Author Topic: SOTU  (Read 3847 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
SOTU
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
12 was the over/under in the "Let Me Be Clear" SOTU Prop pool and I took the over.  Could someone that watched it, tell me if I won?

Some folks wanted to do it as a drinking game, but I'm too old too get that hammered anymore.

Other then that how much was Marx and how much was Founding Fathers?

I had 100%/0% on that one.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: SOTU
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:55 AM »
All I know is that they announced that this person would be doing a post-SOTU interview of Obama as part of "new ways to connect with the American people". And I thought having guys skateboard through the Whitehouse was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc06khDks1w

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/01/15/state-younion-youtube-creators-interview-president-obama-live-white-house
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:51:25 AM »
All I know is that they announced that this person would be doing a post-SOTU interview of Obama as part of "new ways to connect with the American people". And I thought having guys skateboard through the Whitehouse was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc06khDks1w

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/01/15/state-younion-youtube-creators-interview-president-obama-live-white-house

Considering this is the president that inflicted John Kerry (He was in Vietnam, you know) and James Taylor's singing upon France...and thinks DVDs are great gifts of state...this just fits right in.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »
Do people still watch this stuff?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
I am waiting for the headline "Two Dead After SOTU Drinking Game".  Took drink every time the President said "I" and died of alcohol poisoning. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
. . . And I thought having guys skateboard through the Whitehouse was bad . . .
The dignity of the office of POTUS has been under assault ever since Slick Willie kicked the Boy Scouts, Culver Military Academy equestrians, and the VMI cadets out of the inaugural parade, and replaced them with Elvis impersonators, a lawn-chair drill team and the Gay and Lesbian Band of America.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
The SOTU speech in a nutshell:

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »
The SOTU speech in a nutshell:

Shouldn't those rainbows be shooting out of his ass?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Shouldn't those rainbows be shooting out of his ass?

I'm trying to keep it PG rated.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
I heard that Joni Ernst' response was also horrible. Something about a bus full of kids with bread bags on their feet?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
I heard that Joni Ernst' response was also horrible. Something about a bus full of kids with bread bags on their feet?

It is a rural growing up thing in the 1950s-1970's. You only had one nice pair of shoes and when the weather was crappy outside, you slipped bread sacks over your shoes to keep them dry.

I read her speech late last night, I was watching basketball instead when it was live.

If you want to read it, it doesn't take too long and there isn't any abstracts

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2015/01/20/excerpts-from-joni-ernsts-big-speech-tonight/22073457/

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »

Also "Stepford wife" seems to be making the rounds. I didn't see the response, so don't know if it's just the left or everybody saying it. I read a little bit about the bread bags, and I get it, as would much of flyover country, but young voters and the coasts are gonna probably think it's weird/silly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »
It is a rural growing up thing in the 1950s-1970's. You only had one nice pair of shoes and when the weather was crappy outside, you slipped bread sacks over your shoes to keep them dry.

We lined our snow boots with them to keep socks dry.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Also "Stepford wife" seems to be making the rounds. I didn't see the response, so don't know if it's just the left or everybody saying it. I read a little bit about the bread bags, and I get it, as would much of flyover country, but young voters and the coasts are gonna probably think it's weird/silly.

The libs are pissed because she is a real person who didn't grow up privileged and is a Republican. It is that simple.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
The libs are pissed because she is a real person who didn't grow up privileged and is a Republican. It is that simple.

I agree of course, it's just that I think some of what's happening is the libs are globbing on to "bread bags" the same as most of us did with Obama and arugula. Cultural disconnects.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
I just can't watch that guy.   Seeing him, or hearing him speak, makes my gag reflex kick in.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
FIFU

That's a wheelbarrow. Not a nutshell.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »

The first big national speech you have is not the time to be trotting out homey little tidbits that the majority of the people yo0u're addressing won't understand.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
We lined our snow boots with them to keep socks dry.

I did that one not too many years ago; shoes were soaked, but I had a pair of dry socks with me.  A bread bag and the grocery bag the bread also came in kept the socks relatively dry for the drive home.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
I just can't watch that guy.   Seeing him, or hearing him speak, makes my gag reflex kick in.
Me too. It's at a very visceral level too. Not a healthy feeling for me to indulge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
I avoid political speeches in general.  I find that nothing of substance is usually said.  True even for people I agree with most of the time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
That's a wheelbarrow. Not a nutshell.
There might be some nut shells in there somewhere
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.