Author Topic: An article about bit coin  (Read 4119 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: An article about bit coin
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
What do you feel that this problem signifies?
Bubble.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »
Put the central banks in charge of bitcoin.  Problem solved.   :P

Seriously, bitcoin just dropped ~80% in a year.  That's borderline hyperinflation territory.  This isn't a problem for you?

Relative currency valuations is not exactly the same thing as inflation/deflation. The relationship between goods (and debts) and the currency is.

Although in this case I'll admit it's a good stand-in as Bitcoin is still new enough to not have an "internal economy" onto itself that's independent of external comparison.

But as Micro explains, the point of Bitcoin (from the standpoint of people who created it) isn't an investment vehicle, it's to function as a currency, and most importantly, one that's free of statist and corporatist influences. Obviously it does need to represent a stable store of value over reasonable lengths of time to do so, and hopefully it will as it matures. For all I know, the devaluation of Bitcoin is a good thing, because it's lowering entry barriers to more potential users, and people will start using it as an exchange medium rather than a speculation/investment vehicle.

So much of the criticisms of Bitcoin are like someone ragging on the Wright Bros. because they didn't come up with a 747 right out of the gate. Someone/something has to be first, someone has to try.
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
Does that explanation and theory really comfort and warm those in face of the reality of the loss of actual buying power?

I'm not opposed to bitcoin but it doesn't look like a real attractive alternative either.

Nothing I do really requires anonymity so what value does bitcoin offer me? Certainly not stability.

I want out of our fiat system for stability as well as preservation of wealth. Bitcoin isn't delivering so far IMHO. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
But as Micro explains, the point of Bitcoin (from the standpoint of people who created it) isn't an investment vehicle, it's to function as a currency, and most importantly, one that's free of statist and corporatist influences. Obviously it does need to represent a stable store of value over reasonable lengths of time to do so, and hopefully it will as it matures. For all I know, the devaluation of Bitcoin is a good thing, because it's lowering entry barriers to more potential users, and people will start using it as an exchange medium rather than a speculation/investment vehicle.
Is the purpose of bitcoin really to function as currency?  If so, it doesn't seem like it's working.  Good currency has several characteristics:  it's useful as a medium of exchange, as a store of value, for communicating prices/value of goods, etc.  Bitcoin can't do any of that worth a darn.

If the big point of bitcoin is to be exchangeable independent of government regulation and oversight, well then that's something different.  Bitcoin isn't monitored by government, but that's because it's an obscure novelty that nobody really cares about.  If bitcoin ever gains widespread acceptance, then you can be sure that government will find a way to muscle in on it.  This isn't a shortcoming of bitcoin, it's a shortcoming of government, and bitcoin can't fix it.

Bitcoin is caught in a catch 22 in this regard.  Its success will be its demise.

So much of the criticisms of Bitcoin are like someone ragging on the Wright Bros. because they didn't come up with a 747 right out of the gate. Someone/something has to be first, someone has to try.
Fair enough.  Try all you like.  I hope you succeed some day.  

To me, today, bitcoin just feels phony.  At the risk of offending people, and that's not my intent, I see bitcoin as a libertarian version of the Prius.  It's just a tribal identifier. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
Put the central banks in charge of bitcoin.  Problem solved.   :P

Seriously, bitcoin just dropped ~80% in a year.  That's borderline hyperinflation territory.  This isn't a problem for you?

And how much have precious metals fallen?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic