Author Topic: Seven decades. History, and a rememberance.  (Read 1327 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Seven decades. History, and a rememberance.
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:42:45 AM »
Not sure what prompted me but I pulled out my copy of "Trinity And Beyond" tonight. It's one of my favorite documentaries. It just dawned on me that the Trinity detonation was seventy years ago this summer, along with the subsequent end of WWII. It's sobering to know that kids born now will consider the first Gulf War is as old to them as WWII is to me.

Gawd I feel old.

(Not as old as 230RN, but old...  :old:  =D )

Brad

Edit to add... I didn't see zxcv's post about the Arizona Memorial until after I'd written the OP. The coincidence is beyond striking. I know we tend toward frivolity here at APS but to have two threads on the same day so intrisically linked to a non-current issue is fascinating. And moving.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:17:20 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Seven decades. History, and a rememberance.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »
Not sure what prompted me but I pulled out my copy of "Trinity And Beyond" tonight. It's one of my favorite documentaries. It just dawned on me that the Trinity detonation was seventy years ago this summer, along with the subsequent end of WWII. It's sobering to know that kids born now will consider the first Gulf War is as old to them as WWII is to me.

Gawd I feel old.

Suck it up, Buttercup.

Old age ain't for sissies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »

Gawd I feel old. (Not as old as 230RN, but old...  :old:  =D )   Brad ...

That is a great documentary.  The films of the nuclear explosions are both beautiful and frightening.
Some of the things we did back then were just insane, like putting soldiers in trenches and exposing them to nearby nuclear detonations.   
Great music score on that film too.     [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
. . . Some of the things we did back then were just insane, like putting soldiers in trenches and exposing them to nearby nuclear detonations . . .
I remember seeing a picture of Gen. Groves and Robert Oppenheimer taken at the Trinity site standing next to remnants of the tower that held the bomb, taken, IIRC, one day after detonation; their only protection from lingering radiation was plastic booties on their shoes.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Edit to add... I didn't see zxcv's post about the Arizona Memorial until after I'd written the OP. The coincidence is beyond striking. I know we tend toward frivolity here at APS but to have two threads on the same day so intrisically linked to a non-current issue is fascinating. And moving.

Do we?  Some.  At other times, not.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
(Not as old as 230RN, but old...  Grumpy Old Man  grin )

A good-natured  :rofl:

I was going to wisecrack on that Pearl Harbor thread that technically, I'm a Pearl Harbor Survivor.

After all, I was around during the attack.

(In Brooklyn, but what's a mere 5000 miles?)

But I didn't think it was appropriate for the subject matter.

I do remember the blackout curtains after we had so many merchant ships sunk right off the New York coast --in fact most of the eastern seaboard and in the Gulf of Mexico.  The German subs would sight in on the ships with the lit-up skyline of New York behind them.

I also remember being scared at the rumble and approach of low, low flying heavy bombers forming up for ferry flights to Europe.  Or maybe coming in from the aircraft manufacturers all over the country.  

I really don't know whether they were coming in or going out, but they sure were flying low and scared the hell out of me.  They went right over our house.

(There were maybe 10 airports besides Idlewild (now JFK) and La Guardia and one was pretty close to where we lived.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:38:24 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
A good-natured  :rofl:

I was going to wisecrack on that Pearl Harbor thread that technically, I'm a Pearl Harbor Survivor.

After all, I was around during the attack.

(In Brooklyn, but what's a mere 5000 miles?)

But I didn't think it was appropriate for the subject matter.

I do remember the blackout curtains after we had so many merchant ships sunk right off the New York coast --in fact most of the eastern seaboard and in the Gulf of Mexico.  The German subs would sight in on the ships with the lit-up skyline of New York behind them.

Terry, 230RN

Were you a Democrat politician, you could claim to have shot down a Zero while singing Kumbaya with Rosa Parks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
"Were you a Democrat politician, you could claim to have shot down a Zero while singing Kumbaya with Rosa Parks."

Well worth a guffaw. :)

I would add, "from a rowboat."

Terry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:32:08 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »
Don't forget with an assault rifle.

As to what is considered old or "ancient" history, as stated it is the perspective of the person and their age.  I being 47 years old was amazed to think that the "Miracle On Ice" was 35 years ago, doesn't seem like it was that long ago, and those college kids are now grown men and some have already passed on.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
And there are probably more then a few of us who might not be here had Operation Downfall been needed to end the war.

[waves arm]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
That's why I come to APS.  It makes me feel so young.    :old:  :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
I think about this too.  I remember working at Walmart, and setting up an endcap display with WWII 60th anniversary coffee table books.

Well, now it's going on 70 years.  That last 10 years went quickly, and lends some perspective to how honestly short a time frame we're really talking about.