Author Topic: For all you pit bull lovers  (Read 11939 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: For all you pit bull lovers
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »
It just dawned on me that nobody is discusing the dogs that shoot people.  Mostly their owners/hunting buddies, but there are a few other categories.  http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/mans-worst-enemy-6-negligent-gun-owners-who-were-shot-their-own-dogs

Would we be better off making dogs go through a firearms safety class?  Do we need to put trigger locks on when we are not holding our firearm and there is a dog around?
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:41 PM »
I don't know that packing up can lead to issues also.  A dog in a pack might do things they wouldn't do alone.  I don't see many dog deaths from one dog.  It is usually more than two I think.

The pack thing can ratchet things up a bunch. It's why I try to make sure the bipeds are seen as supremo alphas. I have succeeded with my kids I believe. Wife is outa luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
Pack thing can lead to a lot of issues. Dogs who otherwise wouldn't say boo to a fly will get nasty in packs.

This is why I hate one of the local doggy daycares. They just let all the dogs loose in a big room and let the fur fly. They used to do overnight boarding too, but I think they shut it down after one too many brawls. :facepalm:

If properly supervised and managed, romper room can be fun, but it's always got the potential for a fight to break out, and I wouldn't go for more than 4 adult dogs at a time. You get more than that, and it starts getting out of hand quickly.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2015, 12:28:54 AM »
I again relate the sweet boy pit I tried to adopt at the SPCA in the city. The puppy cop went by my house and turned me down due to an inadequate fence. I asked how can a dog jump a fence and maul the neighborhood if he is asleep on the couch? No dice, home checks for all dangerous breeds. So I asked about the black lab. Sure, no problem, you want him? No. Said black lab had not stopped eyeballing me the entire time I was in the runs. Complete aggression if you went near his run, but no barking. If let out I had no doubt he'd go for my throat. The vicious pit I couldn't have? Tried to beat me to death with his stub, drowned me in slobber, and peed himself and then sat in it wagging his stub because he was so happy to have some human time.

My only serious bite was from a Dachshund. 2-3 years old and the little turd tried to take my face off. The dog died the same day as my grandfather. No, not a true dog love story, dog went to the vet for the big needle as soon as the old guy passed. Not too many fans among granddad's caretakers.

Tug of war was mentioned. Worst dog game ever, lets the dog start thinking that they are somehow competing for control with a human. I don't care what breed I get they will release their mouth when I tell them to.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
A well trained dog can play tug of war and will release immediately when told if you're the alpha

Oh and FTR, the dog that attacked me in utah was a Rhodesian Ridgeback.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »
The only dog that ever really bit me was my mothers Husky.

She was old and being attacked by the two younger smaller dogs in the house. I pulled a dog off her, she spun around and clamped on to my arm. I thought they were slashers not clampers, guess I was wrong.

Once she let go I threw the Spitz I was holding by the neck out the front door. I locked the Corgi in the back room and the Husky came up to me and licked me. I genuinely think she was saying she was sorry. She never listened to me but was way more obedient (as much as a Husky can be) after this incident. 

My arm blew up like a balloon and I had to go to the ER. She gave me some pretty deep punctures that reached muscle.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
The only dog that ever really bit me was my mothers Husky.

She was old and being attacked by the two younger smaller dogs in the house. I pulled a dog off her, she spun around and clamped on to my arm. I thought they were slashers not clampers, guess I was wrong.

Once she let go I threw the Spitz I was holding by the neck out the front door. I locked the Corgi in the back room and the Husky came up to me and licked me. I genuinely think she was saying she was sorry. She never listened to me but was way more obedient (as much as a Husky can be) after this incident. 

My arm blew up like a balloon and I had to go to the ER. She gave me some pretty deep punctures that reached muscle.  

I have two white dots on my left theigh from a similar incident with a husky. Rasin was aiming at Northwest, but my leg got in the way. The funny part is I was 9 when that happened. If you look at it now, and know it's fang marks, you'd think it was the biggest dog world, because the dots are now about three inches apart. :lol:

I also have a spot under my right eye from the other husky. *shrug* I finally learned to not mess with Bandit when she went under the porch.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:05 PM »
A well trained dog can play tug of war and will release immediately

My Corso LOVED tug of war; but if anybody he was playing with said "let go" he'd drop it like you ran a charge through it. Sometimes the suddenness of the release would send people onto their butts. My nephew was always stubborn and sure he could win, that led to a few pics like this. They were both around 7 here.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2015, 11:56:07 PM »
I also have a spot under my right eye from the other husky. *shrug* I finally learned to not mess with Bandit when she went under the porch.
My brother has a decent sized Weimaraner dog.  His wife used to babysit some kids.  She had to teach the kids that when Broady went into his kennel, that was his space and they had to leave him alone.  I don't think he was ever violent, but I imagine that helped. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »
My brother has a decent sized Weimaraner dog.  His wife used to babysit some kids.  She had to teach the kids that when Broady went into his kennel, that was his space and they had to leave him alone.  I don't think he was ever violent, but I imagine that helped. 

Crazy.  I've seen kids try and climb in my dog's kennel with her in there.  They're only in danger of being slobbered to death.  She's so social especially with children that she only goes in there when there's company if ordered to do so.
Part of why I went for a Brittany was temperament.  Hell, the old guy down the road has one.  His kids are grown but his dog loves on my kids just the same as if she was raised around kids.

Classic APS thread veer I know.

Back to the OT, my wife's cousin has a pitt and it's an expert at slobbering on people.  Tail is pretty powerful and dangerous, don't leave drinks on the coffeetable.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Broady did play with the kids quite a bit from what I was told, but occasionally he would get tired of it and want to get away.  I never visited when kids were there.  If the kids were throwing something for Broady to fetch, I doubt he ever went to his kennel.  That dog would play fetch all day long.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Pitbulls are victims.  Think of this poor guy:  http://www.moron.com/biting-off-pit-bulls-testicles/

I'm pretty sure that is a fake new site...  The part where she had her son bury her and she breathed through a garden hose is a good clue.