Author Topic: Wounded Warrios Project = SCAM?  (Read 4251 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Wounded Warrios Project = SCAM?
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
I'm posting this in Politics because I expect any discussion will tend in that direction. And we don't have a discussion area for "Can You Believe this [Bleep]?"

I knew most of this, but I just received an e-mail from a Vietnam Seabee friend that reminded me about the whole sordid mess. Bottom line is: If you want to help wounded veterans, DON'T give your money to the WWP.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/12/08/wounded-warriors-project-a-legal-scam/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Wounded Warrios Project = SCAM?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
Yep they turned into a professional fundraising company several years ago. More on their stance on guns:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:28 AM »
People here have experience with IAVA don't they? Fisher House? Where else would people recommend to donate?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
But they have the trendy fireman's carry logo and cool name  :facepalm:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
The guy that started WWP had a really cool idea, about going directly to vets while they were still in the hospital and get them started on "what to do when I get out (of the hospital and military)"

Then the money started flowing in by the tanker-truck-load.   It grew to big for a couple of vets to run so they outsource a lot and hired "professional" non-profit staffers*.  It became a fundraising and marketing machine.   Which like many charities became more focused on keeping the money rolling in, and less on actually doing stuff with the money as was the original intent.   That's why it pays to check the 990's and look them up on Charity Navigator.

Fisher House%, Homes for Heroes# are ones to whom I donate $$$.  Purple Heart and Vietnam Veterans of America get the castoffs to re-sell.

I'm sure there are others, someone mention IAVA, but I have seen or heard what they do.  Perhaps someone can provide info what they do and how they do it.

*-  Many professional Non-profit types are very anti-2A.  Simply because professional Non-profit types are the epitome of liberal do-gooder types.  Since they work for "non-profits" they are better then everyone else because they are focused on Charity and Good Works, not that evil profit motive like the rest of the untermenshen.

%- Fisher House is like a Ronald McDonald house for the families of wounded servicemembers, but with out the hamburger selling clown.   They provide free airfare and lodging to get the family to the military hospital near the facility the wounded servicemember is being treated for as long as he/she is there.  If the servicemember is transferred to a different facility, then the family is moved to a Fisher House there.   They number I saw showed that roughly $0.96 of every $1.00 goes to that end.   

#- Homes for Heroes builds or modifies homes for Wounded Warriors and their families to make them functional and accessible for them.  From what I have seen, $.95 to $.99 of every $1.00 goes to providing that, often with contractors donating or substantially reducing the cost of materials and/or labor.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
Know anything about the VFW Children's Home?  (http://www.vfwnationalhome.org/)  That's the one I give a little to every month.
"It's good, though..."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
http://www.unitscholarshipfund.org/

99% goes to the scholarships, and the chairman is a personal friend.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Know anything about the VFW Children's Home?  (http://www.vfwnationalhome.org/)  That's the one I give a little to every month.

That's not a bad one.  They seem to spend about 75% of every dollar on supporting the widows and orphans of servicemembers.  14% admin fees (which yeah, if your taking care of 42 homes on 472 acres, there might be above average expenses.)

http://www.vfwnationalhome.org/page.aspx?pid=410

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6974#.VMWfGC7nU74

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 06:42:21 AM »
Folds Of Honor gives scholarships to dependents of wounded or killed service members.  Based in Tulsa, OK by a Air National Guard Major.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
Folds Of Honor gives scholarships to dependents of wounded or killed service members.  Based in Tulsa, OK by a Air National Guard Major.

There are lots of good, small local charities where 90+% of the money raised* goes to the cause.

*-  And CharityNavigator.com has good info on most.  Most file 990's, but if not, they should have their financials either on-line or available for review.  Check to make sure.

Getting back to the OP; WWP is a fundraising machine, whose founders saw dollar signs and got greedy.  Like I said, it was a great idea, but they have poorly executed the concept. And then they handed  it over to "professionals" who skim as much as they can get away with.  And yes, $150k for a parade is NOT helping Wounded Warriors.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
I like IAVA, and donated a bunch to them after throwing a benefit concert.

That said, they're not a "charity" in the traditional sense. They've been crucial in pushing for various bits of legislation (SAV act, ), as well as providing things like free suits for vets with job interviews, career advice/resume writing, etc.

They have employment and mental health programs... they have regional communities that are VERY active with various projects.

I don't think of them as a "charity" but more of a veteran's service organization / lobbying group.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
So here I was sitting in an IHOP in Dubai,
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »
So here I was sitting in an IHOP in Dubai,

Wasn't Kerry wounded?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
IIRC, Kerry got three boo-boo owies in Vietnam. At least one of which he did to himself.

[barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
IIRC, Kerry got three boo-boo owies in Vietnam. At least one of which he did to himself.

[barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]

I like the irony of the picture that freakazoid posted.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »
I have a friend that donates a lot to WWP. Will pass this info on to him
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »
After a media go-round exposing charity administrative skims in the '70s, I decided all my charity should be local and under my direct control.  I'd hear about a needy situation, do some research, and contact the treasurer of my church to give my contribution directly to the affected party.  (This, in addition to my regular contributions when they passed the plate on Sundays, of course.)

That way, the entirety of my contribution, except maybe for the church's postage or the Deacon's gas to deliver it, went to where I wanted it to go.

I hated to be hardnosed about it, but the only bigcharity.org contributions I made were at work during the usual United Way campaigns, where they "needed" 100% contributions to "win" a back-patting mention and certificate.

I usually contributed a whole $1.00 and designated one of the NRA programs as a recipient --just so our division could win the 100% award*.  (United Way allows you to designate the destination charity. But you have to press on them a little to find this out and get a listing of the organization codes to "route" your contribution.)

Terry, 230RN

*Sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't, so I guess there were other skinflints in the Division as well as li'l ole me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:46:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.