Author Topic: Paratrooper punished for jumping with pet fish  (Read 6033 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Paratrooper punished for jumping with pet fish
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/29/paratrooper-fish-jump-punishment/26561405/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

It was a Siamese fighting fish in a waterbottle.  And it was his last jump before separation.  He had to write an essay explaining how it was unsafe and unprofessional and got some extra duty.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Paratrooper punished for jumping with pet fish
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
Doesn't that seem kind of chickensh&*&*t ? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »

Meh... I think the fact he got NJP, wrote an essay and got some extra duty but no bust in rank says they think it was funny/cute too, but had to go through some motions to maintain discipline and order etc.

I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Yeah, he pulled a prank, got caught by Officers, and they gave him the equivilant of a prank punishment.  No real story here

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »
Yeah, he pulled a prank, got caught by Officers, and they gave him the equivilant of a prank punishment.  No real story here

This

The outrage about it on Facebook is kinda strange to me
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
12 days extra duty for a prank that was essentially meaningless?  Is that normal?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
Surprised that they even allowed him to jump since he is so close to getting out.  Imagine if he had been hurt and had to have his enlistment extended to tend to his wounds.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »

The punishment was minor grade chickenshit.  Nothing too bad.

But, that is essentially what our armed forced have become: chickenshit leadership slathered with the worst of right and left wing smelly orthodoxies.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
This

The outrage about it on Facebook is kinda strange to me

Facebook has become not much more than an outrage factory for the ill-informed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
So his Beta test didn't go well and he's stuck doing all the documentation?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
So his Beta test didn't go well and he's stuck doing all the documentation?

;/
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
12 days extra duty for a prank that was essentially meaningless?  Is that normal?

As a former Company Commander, I think they stuck the right balance here.  The SPC in question did not lose any rank, not did they "Max him out".  A thousand word essay on "Why not to be a dumbass" is about right.  The 12 days (?, 14 is the max for a company grade Art 15, so they cut him a break there, might have to do with not pushing back his ETS date, whatever.) is a warning to anyone else that wants to try something like that.  It means "If you do this, you will get more then just a essay to write, Capache' ? ".

And they reason they have to do something is that future dumbasses might think about trying this *expletive deleted*it.  Jumping out of a plane and having a cell phone, waterbottle, or somesuch slip out of PVT Dumbasses hands and go hurdling down at terminal velocity to either tear or possibly collapse the canopy of the jumper beneath you is a serious concern.   Also there's the possibility of getting hit with said *expletive deleted*it. That's why jumpmasters go over each jumper before boarding the aircraft to make sure nothing is loose, and why you "Check Equipment" right after "Stand Up", to make sure nothing came loose. 

Finally, someone asked about why he was even jumping when so close to getting out.  Any and all of the following reasons:  1) Airborne units have to have a certain percentage of assigned folks current and qualified to jump.  2) To maintain his jump pay until ETS.  3) He did a "Hollywood" jump (No combat gear, just uniform and helmet), Everyone else in the unit jumped with ruck, weapon, and whatever else they are assigned to jump with.  It reduces his chance of injury (not jumping with 50+ lbs of gear strapped to him), yet still counts as a jump.  4) He's not out yet.  You never know when the defecation will hit the rotating oscillator, in which case SPC Short-timer could become SPC Deployed/Stop-loss'd.  I saw it happen during Desert Storm.  Me, for one in particular.  There were busloads of folks that had completely cleared and made it all the way to Rhein-Main to board the Freedom Bird back to the land of the Round Door Knobs, only to be told to turn around and go back to their units.   They were not happy campers.  Especially the ones that went back to units that were deploying to the sandbox.

Now what SPC Dumbass should have done was wait until about a month after he had ETS'd and then post the pics.  Not much the Army could do then.  But like Terry, I'm not signing this so no other troopies get any smart ideas.   :old: :old:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
He probably read that book on his inner fish  =)
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
What if finds out he's full of carp?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

Now what SPC Dumbass should have done was wait until about a month after he had ETS'd and then post the pics.  Not much the Army could do then.  But like Terry, I'm not signing this so no other troopies get any smart ideas.   :old: :old:

I was thinking the same thing and I can understand the explanation for having him jump.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
One more item to add to Private Skippy's list of things we must not do in the Army:

xxx. Not allowed to jump out of airplanes accompanied by pet fish.

For those who aren't yet acquainted with Private Skippy's list: http://skippyslist.com/list/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
What would be the punishment for having one of these fish crackers?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:27:21 PM by scout26 »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
One more item to add to Private Skippy's list of things we must not do in the Army:

xxx. Not allowed to jump out of airplanes accompanied by pet fish.

For those who aren't yet acquainted with Private Skippy's list: http://skippyslist.com/list/

33. Not allowed to chew gum at formation, unless I brought enough for everybody.
34. (Next day) Not allowed to chew gum at formation even if I *did* bring enough for everybody.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Ditto what has been said by scout, Fitz, and others already.  It is stupidly easy to take rank and pay away from E-4 and below.  Also, a company grade Article 15 is the lowest level this could officially be handled at.  This send a message, "Don't bring unsecured stuff on a jump", without really affecting the Soldier's life or spending a bunch of time punishing him more officially. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »
Going back an re-reading the story, his FIRSTpunishment was the 1000 wor essay.  Which pretty much non-punishment.   He apparently used the essay to not take it seriously/show remorse/apologize for being a dumbass.  Then came the Art15 again, with a slap on the wrist of 12 days of extra duty (which means being the 1SG's cleaning bitch for about 4 hours each day.)  No restriction, no loss of rank, nor of pay.   And I bet is removed from his 201 file 6, 8, 12, months later if he doesn't get in any more trouble (in the military).

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Meh... I think the fact he got NJP, wrote an essay and got some extra duty but no bust in rank says they think it was funny/cute too, but had to go through some motions to maintain discipline and order etc.

Ayep. An Article 15 means jack diddly to him because he's getting ETS'd. No loss of pay and no loss of rank? Dude has to do a bit of extra duty, but who cares?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
Ditto what has been said by scout, Fitz, and others already.  It is stupidly easy to take rank and pay away from E-4 and below.  Also, a company grade Article 15 is the lowest level this could officially be handled at.  This send a message, "Don't bring unsecured stuff on a jump", without really affecting the Soldier's life or spending a bunch of time punishing him more officially. 

So if the fish and camera had been properly secured...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »

So 50 years from now there will be a TRADOC pub on properly securing POF(Privately owned Fish) during airborne assault operations.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Which clearly shows you know nothing of Airborne operations.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Which clearly shows you know nothing of Airborne operations.

It is entirely possible to properly secure both a fish and camera during a jump. I think there's official kit for the combat photographers, actually. Hell, there's kit for securing a dog during airborne operations. If someone makes a dog harness, it's entirely possible to make a MOLLE Tactical Fish Carrier (MTFC).

Personally, I'd lanyard the camera (obviously) and put the fish in the water bottle inside a MOLLE carrier with a side window, to allow for aquatic tactical awareness.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.