Author Topic: The Holdout  (Read 1885 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Holdout
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/holdout/

People such as David Hess, who refuse to sell their properties, are called holdouts. Eminent domain generally only comes into play when the government wants private property for public use (though there have been some exceptions).  If it’s a private development that wants your place and you refuse to sell, there’s often not much they can do...

Around 2005, a Seattle neighborhood called Ballard started to see unprecedented growth. Condominiums and apartment buildings were sprouting up all over the community which had once been mostly single family homes and small businesses. Around this time, developers offered a woman named Edith Macefield $750,000 dollars for her small house, which was appraised at around $120,000. They wanted to build a shopping mall on the block where Macefield had lived for the last 50 years.

Macefield turned down the money. Developers went forward with the shopping mall anyway. The mall enveloped her house on three sides...

The press loved Edith Macefield’s “David and Goliath” story of an old woman versus the big, bad developers. But even though the press was clamoring to talk to Macefield, she wanted nothing to do with talking to them (as evidenced in this CBS segment).

Slowly, Macefield warmed to some of the construction workers on the project, especially Barry Martin, the project superintendent who would check in on her occasionally and drop off business cards, telling her to call if she needed anything.

She eventually asked Martin to take her to a hair appointment...

Do read the rest, it is a sweet little story.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The Holdout
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »
She sounds like one of those people who just have a certain charm magic about them.  They can charm your socks off even if your feet are cold.  

I wonder if there's any way to verify her spy story.  There were lots of people who acted as spies and allied agents during the war.  Some would surprise you, like the movie actor Sterling Hayden, who was an OSS operative behind the lines in WWII.

Yes, a "sweet" story, especially in terms of Martin's devotion to her, and it illustrates how some things can be more important than a million dollars.

Good thing it all happened before the Kelo v. City of New London Supreme Court decision.   >:D

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
A recent update:

http://www.myballard.com/2015/03/13/locals-bring-balloons-to-support-edith-macefield-house-before-auction/

http://www.seattlepi.com/realestate/article/Edith-Macefield-house-set-for-foreclosure-auction-6059520.php

Unfortunately, there's a story that reflects rather poorly on Mill Creek (the town, not you) in the "We Recommend" of those articles.

Back to topic: If the last owner took out a loan for their "pie in the sky" or, more literally house in the sky dream, what exactly was the plan to recoup the cost?

Especially considering he clearly did nothing along the way towards that plan as the house is still just sitting there.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
Good thing it all happened before the Kelo v. City of New London Supreme Court decision.   >:D

True.

Kelo is one of the greatest judicial travesties in the history or the United States. And ... for what? The neighborhood was razed to the ground, the hoped for new construction never happened, and the Pfizer Corporation (the moving force behind the whole boondoggle) packed up and moved out of Connecticut entirely. What had been a viable, livable neighborhood is today a wasteland of empty streets and bulldozed lots.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NLzBGJavc

That made me cry a lot more than it probably should have, for reasons some of you will understand.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
True.

Kelo is one of the greatest judicial travesties in the history or the United States. And ... for what? The neighborhood was razed to the ground, the hoped for new construction never happened, and the Pfizer Corporation (the moving force behind the whole boondoggle) packed up and moved out of Connecticut entirely. What had been a viable, livable neighborhood is today a wasteland of empty streets and bulldozed lots.

Why I am reminded of Captain Mal?

"I got pinched!"
"Which is what happens when you call the feds."

New London was stupid, doubled down on their stupid by going to SCOTUS, and got pinched. I'm just sad that movement to eminent domain at least one Justice's house failed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »
QUICK SUMMARY OF THE KELO CASE'S ESSENTIALS

Pfizer, the chemical/pharmaceutical company, wanted to build a large facility in a more or less "rundown" area of New London, Connecticut.

The city of New London, seeing the possibiity that the large new facility would broaden its tax base and benefit employment in the area, wanted to condemn all the property under its "eminent domain" powers.  The concept of "eminent domain" allows the taking of private property for government use, with compensation to the owner(s).  (See REF.)

New London's idea of "government use" (or "public use") included the idea that the ultimate good for the community in this case was to condemn the properties and then turn it over to Pfizer for their new facility.

Suzette Kelo (spellings vary as "Susette"), a resident, along with the other landowners, did not want to surrender their properties and brought suit under the Fifth Amendement's "Takings Clause*" of the U.S. Constitution and it ultimately went to the Supreme Court of The United States (SCOTUS) based on the "public use" concept, since the property was to be turned over to a private entity, Pfizer.

The majority opinion (5 to 4), that New London could do this, was based on some prior cases which seemed to allow this expansion of the definition of "public use."

The dissenting opinions basically disagreed with the prior cases.  (Justice Thomas offered an "originalist" opinion based on what he felt was the Founders' original intent, rather than on those prior cases.)

The properties were therefore "taken" by the City of New London and the houses were eiither razed or moved.

Pfizer, because of other business decisions, decided not to build its new facility after all, and in fact moved its entire operation out of Connecticut.

The properties are now a vacant area.  Ms. Kelo's home was moved to another location.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the SCOTUS decision.

As a side note, and what RevDisk is referring to, is that the vacation property of Justice Brewer Souter was also "taken" in a separate matter elsewhere.

There are a lot of hits when you search for "Kelo v city of New London" and it was a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Feel free to correct me on the above, but I think that covers it in essential details for those not familiar with this famous case.

I do not think this is a thread veer, since we have been talking about "holdouts" in the first place.

In this case, the "holdouts" lost.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry, 230RN

(Edited 09 Apr for minor corrections)

* REF (The Takings Clause):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#Takings_clause

The entire wiki article on this case provides some insights into the thoughts of the individual Justices, as well as later modifications of some states' laws on "eminent domain." A long read, but well worth it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:19:37 AM by 230RN »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
230RN, thank you for the summary.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »

Except for corrections of any inaccuracies, anyone may copy that directly and distribute it without credit.

I tried to avoid injecting any political controversies or viewpoints in it, but it's a case which, to me, emphasizes the constant over-reaching of authority in governments large and small.

As I say in my current signature line...

Trouble is, these jerkwads can pass dumb, self-serving, agenda-driven stupid laws much faster than we can beat them down in the courts.  And they're well aware of that.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:57:45 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »

As a side note, and what RevDisk is referring to, is that the vacation property of Justice Brewer was also "taken" in a separate matter elsewhere.

wasn't it Justice David Souter?
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:08:21 PM »
Whoops ! You are correct: Souter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Liberty_Hotel

Changed original.

In addition, Suzette Kelo's name appears also as Susette, and her house was not razed, but was moved to a new location, 36 Franklin Street, New London CT. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:30:11 AM by 230RN »

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
Kelo was the case that confirmed to me that most Americans are idiots

The same day Kelo was announced, the USSC also announced their decision about the 10 Commandments being displayed in a courthouse. Guess which decision got the most press?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)