Author Topic: Don't forget to duck  (Read 893 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Don't forget to duck
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:20 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2924110/Asteroid-set-pass-close-Monday-ll-able-binoculars-Earth-s-closest-call-2027-poses-no-threat-foreseeable-future.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Monday evening is set to see Earth's closet call with an asteroid until 2027.

The asteroid, designated 2004 BL86, will safely pass about three times the distance of Earth to the moon on January 26 - so close.

It will be the closest by any known space rock this large until asteroid 1999 AN10 flies past Earth in 2027.

Observers in the Americas, Europe, and Africa have the best seats for seeing this interloper during its brightest time: from 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Monday evening, January 26th, until about 1 a.m. EST on the 27th. 

During this time 2004 BL86 will be heading northward through the dim constellation Cancer.

It skims the eastern edge of a star cluster called the Beehive (or Messier 44) from about midnight to 12:30 a.m. EST.

Astronomers say there is nothing to be concerned about.  I'm going to wear a bicycle helmet Monday night, just in case.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Don't forget to duck
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »
Bumping to the top.

If you go outside tonight and get your noggin cracked, don't blame me.  I tried to warn you.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
It skims the eastern edge of a star cluster called the Beehive (or Messier 44) from about midnight to 12:30 a.m. EST.

So that's 10PM to 10:30PM MST tonight.  I must warn the messier beekeepers among us.

<Terry omits signing this and runs and hides>  

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
I like the smugness of the headline that says nothing to worry about until 2027. When we have no idea how many asteroids are nearby and have earth intersecting orbits.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:56 PM »

So that's 10PM to 10:30PM MST tonight.  I must warn the messier beekeepers among us.

<Terry omits signing this and runs and hides>  

I have not been hit by an asteroid so I reject your armageddon prediction!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »
Just want to report that I had a spectacular view - of solid overcast from Northeast Storm Snowmageddon Whateverth.

And also a visit from a local Deputy who wondered 1) why I did not know there was a Winter Weather Advisory suggesting travel be limited, and 2) by the way what the heck was I doing out in the boonies at that time of night with a pair of binoculars pointed up at the sky.  I think the first time I told him I was looking for an asteroid he thought I might be calling him a name.

But all was not lost.  I can report that a pair of el cheapo 8x35 binos, that were stuffed in a box of something I had bought much like the prize is in a box of Cracker Jacks, do not fog internally when going in and out of a nice warm van.

stay safe.