they would), they'd sing just as soon as their lawyers show up and work out a deal.

1. Yeah, I'm sure that our rock solid impenetrable border security would prevent MS13 members from fleeing out of our hands. We've got that on lockdown.
2. "Some guy gave us a bunch of money. No I don't know his real name. No I don't know anything about him."
3. Let's say we identify that the attack originated with a Nork or a Saudi or whoever. Do you think the response would be any more vigorous towards the House of Saud than it was after 15 Saudis flew planes into buildings? Maybe in response to continued Saudi funding of terrorism we'd invade Yemen this time.

Anonymous tip.  They've got at least a good description of you.  Probably a license plate too.  Enough to hand over the info, walk away and let the Feds figure out how to proceed.

Besides, diversity means there are Mexican kids in that school too.

Your faith in the humanity and goodness of narco-cartel groups is touching but perhaps misplaced.

I'm really surprised how much skepticism there is to the idea that a terrorist state/organization would be able to successfully pull off the advanced tactic of setting fire to a building. Maybe they can just hire Great White to play a concert there and let nature take its course.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Risky; much better to use the money to arrange supplies and more innocuous assistance, so the one trusted agent can do all the dirty work himself.  Finding a group amoral enough to torch a school full of kids would be far less likely than finding a group that would play along initially then call the FBI the second you're out of earshot.

Why contract out when there's a whole group of *expletive deleted*tards currently in the ME willing to cut the heads off children?    If you can find 19-20 *expletive deleted*tards to fly planes into buildings by convincing them they get to go to paradise, then I doubt it would be too hard to find a few dozen/hundred/thousand more and slip them into this country to do all kinds of damage.  And why just do one school?  Do several (dozen/hundred) or shoot up some/many Walmarts/Malls. (especially this time of year, you want to crash the US Economy?  Now's the time.)  All on the same day, all at the same time.  I'm truly surprised that they haven't attempted it.  That would be terror.  Would all the aholes that would do this die?  Probably most, we'd capture a few, and I can bet if something like that were to happen, Sen Diane Feinstein, would issue a report declaring waterboarding is just hunky-*expletive deleted*ing-dorey, and we need to use "triple extra special enhanced enhanced techniques" on any survivors we manage to put the Habeas Grabbus.   Then fly to Gitmo herself to make sure that they get frog-marched to where she would waterboard them herself.

The fact that they haven't done it yet, just goes to show how a) they fail to understand America; and/or b) how stupid they are; c) how lucky we've been.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:43:48 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.