Author Topic: The next terror threat?  (Read 3242 times)

Preacherman

The next terror threat?
« on: October 28, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Interesting article by the novelist Frederick Forsyth in the UK Sunday Times. I've long thought that this was the single greatest threat to the US from a 'rogue nation', and he's put it very concisely.

From the Sunday Times October 29, 2006 (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2426361,00.html):

The terror next time: it's not a plane, it's a boat

Frederick Forsyth

When I began to look at terrorism around the world for a new project, it was not long before I found that the prospect of in-air sabotage of transatlantic airliners was but one of the nightmares with which the Wests anti-terrorist agencies wrestle on a daily basis. The unrevealed and undiscussed horror is the burgeoning world of marine terrorism.

Megadeath coming at us from the sea is envisaged as a seemingly normal and legitimate merchant ship, maybe a tanker but not necessarily, stolen by Al-Qaeda and staffed with a suicidal crew, bearing inside her hull a simply devastating cargo, quietly cruising into the very heart of a city before detonating.

Such an outrage, the subject of daily study by experts on marine terrorism and their colleagues in the hazardous cargoes division, could easily match the death toll of 9/11. For the last wild, unpoliced and lawless frontier on this planet is not what or where you might think.

The place where there is no viable, enforceable law is the sea. For one thing, it is simply vast. Were you to put put every square inch of the worlds landmass together, it would only cover one seventh of the planets surface. The other six-sevenths are the oceans. And on those oceans a vessel can simply lose herself. Or be caused by others to vanish.

Do ships disappear at sea, never to be seen again? Yes, all the time, and they are not all sunk. Far from it. Those who think piracy ended with Captain Kidd should take a swig of strong coffee. Piracy today is a bigger industry than any Blackbeard could ever have envisaged.

Despite mans pride in his laws, controls, paperwork and technology, he cannot begin to rule life on the sea. Even to attempt a first minimal control would need a collective effort costing many billions of dollars to operate, and so far the willpower needed to make that effort is not readily visible. If it ever comes it will, amazingly, be provoked by the rise not of piracy but of terrorism.

Let us first consider the formalities. Every ship in the world is supposed to have a name and be registered with some authority somewhere in the world, a procedure that generates the ships papers. And ships belonging to reputable owners, based in reputable countries, chartered to reputable customers and carrying reputable cargoes secured by reputable agents indeed do just that. But that is only half the story.

There are about 44,000 merchant ships out there somewhere, and let us not even attempt to count the leisure craft. Most of the merchant seamen no doubt fit into the reputable category described above. But several thousand do not.

Greed and rapacity have led to the creation of a weird and shady underworld where licence fees are optional, taxes avoided, safety margins ignored and controls a fiction. In that world the crook is a normality and the terrorist a dangerous newcomer.

At the heart of the underworld is the flag of convenience. Long ago two countries, Liberia in west Africa and the swampy Central American republic of Panama, discovered that reputable countries were charging shipowners a tidy sum to register their vessels. These two countries pioneered the cheap flag of convenience.

A nominal payment, no supervision of the ships state, the safety of the crew or legitimacy of the cargo. Within a few years each country had on paper  and on water  a huge merchant fleet that would never dream of visiting its port of registration. Into this fog of uncheckability went formalities such as the actual ownership of the flag-of-convenience (FOC) vessel.

Then came the companies registered in countries that practised total banking secrecy, consisting of no more than a brass plate on the wall. There are now close to 30 FOC countries and the same number of no-questions banks (NQBs) located in so-called offshore hideaways. Some FOC countries do not even have a coastline; some NQB hideyholes are little more than coral atolls.

Thus the MV Attila may be registered in the island of ABC in Micronesia but apparently owned by XYZ Shipping Lines, which is really only a brass plate in an NQB banking resort. It could make your head spin. But inquiries are useless. The brass plate belongs to a dubious law firm that knows nothing and XYZ Shipping banks with an outfit called RST Banking Services on another coral atoll.

RST Banking may know a bit but will say nothing and no one can force it. Behind it all, who owns that freighter? Who knows? Who cares? Its cargoes are handled by an agency, its staff and crew salaries arrive via cyberspace and it steams across the world from port to port picking up and delivering merchandise.

In cases of thoroughly disreputable vessels, the captain may have no valid masters ticket, or a forged one; and the crew may be impoverished wretches drawn from the slums of the Far East who are little more than marine slaves. But they trade that in for a snug home, food and enough salary in cash to afford the occasional prostitute while on shore leave. Not a nice life? Have a good look at some of the slums of the Third World.

But supposing the MV Attila is secretly owned by Al-Qaeda. Could it be? That is the disturbing new dimension.

Every year, almost every month, in various parts of the world but mainly along the Malacca and Sunda straits and round the Celebes Sea, legitimate freighters disappear. There is no secret about what happens. Helpless and slow, they are boarded by sea dacoits (bandits) from faster vessels, taken over and hijacked.

Why that part of the world? Partly because dacoits of land or sea are a traditional form of local crime; partly because there are a score of coasts so dense in jungle and so unpoliced that an entire ship can disappear into a creek and become invisible from any search by sea or air.

