Author Topic: Curious about computer virus infecting an entire system. Question for IT gurus  (Read 786 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
I have a friend who has had her work computer repossessed for the second time due to an infection in their system. She says it came in via email (don't most of them?) the day before Christmas and she did not open it. Now she is being told every computer and server in their system is infected. Is this possible, I guess it is. How does something like this happen, don't most organizations run some type of high dollar anti-virus?

I am just kind of curious about this, when we had one of these slip through it only infected the machine the email was opened on (so they say).

bob

Calumus

• friend
How big is the company? In my experience  most small and midsized businesses don't actually have a coherent security policy. One PC is running Norton, another, Security Essentials. Then you have the really cheap ones running old versions of Symantec security that someone gave them for their server back in 03 and it hasn't been updated since 06... I have one client who leased a server and 15 POS systems from a vendor who demanded that they run McAfee security as a service on everything on the premises. It has to be the least effective system I'm ever seen. I've cleaned infections off of every single PC in the place half a dozen times since they had me make the switch.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
For Calumus: http://youtu.be/bKgf5PaBzyg NSFW
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
I guess in the IT world it would be considered fairly small. Two hospitals, a College of Nursing, a physicians group and a couple of smaller clinics. My initial thought was much what you said, either inadequate or not updating their anti-virus or other security measures.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
I have a friend who has had her work computer repossessed for the second time due to an infection in their system. She says it came in via email (don't most of them?) the day before Christmas and she did not open it. Now she is being told every computer and server in their system is infected. Is this possible, I guess it is. How does something like this happen, don't most organizations run some type of high dollar anti-virus?

I am just kind of curious about this, when we had one of these slip through it only infected the machine the email was opened on (so they say).

bob

It is possible.   I've seen some that copy themselves across the network to open shares.    Cryptolocker and variants will encrypt (not the same as infect) everything reachable from the infected machine.

"High dollar AV"  No, not really (high dollar that is).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

bob

Only two options. Her PC did run the virus (sometimes preview will work) or someone else ran the virus.

Having been in this place, it's not exactly easy. When I first started at my present company, I was in the middle of doing "InfoSec 101" implementation, budget was approved but the money was tied up due to our aquisition. We got hit with Cryptolocker. The IDS on our router stopped it from talking back to the botnet, but it did take down a bunch of server files. We elected not to let Cryptolocker talk to the botnet and pay the ransom, and recovered from backup. The company was running BitDefender on all PCs, but no centralized patching.

Good security is actually easy. Great security is hard.

How to secure a SMB network:

- Have a firewall (you'd think this would be obvious...)Examples: Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, mikrotik, SonicWall
- Have some way to push OS patches Examples: WSUS, GFI LanGuard, wpkg.org
- Have some way to push application updatesExamples: PDQ Deploy, Ninite Pro
- Have a decent antivirus, with centralized controlExamples: Kaspersky
- Monthly reboots are a good idea. Examples: PSShutdown or shutdown /i
- Rapid recovery (disk to disk to tape being the best)Examples: Veeam
- Either scan your incoming email or pay someone else to do so

There's a possibility that said virus came in on a thumb drive, burned CD or DVD or visiting laptop.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
If it's not already being done setting up mail on a MAPI server helps. Lets you centrally control/update primary mail AV strategies, malware scanning, and attachment permissions. Also helps mobilize office productivity without the need for multiple mail sync systems.

There's the added plus of internal mail archiving. This alone is a worthwhile considerable thought for the data integrity, risk managment, and company security benefits.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:21:46 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB