Author Topic: 132 year old winchester found in park  (Read 3285 times)

zahc

• friend
132 year old winchester found in park
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/132-year-old-winchester-rifle-found-propped-under-desert-tree/

I wonder if it was loaded. All those years, just think, an unsecured gun. Amazing that nobody died.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
Re: 132 year old winchester found in park
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
I like the speculation on how it got there...

For some reason the picture reminds of a scene from 'No Country for Old Men'- would have been cool to have found a skeleton next to it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »
Looks like you could not just swish it around in a puddle then kick the mud off it and go off to war with it.

Although with that orange tape it does resemble several AK-varients we've see pictures of. :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
Yeah, that was my great great grampa's.  Thanks for finding it, I'll just be taking that back now.....  =D
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »
"No big mystery," wrote Kenneth Larson. "A hunter left it. Set it against the tree, took care of the deer, drug it or packed it out on a horse. Got to the bottom and realized he'd left the rifle and said screw it. Or went back and couldn't find it.”

I don't think I buy this theory.  A lot of money shelled out for those guns and I can't see someone forgetting it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »
I wouldn't buy the "screw it" option but I could see not being able to find it. My guess is that per capita there were just as many dumbasses then as now.  No way to really know how long it's been there.
Of course there are people that have the mind set to pull something crusty out of a barn and "place" it somewhere to see if they could get a reaction.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »
Of course there are people that have the mind set to pull something crusty out of a barn and "place" it somewhere to see if they could get a reaction.

Or it may have been misplaced a whole let less than 123 years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
Perhaps a poacher got scared off by someone and never got to the chance to go back for the gun.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 04:18:16 AM »
It's very easy to lean your gun against a tree while field dressing whatever you've just downed, get done and wonder where the hell you left your gun.

I could easily see starting to pack out your harvest and not realizing you left it and then go back a can't find it.

Not that hard to believe.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:45 AM »

Or it may have been misplaced a whole let less than 123 years ago.

I wouldn't buy the "screw it" option but I could see not being able to find it. My guess is that per capita there were just as many dumbasses then as now.  No way to really know how long it's been there.

Wood only gets that color by sitting out in the sun for a long time. Judging by the condition of the stock, it was likely out there for at least a decade. Hard to say how long past that, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
is it just me, or is anyone else kind of sad that they didn't leave it in place?

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »
What's sad is that it was wasted, sitting out there for so long. I'm glad it will now be preserved.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
is it just me, or is anyone else kind of sad that they didn't leave it in place?

I would rather see it put back in working condition.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
What if it belonged to a guy in a tree stand who expired, the gun fell to lean against the tree and for some reason no one bothered to look up.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »

You think that's possible?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »
What if it belonged to a guy in a tree stand who expired, the gun fell to lean against the tree and for some reason no one bothered to look up.

People usually don't hunt out of tree stands in Nevada. Too few animals in too large an area, so sitting in one spot for a long period is usually a waste of time, and there usually aren't any trees around in most places anyway. Junipers also wouldn't make a good place for a tree stand...they usually don't get all that big.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 11:13:27 AM »
Wow, gun sat out there all those years, all alone, and still didn't kill anyone.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
People usually don't hunt out of tree stands in Nevada. Too few animals in too large an area, so sitting in one spot for a long period is usually a waste of time, and there usually aren't any trees around in most places anyway. Junipers also wouldn't make a good place for a tree stand...they usually don't get all that big.

Just pointing out that this https://www.google.com/maps/@36.260829,-115.647806,3a,75y,251.76h,98.51t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sljO98nP-N1gAAAQJO4xgHg!2e0!3e11?hl=en is about 45 minutes from downtown L.V.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
You think that's possible?
Preserved at least. 

Yeah, it might be possible, depending on how bad the corrosion is. 

If it was leaning against a tree that long down here right on the Gulf Coast, it would be a pile of rust and rotten wood.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:16 AM »
Just pointing out that this https://www.google.com/maps/@36.260829,-115.647806,3a,75y,251.76h,98.51t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sljO98nP-N1gAAAQJO4xgHg!2e0!3e11?hl=en is about 45 minutes from downtown L.V.

So is this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0526022,-115.7352912,3a,75y,216.92h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbiE6Fo99BckUYa6pqD6YmQ!2e0?hl=en

And a hell of a lot more of Nevada looks like that than like your first image. ;)

I grew up in Northern Nevada. I didn't know ANYONE who hunted from a tree stand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 07:34:13 AM »
So is this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0526022,-115.7352912,3a,75y,216.92h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbiE6Fo99BckUYa6pqD6YmQ!2e0?hl=en

Heading TO Pahrump, or coming back?   :lol:

And you're totally correct.  Your shot looks more like the area where we go to shoot in the desert... but that's off 95.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »

That would be a heck of a commercial for Winchester.

As for how it got there, I'm going with the unable to retrieve; either by death, injury or being chased off by people or animals.  You just don't leave your gun because it's too far to walk back to, and I have trouble believing that it was any less important to get it if you could at a time when people still had to hunt for their dinner in that area.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 01:36:01 PM »
That would be a heck of a commercial for Winchester.

As for how it got there, I'm going with the unable to retrieve; either by death, injury or being chased off by people or animals.  You just don't leave your gun because it's too far to walk back to, and I have trouble believing that it was any less important to get it if you could at a time when people still had to hunt for their dinner in that area.

Also that "sold for the equivalent of $1000 in today's money" lends to that theory. Anyone here gonna walk off and leave a $1000 gun because it's too much trouble to walk back to it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »
Also that "sold for the equivalent of $1000 in today's money" lends to that theory. Anyone here gonna walk off and leave a $1000 gun because it's too much trouble to walk back to it?

Only if it's "too much trouble" because the bear wants it more than I do...and even then I'd likely find the next guy down the trail and offer to show him where there's a big tasty bear if he'll help me get my gun back.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Heading TO Pahrump, or coming back?   :lol:

:lol:

I just chose a random spot. Only been down to southern NV a handful of times, and it was always via 95.