Author Topic: A better way to cook a steak?  (Read 1641 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
A better way to cook a steak?
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

I have one in the oven now.  I will report once consumed.   =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: A better way to cook a steak?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »
Sort of a dry version of sous vide cooking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
Initial findings are very favorable, however many, many, many more experiments need to be performed.

=D =D =D =D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Was it evenly cooked from edge to edge?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
Wife bought me a bunch of frozen Omaha Steaks for Christmas.  They are small but very thick, and I don't know how to cook something like that.
I've prepared a few by cooking on top of the stove in a oven-proof nonstick pan (with a little butter) until well-browned on both sides but still raw in the middle.  Then stick them in the oven for 10 minutes or so.  It's working pretty well.

Is that pretty close to what's in the video?
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
Wife bought me a bunch of frozen Omaha Steaks for Christmas.  They are small but very thick, and I don't know how to cook something like that.
I've prepared a few by cooking on top of the stove in a oven-proof nonstick pan (with a little butter) until well-browned on both sides but still raw in the middle.  Then stick them in the oven for 10 minutes or so.  It's working pretty well.

Reverse.  Oven first, then sear.

And get rid of that non-stick abomination and get something with lots & lots of mass.  BIG cast iron that's also thick.  Start warming the cast iron - dry - in the oven before you put the meat in, then put it on the burner till you consider either unplugging the smoke alarm or opening the and running a big box fan - all while your meat is in the oven.  Take the steak out of the oven and let it rest - I like 10 minutes/pound.  When rested, drop on the cast iron and sear, then flip and sear.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
And get rid of that non-stick abomination and get something with lots & lots of mass.

It's a Calphalon (sp?) pan that's thicker than cast iron and has a higher specific heat. :)  (how did you know the smoke alarm went off?)

I will have to try oven first and then sear it.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
Ha ha - the hardest part of properly searing a steak indoors for me is the smoke alarm as well.

Funny story (not at the time). A few years ago, Hot Ukrainian Coworker and I were doing an assignment at a remote Navy site that had one guy in charge of the otherwise deserted installation. HUC and me were cooking dinner for the three of us. I was searing carne asada in a cast iron pan in the galley. They had some kind of industrial stove that made the pan super hot much quicker than I was used to. Set off the fire alarm like ten seconds after I threw the meat in the pan. The Navy guy was in the shower, so HUC and I were running around for like five minutes before we found the cutoff switch to the alarm. In the meantime, it had automatically phoned Point Mugu and China Lake NAS, which started callbacks on two different phones (including a red one) and a radio (no cell reception). By then the Navy guy had got out of the shower, heard the commotion, and came running down to the galley wearing just a towel. He then had to get on comms and explain about the false alarm and the two dumbass scientists. Dinner was delicious though.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »
Reverse.  Oven first, then sear.

And get rid of that non-stick abomination and get something with lots & lots of mass.  BIG cast iron that's also thick.  Start warming the cast iron - dry - in the oven before you put the meat in, then put it on the burner till you consider either unplugging the smoke alarm or opening the and running a big box fan - all while your meat is in the oven.  Take the steak out of the oven and let it rest - I like 10 minutes/pound.  When rested, drop on the cast iron and sear, then flip and sear.

stay safe.
I have eaten pork ribs done like that before, but grilled with some mesquite smoke instead of searing.  

The comments on thick steaks are why I don't like extra thick steaks always.  I don't like raw or bloody meat.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »
I don't  mind a little moo when I eat steaks .

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »

Ummmmm, no.   In the oven at 275F for 45min - 1 hr per pound.  Once it reaches desire internal temp (at least 125F) then let it rest 15 minutes per pound.   Hot cast iron with a bit of oil.  Sear 1-2 minutes per side.  Serve and eat while still hot.

I did mine to 135F then seared for 1.5 minutes and then 2.5 minutes.  It was nice a medium rare through out.  And very, very, very tasty.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:16 AM »
So a 400 degree oven is bad?  I was mainly trying to make sure the bacon wrap was fully cooked.

Mmmm, bacon.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:22 AM »
Something I did recently was a cast iron pan and about 1/4" of grapeseed oil for an initial sear, then finished it in the oven. Loved it, the grapeseed has a pretty neutral flavor and a ridiculous smoke point.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »
So a 400 degree oven is bad?  I was mainly trying to make sure the bacon wrap was fully cooked.

Mmmm, bacon.

Oven?  Low & slow.

Bacon goes on after the steak comes out of the oven and has rested.  (If it needs additional fat to cook you have too low a grade of meat.  (Cutter & canner is really not good, mkay?)

Pan for searing?  Between yellow and white hot.  Wear mitts.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
Whenever I do bacon wrapped anything, I pre-cook the bacon until it's done, but still rubbery and then let whatever cooking process I'm using for the "anything" finish it up to make it crispy.   Most foods will cook to done before the bacon, if started raw.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
Some of these steaks came prewrapped in bacon. 

I went to Omaha Steaks website but I can't find this particular package.  Wife says it was a TV promotion sale item; $50 for $150 worth of meat (no idea what the shipping costs were, they came FedEx'd in 2 big Styrofoam cubes with blocks of dry ice.  (they would have easily fit in one container if they weren't in little boxes in groups of 2 or 4)  They're individually vacuum sealed; it's probably about 15 pounds of beef total, and a couple of pork chops, 8 "twice baked potatoes", and 4 little apple tarts.

We ate the apple tarts for breakfast on Christmas day. ;)  I had pretty low expectations for them, but they were good too.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
Preferred steaks for us are 8-10 ounce filets from a local butcher shop (The House of Meat).  No bacon, about 1.5" thick.  Salt pretty heavy with sea salt.  On my Weber gas grill (charcoal purists,  I use gas for short, high heat cooks, and charcoal for low and slow), about 4-5 minutes per side, lid closed.  Drop it on the grate, don't touch it until flip time, take it off at around 10 minutes, let it sit on the plate and rest a bit.  Turns out a good medium rare.  Awesome.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark