Author Topic: Gun in safe in house fire.  (Read 710 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Gun in safe in house fire.
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I think I posted about it at the time but my nephew's house burned to the ground back last winter. The family had a decent gun safe and the guns were in it. He brought me his Stoeger autoloader shotgun to evaluate for him this evening.
Of course the first thing I told him was that it needed to go to a professional gunsmith to be checked.
I'm thinking though that it survived. It is one of the  camo  dipped models and the camo is only slightly discolored. The plastic fiber front sight has melted some but not enough that it wouldn't still be use able after cleaning.

His POS  step dad had his all checked out and they were fine but he wouldn't take my nephew's in to be checked out.

what does the APS Braintrust think?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Gun in safe in house fire.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
If the other guns that were in the safe were OK (his stepfather's) then his are fine too.

I think that heat bad enough to damage the firearm itself would have probably completely destroyed the finish.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
If the only damage was deformation of the front sight and slight discoloration of the finish then you're probably fine. Heat high enough to affect mechanicals would have done significant damage to the stock and discolored the metal. I say give it a thorough cleaning, cycle it manually a couple dozen times to check operations, then proof it with some trap loads. If everything seems fine you should be good to go.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »

what does the APS Braintrust think?

I think you are right about his stepfather.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
If the only damage was deformation of the front sight and slight discoloration of the finish then you're probably fine. Heat high enough to affect mechanicals would have done significant damage to the stock and discolored the metal. I say give it a thorough cleaning, cycle it manually a couple dozen times to check operations, then proof it with some trap loads. If everything seems fine you should be good to go.

Brad

This.

Heat high enough to actually alter the temper of the metal parts would have been hot enough to destroy wood or plastic parts completely.  Or a polymer hydro-dipped finish camo pattern.

It's going to be fine.

I promise not to duck.