Author Topic: Throwing Away Guns on the Emigrant Trails  (Read 2686 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Throwing Away Guns on the Emigrant Trails
« on: December 26, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
I was just looking up some history on the Colt 1851 revolver and ran across this bit of text by the National Park Service:

Weapons were considered vital on the emigrant trails. Many men had whole
arsenals after reading about the “Indian problem” in the newspapers. Instead of
firing their guns to protect themselves, often they were the cause of accidents. Hunting
was a pastime that was often unsuccessful although most men wanted to kill a buffalo. After
traveling several hundred miles, it was found that firearms were not as important as assumed
and many guns were discarded along the trail as loads were lightened.

http://www.nps.gov/scbl/planyourvisit/upload/frontier-weapons.pdf

This just seems odd to me. I'm catching an anti-gun tone (oh no - micro-aggression!) which may be my own bias and sensitivity to the firearms issue. But the last part just doesn't make sense to me (the rest of it doesn't make much sense either). Commodities were tight in that period, I would think especially so for those who were making a journey with all their worldly possessions in a wagon. Even if "they had no use for them" I can't see settlers just tossing guns on the side of the trail. They would at least have had to have some significant barter value, making them more valuable than say, an extra cast iron pan or trunk or something (if we use the "lightening the load" argument).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Throwing Away Guns on the Emigrant Trails
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
Yea it doesn't make sense.  I wonder if there is a way to challenge that.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
With so many trading posts & settlements along the way, I doubt anything as valuable as a firearm was ever discarded. That's better than cash money in those parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »
There were a lot of guns taken west with those who followed the California Trail or the Oregon Trail to the Willamette Valley.  There were also many accidents -- one common type  due to the style of weapon.  Flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders, with external hammers.   Remember there were no interstates back then or parks and once you got off the "Oregon Tail" (which was well marked by wagon train ruts some made in rock and STILL THERE TODAY)  you were in the wilds.  Pulling a rifle through brush sometimes caused a branch to snag a hammer, or trigger, and *BLAM!* Ol' Trader Sam got it in the hindquarters.  Or the gun owner.  
It wasn't uncommon to have several guns as the quickest reload was a second or third gun, especially prior to repeater rifles.    Throwing them away?  No, not while you still had transportation, for sure.  
Hunting buffalo pretty much became a specialty of buffalo hunters who prefered the big bore Dropping block or rolling block guns in .50-110 calibers but much of this really happened  later in the 19th century.  Those following the trails hunted deer, rabbit, and other food animals which would probably only rarely include buffalo.  Bears were always good for their furcoats.
It's said that it was the "Winchester" rifle that won the west.   In the decades after the Civil War they did become more prevelant, but prior to it was all muzzleloaders.  Even after the repeating rifles, the Henry, Winchesters, Spencers, Kennedy Repeaters, Marlins, etc. came out they were often scoffed at by real hunters as they usually used what we consider pistol caliber (the .44 Henry Flat was powered by 26 grains of BP and not shockingly powerful, its successor the .44-40 only slightly more impressive).  The Sharps and Remingtons in their singleshot capacity but using the large ... "antiaircraft" >:D [tinfoil]  shells were more loved by the hunters -- especially those after buffalo.
But the idea of people tossing away guns is silly.  Losing them through accident?  Sure.  
There's a lot of photos extant of people who went off west, who had that photo made to send to family who were staying behind.  It's not odd many of these showed the person holding a flintlock, or percussion rifle or shotgun.  They were saying "don't worry, I'm prepared to defend myself, my wife, my children."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
Referring to the Sharps 45-90 in their collection:

The typical load for the 45-90 was a powder charge 90 grains gunpowder with a bullet weighing
400 grams.

Tells me a lot about their "expertise" on firearms matters.  Four hundred grams is almost 6200 grains.

That first article does sound like something from Bellesiles (see REFs), intending to minimize the importance of firearms.

The only way to challenge the statements cited by the OP is to write to them and ask for verification, references, etc.

See also the "Scrutiny" section in the referenced Wiki article to see how we handled the Bellesiles case.

Terry, 230RN

REFs:
Bellesiles--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_America
Scrutiny--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_America#Scrutiny
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:30:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »
Dunno about Oregon Trail, but Jack London wrote something like that in the Smoke Bellew stories.

Sometimes he did not make a hundred yards, and each time he struggled to his feet for another short haul the pack became undeniably heavier. He panted for breath, and the sweat streamed from him. Before he had covered a quarter of a mile he stripped off his woollen shirt and hung it on a tree. A little later he discarded his hat. At the end of half a mile he decided he was finished. He had never exerted himself so in his life, and he knew that he was finished. As he sat and panted, his gaze fell upon the big revolver and the heavy cartridge-belt.

"Ten pounds of junk," he sneered, as he unbuckled it.

He did not bother to hang it on a tree, but flung it into the underbush. And as the steady tide of packers flowed by him, up trail and down, he noted that the other tender-feet were beginning to shed their shooting irons.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1596/pg1596.html
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
The safety aspect, I could definitely see. People have always been careless with firearms.

The jettisoning part, it could be truth, for those on foot, or having to reduce stores after having to leave a wagon behind when it broke.

I don't know much about the historical aspects of the treks west but I do know it was a miserable journey for many.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
The safety aspect, I could definitely see. People have always been careless with firearms.

The jettisoning part, it could be truth, for those on foot, or having to reduce stores after having to leave a wagon behind when it broke.

I don't know much about the historical aspects of the treks west but I do know it was a miserable journey for many.

I could see leaving something even as valuable as a firearm on the side of the trail if you were a family alone and lost your wagon or animals. Some of my other reading suggested a common "arsenal" was a rifle, fowling piece, and pistol, so if you suddenly found yourself on foot, you might choose to keep the rifle and jettison the rest.

If you were in a wagon train though, or you had just lost one of your oxen (another piece I read mentioned having to lighten loads because the animals simply became too tired on the Western portion of the trails) it seems you would prioritize a little differently, or maybe trade your firearms to another settler for something of value, but lighter.

But yeah, the westward treks appear to not have been too much of a joyride. The 1930 film, "The Big Trail" has some interesting scenes depicting the hardships.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
Like the Jack London book above, I have read several books and articles about the massive amounts of goods abandoned along the Chilkoot Trail during the Klondike gold rush.  I can see how for a whole lot of people, the weight and mass of a firearm did not translate into a corresponding benefit, so it was tossed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Like the Jack London book above, I have read several books and articles about the massive amounts of goods abandoned along the Chilkoot Trail during the Klondike gold rush.  I can see how for a whole lot of people, the weight and mass of a firearm did not translate into a corresponding benefit, so it was tossed.

And yet firearms were the only thing mentioned by the park service (not iron skillets, books, stoneware, etc)  Sounds like propaganda to me.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

An article on the Oregon Trail specifically mentioned that early settlers wrote letters and even guidebooks for those following from back East with suggestions for travel. One of them was "travel light", with mention of keeping wagon loads under 2000 lbs.

If early travelers were anything like modern travelers, they probably gave lip service to "travel light" but kept their loads at around 1999 lbs. :)  I can see how animals would tire out or drop dead under those loads (not to mention there must have been a bunch of broken wheels and axles).

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »
And yet firearms were the only thing mentioned by the park service (not iron skillets, books, stoneware, etc)  Sounds like propaganda to me.
:facepalm:

The PDF is a brochure on frontier firearms, not other household goods. I don't see "propaganda"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
I don't see something like a firearm having much bartering power when everybody else on the trail probably brought there own.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
I don't see something like a firearm having much bartering power when everybody else on the trail probably brought there own.

Like any machine, firearms wear out, need repair, get upgraded, etc. Someone who's lived in a settlement on the trail for a few years might look highly on a new gun brought by the incoming tenderfeet.....

....kinda like we do today when we go to the gun show.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »

It's a frontier, and it seems we're talking about places not yet reached by rail, or near navigable rivers? Then there's a shortage of pretty much everything made in factories, or by skilled labor.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
I could see leaving something even as valuable as a firearm on the side of the trail if you were a family alone and lost your wagon or animals. Some of my other reading suggested a common "arsenal" was a rifle, fowling piece, and pistol, so if you suddenly found yourself on foot, you might choose to keep the rifle and jettison the rest.

Kim DuToit, when he was still blogging, ran an almost annual "What gun (historical or modern) would you bring to cross frontier America?" thread.  While there were lots of proponents for handguns and rifles, the consensus seemed to always end up with the shotgun and it's variety of possible loads from birdshot to buckshot to slugs.  Versitility won out over weight.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »

If you were in a wagon train though, or you had just lost one of your oxen (another piece I read mentioned having to lighten loads because the animals simply became too tired on the Western portion of the trails) it seems you would prioritize a little differently, or maybe trade your firearms to another settler for something of value, but lighter.

But yeah, the westward treks appear to not have been too much of a joyride. The 1930 film, "The Big Trail" has some interesting scenes depicting the hardships.

There were plenty of graves dug along the Oregon Trail, and the California Trail.
For an interesting read see Honoré Morrow's book "On To Oregon" which recounts the Sager Family's trek from Missouri to Oregon in the 1840s.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »
You might be able to trade a firearm to an Indian for some pemmican . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain