Author Topic: Alternative to Roku?  (Read 1351 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Alternative to Roku?
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
Helping a friend set up his home theater system. He has a Roku box (2.x) which only supports 5.1 surround via hdmi. The audio output on the Roku box only supports 2 chan stereo which I personally think this is jicky as heck. Any media streaming device in today's market should, at the very least, port an audio signal that a Dolby/DTS receiver can decode.

At any rate his HT head unit is pre-HDMI, limiting my input methods to digital and toslink. Not a prob for everything else as they all have toslink outputs. My question... not being a Roku afficianado (and actually not very enamored of it in general based on the performance of his box) is there a Roku alternative that has better home theater support? I told him about xbox/Playstation alternatives but he didn't seem too hip on it. Other than that, what's out there for video streaming?

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Alternative to Roku?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-streaming-media-player/dp/B00CX5P8FC

Another option, if he's not interested in gaming devices.

Many (probably most) blu-ray players also have streaming. (With a WIDE variation of quality.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
That little gem may be just the ticket. HDMI audio extractor with full digital/optical output capability. Didn't know they made such a thing. Makes sense, though, what with all the older non-HDMI HT systems in use.

They also have a multi-input version that would function nicely as a low-cost, full feature A/V switch which provides single-source audio for a dedicated amp.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:09:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »

Many (probably most) blu-ray players also have streaming. (With a WIDE variation of quality.)

We've.discussed that option. You're right.. HUGE range of quality and performance. Major downside, even on the better units, is clunky and painfully slow/laggy interfaces. I have a Samsung bluray player that's supposed to have one of the better Netflix/Youtube apps. I think it stinks on ice.

Brad
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
We've.discussed that option. You're right.. HUGE range of quality and performance. Major downside, even on the better units, is clunky and painfully slow/laggy interfaces. I have a Samsung bluray player that's supposed to have one of the better Netflix/Youtube apps. I think it stinks on ice.

Brad

Same. Ye gods was it awful for Netflix. Don't recall it having an Amazon Prime app. And the YouTube app sucked.

Quite happy with my Roku box. Concur that the audio extractor is what you want.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »

Brad

Which was one of the reasons I finally gave up and built a dedicated home theater PC. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »
Which was one of the reasons I finally gave up and built a dedicated home theater PC. 

Roomie does this.  He use to have a customized version of MythTV.  Now he just runs XBMC of an Arch linux box - it works very well but it took some time to setup.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
My Fire died after 4 months. 90-day warranty.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »
Roomie does this.  He use to have a customized version of MythTV.  Now he just runs XBMC of an Arch linux box - it works very well but it took some time to setup.

I went with Windows...   =D

Honestly, I was gonna do a Pi and XBMC, but I ended up just building an entire PC. The newest gen i5's are insanely fast, especially when paired with even a middle of the road SSD. I do wish there was an easy way to integrate Amazon Prime and Netflix into XBMC, then it'd be absolutely perfect.

Found one very awesome app for doing the metadata on my movies. Still checking out apps for TV show metadata.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
I went with Windows...   =D

Honestly, I was gonna do a Pi and XBMC, but I ended up just building an entire PC. The newest gen i5's are insanely fast, especially when paired with even a middle of the road SSD. I do wish there was an easy way to integrate Amazon Prime and Netflix into XBMC, then it'd be absolutely perfect.

Found one very awesome app for doing the metadata on my movies. Still checking out apps for TV show metadata.

Me too.  I went with a fairly speedy i3 on a micropc that's about the size of a hardback book.  Running Kodi/XBMC for now.  For Netflix / Hulu I have shortcuts on the desktop for people to click.

I'm interested in what they'll do with Media Center on Windows 10.  I've heard it will finally support MKV files natively.  If it works well and has decent integration for netflix/hulu etc... then I won't mind paying for media center.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln