Author Topic: Why are vehicles so expensive?  (Read 5406 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Re: Why are vehicles so expensive?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »
Not looking for some smart ass answer.

I'm on the hunt for a set of wheels, ...

Hey Charby - my old man runs a vehicle wholesale business in Amarillo, Tx.  If you are willing to fly in and drive back, I think I can help  you.  The old man is currently driving a 1999 extended cab Ford 4 X 4.  If its nice enough to be his daily driver and pull his one-car trailer, it must be pretty nice.  He has other stuff too - call him at 806-654-5251, if you want, and tell him "Rick sent me!"
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 01:17:43 PM »
charby, if it's that much colder in Iowa, I'll be joining you soon.  Way too muggy down here, and not enough of the cold stuff.

Now that I'm married, it's OK to move to Iowa.  I hear up in North Missouri they have a good little joke:

What do they call a pretty girl in Iowa?
A tourist. 

Wah, wah, wah. laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »
A friend of mine gets deals on cars all the time.  He calls or visits the local banks to get lists of repos.   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
charby, if it's that much colder in Iowa, I'll be joining you soon.  Way too muggy down here, and not enough of the cold stuff.

Now that I'm married, it's OK to move to Iowa.  I hear up in North Missouri they have a good little joke:

What do they call a pretty girl in Iowa?
A tourist. 

Wah, wah, wah. laugh

I don't think we could handle you in Iowa

By the way the summers are just as hot and muggy as Mo. If you want a lot of snow, you'll need to move to NE IA. Its hit and miss here in central iowa. Some winters we have snow from end of november to march and so times is snows, then melts, then snows. varies from 1" to 14"+ 

I personally like a snowfall under 8" because more than that it sucks driving to work and unburying the driveway when I get home.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 04:44:31 AM »
charby - email me at young5@sill.army.mil.  If you are willing to take a 1999 diesel Ford Lariat Supercab 3/4 ton 4X4, I can hook you pu, including a 4 year, unlimited mile warranty.  It's a darn nice truck - good looking, too.  I can make you a good price on it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 05:19:40 AM »
email sent

Uranus is a gas giant.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 09:34:27 AM »
Haven't recieved it yet.  You can call Jim at (806) 654 5251 (cell phone) if you don;t want to wait.  That's my dad - he's probably driving it right now!  Its a super nice rig - white in color, fiberglass bed cover just painted to match.  Gest 14.5 mpg around town, 13.8 on the highway pulling a loaded 1 car trailer.  Interior is leather, & the driver's seat has just been recovered.  New tires.  Runs like a scalded ape.  Powerstroke diesel engine.  Miles on it are alittlehigh, (164k), but they were highway - the truck runs and checks out good, and we will put a 1 or 4 year warranty on the ruck at your option - that should take away any 2worries about the miles!   grin

Only flaw on it is the overhead computer module (heading, outside temp, instantaneous milage, etc...) doesn't work, but we will be glad to have that fixed for you if you want the truck - only reason it hasn't been yet is dad is too busy driving around in it to sideline for the repair, plus they would have to order the module, as they are temporarily out of stock in Amarillo.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 10:04:28 AM »
email bounced back.  send me one charby@iastate.edu

Uranus is a gas giant.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 11:35:10 AM »
email sent   grin

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 07:26:40 PM »
Now just what kind of Tacoma were you looking at huh?  I got mine *NEW* for $18,500 last year.  I think you must have looked at a 4 door v6.  I got the cheapest 4x4 that they had, which is kinda what you are looking for right?  2door, 2.7 4cyl, 4x4 manual, bench seat, did come with AC and a CD player though.  It's as much a beast offroad as any $34k Tacoma.  Of course I am pretty darn good at dealing with car salesman, I spent a fair amount of time haggling and pretending to walk out. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »
I was looking at the 4 door, 4x4, V-6, TRD one.  I need at least an extended cab, i'd prefer the 4 door.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Why are vehicles so expensive?
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
Because broom pushers are making $25 and hour.
Because drunken losers and drug addicts can't be fired.
Because instead of shipping out parts they are sleeping on the forklifts.
Because it takes two men to do a one man job.
ETC, ETC, ETC.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 04:32:06 AM »
One reason that used vehicles are so expensive is that people are getting 72 month and longer loans, and falling for the old "we'll pay off oyur trade" racket - if you owe more on your trade-in than its worth, they don;t really pay it off for you - YOU pay it of, with interest, as they just add that balance to the new loan (IF your credit is good enough, natch...).  So people are "upside down"  (owe more on their vehicle than its worth) for longer.  This drives prices up, as the people then privately attempt to sell the vehicle, but want to get enought to pay it off.  This situation causes three things:

1. More and more "take over paymests" type deals advertised - almost always a case of "upside down".

2. Ascarcity of nice, clean used vehicles on the market, which drives up the price,...and...

3. Insurance fraud.  People arranging tohave hteir vehicle "stolen" and burned or dumped in a lake.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:59 AM »
Charby, my e-mail is acting screwy - I get it through the Army Knowledge Online portal, and they have been having trouble.  I will get digital pictures of hte truck today.  If you send me  a private message with a good e-mail address for you, I will forward them to you...

Rich

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 04:46:49 AM »
ok, sounds good

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.