Author Topic: HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier  (Read 5840 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »
I am watching 'Impossible Engineering' on the Science Channel right now.  The episode is about the building of the HMS Queen Elizabeth.  They just spent some time going over the propulsion system: using diesel generators to drive electric motors, with gas turbines that are used for high-speed cruising.

I wonder why the Royal Navy did not use nuke propulsion for the carrier.  They have had nuclear submarines for several decades, so clearly they have the industrial and knowledge base for Naval nuclear propulsion.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »
Supposedly high cost

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »
*heh* watched the same show - came into it about 10 minutes in and was wondering the same thing - why no nuke?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:36:38 AM »
How's the nuke=eek! mentality in GB?  Is it worse than in the US?  Might that explain it? 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:07:14 AM »
If it has a reactor it canot make liberty calls at many traditional ports.

The Brits first took away flogging, and then rum.  Can you imagine what the response would be if they dropped somewhee like a third of their liberty ports?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
Not sure if joke or not but truly you do get jerked around when riding a CVN. I went pierside everywhere in an oil burner. And the euro-zone is pretty allergic to nukes, see Rosetta probe. Coulda been broadcasting from a comet with an RTG but no, had to have solar. Well played morons. The nuke subs pretty much have to be nuke to do their job, were built in the time of thatcher and pretty much just come and go from Scotland. Not very publicly visible.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
Not sure if joke or not but truly you do get jerked around when riding a CVN. I went pierside everywhere in an oil burner. And the euro-zone is pretty allergic to nukes, see Rosetta probe. Coulda been broadcasting from a comet with an RTG but no, had to have solar. Well played morons. The nuke subs pretty much have to be nuke to do their job, were built in the time of thatcher and pretty much just come and go from Scotland. Not very publicly visible.

I never exactly understood that. But I have heard more than a couple countries are so nuke free, they don't even allow visits from nuclear powered vessels. Somehow fossel fuel is perfectly accepted.

What's the story there?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
I never exactly understood that. But I have heard more than a couple countries are so nuke free, they don't even allow visits from nuclear powered vessels. Somehow fossel fuel is perfectly accepted.

What's the story there?

You might just sneak your reactor-driven ship into the harbor and blow up the whole country.

Any country that has a nuclear-powered navy is just a war-mongering devil.

We are jealous.

It's amazing how an American nuke-powered CV can stand off-shore and run cables/pipes and supply an entire island decimated by a typhoon with electricity and potable water without the shipboard lights going dim, but just try to bring American dollars and sailors itching to be fleeced to port in one of those tubs.

I can't remember if Japan has lifted its ban on nuke-powered anything.  Of Course they are the only country (so far) that might have a reason to dislike the notion.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »
Japan had to if they wanted a safety net. We retired the CV based there (Kitty Hawk, usually known by other names), replaced it with the Washington.
AKA Navy Joe   

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
On this note:  What is with the "ski jump" runway on Brit (and other European) aircraft carriers?  Not at all a navy guy, but the Queen Elizabeth style carriers look like they can only launch one at a time.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
On this note:  What is with the "ski jump" runway on Brit (and other European) aircraft carriers?  Not at all a navy guy, but the Queen Elizabeth style carriers look like they can only launch one at a time.

If you don't have catapults to launch your aircraft, the ski jump is the next best option. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

No catapult.  Built for V/STOL aircraft to get a bit more loft.  A severely limiting approach relative to catapults, but the best some countries can manage.  Recovery of such limited aircraft can either be vertical landing or cable arrest.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
Quote from: vaskidmark
. . . The Brits first took away flogging, and then rum . . .

Though there's some debate about whether he originated the expression, Sir Winston Churchill, when questioned about British Navy traditions, allegedly said "Traditions in the Royal Navy? The only traditions in the Royal Navy are rum, buggery, and the lash!"

So I suppose with rum and the lash gone, there's only one tradition left . . .

:O    =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »
I thought the ski jump was to launch vertical take off aircraft using less fuel than a direct take off.  I don't think the ski jump allows use of regular jets.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
I thought the ski jump was to launch vertical take off aircraft using less fuel than a direct take off.  I don't think the ski jump allows use of regular jets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOBAR

There are some conventional-takeoff Russian jets, and variants and copies thereto, that can use the ski jump. The needed high thrust-to-weight ratio is a limiting factor.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
I thought the Brits have retired/were retiring all their (Sea) Harriers?  If so, what are they replacing them with on the HMS QE ?  Helicopters don't need a ski jump to take off.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »
I thought the Brits have retired/were retiring all their (Sea) Harriers?  If so, what are they replacing them with on the HMS QE ?  Helicopters don't need a ski jump to take off.

F-35B.  The USMC VTOL version.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
F-35B.  The USMC VTOL version.
Poor, foolish bastards.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »
Poor, foolish bastards.

+1 soon to be +1111111 as the things get delayed and ever more useless.
AKA Navy Joe   

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 01:11:41 AM »
+1 soon to be +1111111 as the things get delayed and ever more useless.

McNamara's moldy corpse must be laughing its ass off.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
How many times must we develop a "joint" or "multi-service" platform as a cost-savings measure to only realize that the additional requirements tossed on by each new participant bloat the costs more than discrete platforms and development programs? 

The F-35 will end up being a bloated hog with wings that costs more than the F-22, mark my words.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
I believe it already does cost more than the f22. And the damned thing isn't even finished yet.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
How many times must we develop a "joint" or "multi-service" platform as a cost-savings measure to only realize that the additional requirements tossed on by each new participant bloat the costs more than discrete platforms and development programs? 

The F-35 will end up being a bloated hog with wings that costs more than the F-22, mark my words.

You forgot the part where "It will do everything it is supposed to do, half-assed."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.