Later, reflagged, repapered, repainted, reregistered and recaptained and crewed, she can resume her trading life, but now working and making profits for the Mr Big who commissioned her hijacking in the first place and secured her for nothing. And a complaint from the previous and legitimate owner? Prove it. If worst comes to worst, the miscreants can vaporise in an hour, untraceable behind the paperwork.

It is not the criminality that keeps the lights burning late in the offices of the Wests counterterrorism agencies. It is the nightmare of the invisible ship, the suicide crew, the deadly cargo and the unsuspecting destination.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: The next terror threat?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »
I remember a few years back, there were some supposedly Al Queda owned ships which no one knew the whereabouts of.
It was discussed a bit in the media, then the story disappeared just as the ships had.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Chuck Dye

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »
Say what?

A few years ago Kim Jong-Il  said words to the effect of "mess with us and reap a world of fire."  The hysterics and histrionics of talk radio all jumped to the conclusion that he was threatening a nuclear response.  I immediately envisioned a few North Korean agents, already resident in the U. S., stopping at one of the Nevada tribal fireworks stores for a few cases of roman candles to go with their cases of kitchen matches and heading into the forests and chaparrals of the western states and committing arson.  One busy agent could wreak havoc, a dozen could initiate a holocaust that would make 11 Sept 2001 pale by comparison.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »
You mean you think that's what's happening now?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chuck Dye

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
fod,

To whom is your question addressed?  My answer is emphatically NO.

Huck

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »
I was talkin' you, Huck.  Now are you gonna draw those guns, or just whistle Dixie?

I thought you were referring to the current forest fire set by arsonists.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061028/D8L1MRMO0.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chuck Dye

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 06:18:02 AM »
A band of terrorists such as I described, bent on wildland arson and operating during peak fire season, could so easily ignite so many fires so quickly that even a full military response would be hard pressed fighting them.  The costs would be huge in lives, property, and expenses immediately and for a long time to follow as watersheds laid bare by the fires give rise to flooding and mudslides.  Our current fire season scarcely holds a candle to what might be done as an act of terrorism.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
John Allen Muhammad showed 'em the way.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 07:55:10 PM »
A tanker carrying LNG into a port is all it would take...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
I hope none of em are reading this thread.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 03:24:44 AM »
I'm not saying anything that hasn't been published elsewhere.  rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 03:33:17 AM »
nope Preacherman.  The next terrorist threat is Nancy Pelosi holding the Speaker's gavel.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 04:22:06 AM »
I'm not saying anything that hasn't been published elsewhere.  rolleyes

Not only that, but we're talking about insane but otherwise intelligent people who can think up this *expletive deleted*it on thier own.  We have to consider and openly discuss all possibilities to not only be prepared but to begin dialouge with our legislators so that they understand our concerns.  The only idiots in this equasion are on Capitol hill.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 07:48:22 AM »
I've wondered why terrorist interests haven't hit the U.S. again.

One would think that compared to 9/11, a couple of suicide bombers in American shopping malls on "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving would be trivially easy. If they chose random low-profile locations, such as here in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Utah etc. the impact would be easily 50-75% that of 9/11, but be only about 10% of the effort on their part.

So why hasn't it happened?

There's about a million other kinds of attacks that the press and pundits have come up with that are also not overly difficult for someone who's willing to die to carry out as well. So why haven't any of them happened either?

I see a few possibilities;

1. Uncle Sam is doing a good job of fighting terrorism. The disrupted plots we know about are only the tip of the iceberg. The work we've done since 9/11 actually has dismantled their capabilities that much.

2. They don't think like we do. For whatever reason terrorists now must surpass 9/11 in their own minds to be satisfied. The way they view America, they feel that smaller bombings and attacks like those in Israel and Iraq aren't worth it for whatever reason.

3. They'd rather fight us in Iraq, than over here, and one side of the political asile is obviously equally happy with that too.

4 They miscalculated America's response to 9/11, and the Bush administration in particular. The terrorists feel that more attacks in the U.S. would play into the hands of the American politicians willing to fight them. (Opposite of the "Madrid Factor") So they're waiting for '08.

5. They are planning on doing more "conventional terror" attacks, but there's some "X-factor" that's kept it from happening yet that I can't fathom.
I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:34 AM »
nope Preacherman.  The next terrorist threat is Nancy Pelosi holding the Speaker's gavel.
Yup.  At the rate we're going, Al Queda won't need to bother.  We'll tank our country for them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »
A tanker carrying LNG into a port is all it would take...

I was thinking that or a tanker about a 1/8 full with gasoline, nice big vapors built up and wouldn't take much exposives to set it off. Be like a giant fuel air bomb. Dock it in the right location and probably topple a few sky scrapers, of course this is speculation because I am no expert in this arena.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
Not only that, but we're talking about insane but otherwise intelligent people who can think up this *expletive deleted*it on thier own. 
Why do they have to be insane?

The Iranian President, Admini-whosis, seems in control of himself in the video I have seen of him.  Perhaps he and others like him who threaten the use of nukes are perfectly sane and see nukes/WMD as a means to their end.

Just becasue we are not motivated in the same way here in the West does not mean that differently-motivated folks are nuts.  It could be that they are just plain evil ar more than willing to kill any number of folks to satisfy their desires.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton