Author Topic: Well-defined frontal boundaries.  (Read 2608 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Well-defined frontal boundaries.
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »
Currently 76 deg F at the Mesonet sensor station a few blocks from me (south side of Lubbock). Temp at the station just north of town, a mere 10 miles away? 58 deg F. Can you say, "Well defined frontal boundary", boys and girls? I knew you could.

Amarillo, not quite two hours north, has dropped to a balmy 34. We should see similar temps by nightfall.

You can call High Plains weather a lot of things, but boring isn't one of them.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:49:39 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Well-defined frontal boundaries.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
I was half expecting "something else" =D.

We're under a winter storm warning here, calling for 2"-6" ;/
With our area though that means either we ain't getting crap or we're gonna get hammered.
Of course I get to work right through the whole thing. I'm so glad Fleet ops decided that my mud and snow tires I had managed to finagle for my van needed to be replaced with highway tread tires.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
I've had just about all I can take of "global warming" around here. As I sit at the keyboard (1940 hours), the outdoor temperature is a balmy 5 degrees (F), and expected to get into negative numbers before morning. Had snow last night, about the fifth or sixth storm that left appreciable accumulations this year alone (not counting anything from 2014).

The distressing part of it is, with locations all across the country reporting record-setting LOW temperatures, the true believers will just sit back and say it's all due to global warming (or the new buzz word: "climate change"). It ain't climate change, Skippy, it's "weather."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
I was half expecting "something else" =D.

We're under a winter storm warning here, calling for 2"-6" ;/
With our area though that means either we ain't getting crap or we're gonna get hammered.
Of course I get to work right through the whole thing. I'm so glad Fleet ops decided that my mud and snow tires I had managed to finagle for my van needed to be replaced with highway tread tires.

2-6 inches? How quaint.  :-*

Right now at Ice Station Fly320s the temp is 3. Winds are from the NW at 31 with gusts to 46. This morning I cleaned up the 14 inches of snow we got last night.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
Here is global warming in NH. That tall mound is my grill.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
Here in the intermountain West, we've been having record-setting HIGH temperatures. Warmest winter I can remember. The true believers will point at both extremes in weather, and the fact that there are both, as "proof".

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »
This was yesterday afternoon, about 1:00pm

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
40 deg F temp drop in three hours. And falling. Expecting mid 20s by morning. At least the winds are staying relatively light and the ice storm will be mostly to our east. Unfortunately my parents are right in the middle of an area expected to get 0.5"-1.0" ice accumulation in the next 24 hrs.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »
It's coming down pretty good here now. Not sure what I'd call it, not quite sleet, not quite soda fountain crushed ice.
Probably ought to be pretty slick on the roads by the time I leave for work in just under 2 hours.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
40 deg F temp drop in three hours. And falling. Expecting mid 20s by morning. At least the winds are staying relatively light and the ice storm will be mostly to our east. Unfortunately my parents are right in the middle of an area expected to get 0.5"-1.0" ice accumulation in the next 24 hrs.

Brad

Time for them to hit the grocery store and buy up all the bread and milk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
So far we've got about 1/2"  of snow on top of about a 1/4"  of ice and it's snowing hard enough to make visibility a problem.   On my 40 Mile drive I saw 2 trucks off the road and I expected to see the guy with Florida plates that blew by me like I was parked in the ditch but I exited before that happened.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »
Damn street crews are running plows/blades and removing the snow down to the ice but aren't dumping any damn salt and/or sand down so they are making things worse.  At least with the snow there would be some damn traction. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
65 F down here this morning.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »
I expected to see the guy with Florida plates that blew by me like I was parked in the ditch but I exited before that happened.
He probably lived in Minnesota for 85 years and was wondering what you thought the big deal was.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
Got down to 62 here. At my real home it went to -5 last night. Pretty sad to go out and see people wearing winter coats when it is 60.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
Time for them to hit the grocery store and buy up all the bread and milk.

If you are going to get bread and milk you might as well get eggs so you can make french toast.

If you are really concerned about getting snowed in I would expect you to begin hoarding TP.  (Also, you might want to check with the females in the house to see if they need replenishments.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
Currently 76 deg F at the Mesonet sensor station a few blocks from me (south side of Lubbock). Temp at the station just north of town, a mere 10 miles away? 58 deg F. Can you say, "Well defined frontal boundary", boys and girls? I knew you could.

Yesterday was t-shirt weather until it started raining.  This morning I had to scrape the windshield, and it's still only 30 with a high of 41 this afternoon.  Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 55.  Friday's low is forecast at 56.

I'm ready for it to settle into a pattern for one clothing type, at least.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »
65 F down here this morning.   =)
Dropped about 20 degrees across the lunch hour.  Supposed to be in the 30's tomorrow.  Probably won't get quite that cold. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:53 PM »
Low teens here today, but thankfully no Globular Woerming falling out of the sky.

Meanwhile, in New England:

http://weaselzippers.us/214194-yale-moonbats-forced-to-cancel-global-warming-protest-over-cold-weather-and-snow/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
Why do so many climate change decriers and would be debunkers ignore the greater dynamic range predicted by almost every model?  Colder colds, hotter and longer heat spells, longer and more severe droughts and wet spells are all predicted.  The weather is what it is, where it is, when you get there:  deal with it or go somewhere else or some other time.

As to the call to reduce or eliminate greenhouse gases, the advice "Don't foul your nest"  has always made sense to me.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
Why do so many climate change decriers and would be debunkers ignore the greater dynamic range predicted by almost every model?  Colder colds, hotter and longer heat spells, longer and more severe droughts and wet spells are all predicted.  The weather is what it is, where it is, when you get there:  deal with it or go somewhere else or some other time.

As to the call to reduce or eliminate greenhouse gases, the advice "Don't foul your nest"  has always made sense to me.
Not sure where you are coming from, but usually when they talk about a "greater dynamic range", they fail to point out how much or that the dynamic range has been fairly high long before anyone thought of "global warming".  Extremes of weather happen occasionally.  It isn't global warming.  When someone solemly predicts that its going to be hot, cold, or somewhere in the middle, I tend to not listen to them.  There were cold snaps, floods, droughts, etc mentioned in the US History book I had in grade school referring to stuff 100 or 150 years ago. 

As for "greenhouse gases", CO2 in the atmosphere is not especially high and is short of past maximums.  Before humans, CO2 was trending down and was heading toward a point where plant life would have had trouble with too little CO2.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
As for "greenhouse gases", CO2 in the atmosphere is not especially high and is short of past maximums.  Before humans, CO2 was trending down and was heading toward a point where plant life would have had trouble with too little CO2.

Links for this?  Might make for some interesting reading.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »

CO2 levels have fluctuated wildly throughout Earth's history, as has oxygen. Often in nicely inverse ratios. Ice core and geologic data are conclusive in this respect.

Brad
-HankB