Author Topic: All is not totally lost  (Read 859 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
All is not totally lost
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Dropped Thing 1 off yesterday morning for a weekly skiing trip to Mt Baker.  I was barely awake and had put my phone in the pocket of my pj's.  It apparently fell out without my noticing.  Someone later saw and picked it up.  When we tried calling it later that day to see if we could hear the ringer they noticed the call attempt and used that opportunity to get my wife's number so he could call back and tell us he had the had the phone.  Turned out he was at the same place (YMCA) my wife was heading to take Thing 2 to his basketball game.

Got the phone back with a full charge even.  Screen is broken, though that is most likely from being run over.  Still usable.  Since its marketed as indestructible I'll see if it's warrantied.

Phone is encrypted so if he tried to get anything from it he should have been thwarted.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: All is not totally lost
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
Good for him.  With all the HIPAA crap on my phone, they can't even make a call or open it up without knowing the PIN.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
With all the HIPAA crap on my phone, they can't even make a call or open it up without knowing the PIN.

That sounds like the crackberry my kind and benevolent Uncle (Sam) gave me. And even then I cannot open encrypted emails on it. I have to read them from my desktop at work or remote into my desktop with a laptop my Uncle will also provide me. I really don't feel that compelled to look at that stuff unless I am on the clock. ;)

It is nice someone took the time to help you get your phone back, most people wouldn't have bothered IMO.

bob

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
There are lots of good, honest people in the world.  They just don't get the attention the other kind do..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
There are lots of good, honest people in the world.  They just don't get the attention the other kind do..,

Yup.  I have my contact info visible inside the cover of my iPod Classic. When it slipped out onto the ground a couple of years ago, I didn't even notice until my phone rang.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln