Author Topic: Darwin award  (Read 4510 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Darwin award
« on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
Maybe I'm a little cold and jaded, but when you take a car, try and take a shortcut through a mountainous area using a rugged dirt road that isn't traveled heavily by people...you might die.

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-missing-2-weeks-found-california-wilderness-063243779.html

I have less sympathy these days for people that get themselves into preventable situations. 

Sure, there's things in life that are risky.  I take a boat offshore fishing.  And I take potable water and food just in case we end up adrift for a few days.

If you take risks intentionally, mitigate them.

If you take risks because you're stupid, it might hurt.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Darwin award
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
The amount of *expletive deleted*ing morons who will follow a road because "GPS said so!" is staggering.

Dunno about you, but I just don't take a dirt road "because the GPS told me so!". I use some logic when I'm going somewhere.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »
Those two are/were no longer reproductive.  No Darwin award.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »
The amount of *expletive deleted*ing morons who will follow a road because "GPS said so!" is staggering.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I still buy a new atlas for the areas I travel into every few years, or mosey down the the local store and get some honest to go topo maps if going somewhere new off the beaten path.

And then some people just follow the GPS because it it there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/31/driver-follows-gps-off-demolished-bridge-killing-wife-police-say/

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
and get some honest to go topo maps

Remember Microsoft Maps, and similar products, back before GPS got cheap and popular?  I think, for rural areas anyway, they just imported county plat books and such.  There's a "road" that all these map programs showed, about a mile from my Dad's place, that I knew was just a literal dirt path stretching from one county road to another county road.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
It was some number of years after we moved into our current house before our street showed up on GPS and various maps.  UPS used to have a hell of a time finding us.  We bought the house when it was about 12 years old.

Back in 2010ish, I decided to make a stop by Jim Stroh's (of AlphaPrecision gunsmithing) house on the way down to visit my parents in Alabama.  I followed the GPS even when it had me turn off the blacktop and onto a dirt road.  It was well traveled and there appeared to be a recreational facility nearby, so it wasn't too worrisome.  That changed when the GPS tried to have me turn down another dirt "road" where the tire tracks were grown over with grass and a tree had fallen over the intersection leading down that "road".  Nope.  I continued on the dirt road I was on until I reached blacktop again and the GPS was able to recalculate the route.  From there, it was smooth sailing until I got to Jim's driveway.  While paved, it was barely wide enough for one vehicle, climbed up the side of a large hill like a goat path, and had steep drop offs of 6"-2' until I got to his house.  Needless to say, meeting someone on the way down would have been troublesome.

I seldom use a dedicated GPS anymore.  I either get directions from Google Maps before leaving or use my phone's GPS/Mapping app.  Half the time, I look at what my phone tells me to do and remark that it's retarded and has never actually vetted the proposed route.  I still know how to read a regular map and keep folding maps of my most traveled areas in all of our cars.  Those have come in handy for routing around traffic issues.

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
Dunno about you, but I just don't take a dirt road "because the GPS told me so!".

Meh.  I do.  Great way to find some pretty places.  Of course, I'm also carrying a full 2 gallon gas can, (75 miles worth on open paved road or probably 30 of almost anything my car can get through...or a big signal fire in a huge hurry) 72 hour kit, comfortable walking shoes and I can handle rough navigation (i.e. if I know there's a main road to the northwest, I keep Polaris a bit off to my right or the setting sun just ahead of my left shoulder) without the GPS if it gets too bad.

Remember Microsoft Maps, and similar products, back before GPS got cheap and popular?  I think, for rural areas anyway, they just imported county plat books and such.  There's a "road" that all these map programs showed, about a mile from my Dad's place, that I knew was just a literal dirt path stretching from one county road to another county road.

I forget which brand GPS it was that my ex wife's company used, but it was obvious they just assumed any line on the map was a road.  Several times it wanted me to drive downriver, take the railroad tracks or follow a HV line right of way through a wooded area.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »

I seldom use a dedicated GPS anymore.  I either get directions from Google Maps before leaving or use my phone's GPS/Mapping app.  Half the time, I look at what my phone tells me to do and remark that it's retarded and has never actually vetted the proposed route.  I still know how to read a regular map and keep folding maps of my most traveled areas in all of our cars.  Those have come in handy for routing around traffic issues.

Chris

I'm pretty much the same. I'll turn the GPS in my vehicles on to go to places I know well just for kicks, and while it will get me to the location, it's rarely the best route. I've actually never had a GPS take me onto a sketchy road, just bad routes. But when I go places where there's gonna be sketchy road, like fishing or hunting, I'll have forest service road and other maps with me, so I'm basically prepared for what I'm getting into.

I always found the best use of vehicle GPS for me was when traveling for work. Arriving to an unknown city at night and then needing to get from the airport to my hotel, the GPS always did the trick. I doubt it routed me as efficiently as "local knowledge" would, but it got me to the hotel and bed without me missing critical offramps and turns in heavily trafficked urban areas and turning a 30 minute drive into a 60 minute drive, especially at night when I'm dead tired.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:21:21 PM »
I use the GPS pretty regularly, and some of the apps are nice in that they will reroute you around abnormally heavily traffic or warn of upcoming obstacles/police/etc.

That said, GPS also needs to be used with some (un)common sense. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and it tells me to go down farmer bobs road, I'm gonna keep driving ant let it figure out something else.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
GPS can be useful, but can't be trusted.

A couple or three years ago, after a severe storm, many houses in the neighborhood had tree damage. I had already contracted with a company recommended by a co-worker (a mistake, as it turned out, but that's a different story) when a very ratty pickup truck pulled into my driveway on a Saturday afternoon, and a very unkempt individual got out. I was in the driveway tinkering with one of the cars, so I got to him before he had taken more than a couple of steps and asked if I could help him.

Him: "I'm here to take down your damaged trees."

Me: "No you're not. I hired a company to clean up the trees, and you're not them. Who are you looking for?"

Him: "### ____ Drive."

Me: "You're not even on ____ Drive, and this isn't number ###. You're about two miles from where you want to be."

Him: "Well, my GPS says this is ### ____ Drive."

Me: "GTFO."

Problem is, I don't think he was lying. After my wife died, I took over her GPS. I rarely use it, but it is in the car. If I'm returning home on my street, it correctly tells me where my driveway is. If I fire it up while parked in front of the garage, the projected route to go anywhere starts out by taking me through the garage and rear yard, and then taking a left onto ____ Drive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
I'm not sure where they get their info but MapQuest and Google Maps both put my 911 address in the wrong place and both different. One is about 5 miles due north the other is about 3 miles due west. If I want someone to be able to find my place via GPS I have to give them the old street address that was used till the E911 system was put in place.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
No matter the navigation system, stopping a car before the road turns into fire road might be a life saver.
Older, diabetic, and driving a low clearance vehicle? Maybe not leaving pavement except on well traveled, well maintained gravel roads might keep your dumb ass alive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:21 PM »
No matter the navigation system, stopping a car before the road turns into fire road might be a life saver.
Older, diabetic, and driving a low clearance vehicle? Maybe not leaving pavement except on well traveled, well maintained gravel roads might keep your dumb ass alive.

Given that they had minimal food and water, it could be the husband might have made it were it not for the diabetes*. I'm not familiar with diabetes medicine. Does it require refrigeration? How much does a person usually carry with them? If I were a diabetic on a road trip, I think I'd want to carry a bit extra.

*Though he was in his 80's, so even two weeks without food and/or lots of water, plus the elements, could easily have done him in, while someone in their 30's could easily live (if worse for wear) with no food and a cup of water every couple or three days. I wonder if they used the heater in their vehicle for as long as they had gas in the tank?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

If nothing else,  bad things happening to dumb people is entertaining.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »

If nothing else,  bad things happening to dumb people is entertaining.

I guffawed!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Darwin award
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:25:25 AM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »
My suspicion is that a TON of GIS database info that's been ported into various brands of mapping software was done either algorithmically, software just drew map-lines on things that looked like "roads" from satellite or aerial photography, or an army of Indians in a Bangalore cube-farm did it for $.25/hr.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
My suspicion is that a TON of GIS database info that's been ported into various brands of mapping software was done either algorithmically, software just drew map-lines on things that looked like "roads" from satellite or aerial photography, or an army of Indians in a Bangalore cube-farm did it for $.25/hr.

Much of it was taken directly from TIGER files. You can start seeing differences, especially in urban areas, when you compare some older GPS units with Google nav, where their Google driver files have been integrated into the database (though Google often also does dumbass stuff like take you down a road with 50 stoplights, instead of the next one over with a couple of lights).

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
The tiger database had some anomalies when it first was released

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
Ah... .gov job.

Say no more.  :lol:
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »
Much of it was taken directly from TIGER files. You can start seeing differences, especially in urban areas, when you compare some older GPS units with Google nav, where their Google driver files have been integrated into the database (though Google often also does dumbass stuff like take you down a road with 50 stoplights, instead of the next one over with a couple of lights).

I even see a lot of stupidity with Waze, which supposedly crowdsources all of its traffic data, but still wants me to go I30-SH121-US635-US75 when going to Richardson on a Friday evening, even when I can zoom in on the 11-12 miles of 635 and see that it's moving 25-40mph over most of the distance, with dead stops in several places.  I just ignore it and go straight down I30 to US75 instead.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
Given that they had minimal food and water, it could be the husband might have made it were it not for the diabetes*. I'm not familiar with diabetes medicine. Does it require refrigeration? How much does a person usually carry with them? If I were a diabetic on a road trip, I think I'd want to carry a bit extra.

Refrigeration:  Generally 'sort of'.  Mom's calls for it, but it's supposedly good for about a month without it.  Refrigeration is more for next month's insulin than this month's.
Carry with them:  Again, depends, but it'd be unusual for mom to be on a trip without at least two week's worth.  Needles would be generally be a quicker concern than the insulin bottle.  Mom, for example, never empties the bottle, her needs are too low.  But she still goes through a needle a day, and she's low use.  Still, in the car, a month's worth of needles wouldn't be out of line.

Not recommended, but in an emergency they could re-use the needles.  Just make sure to have 'his' and 'hers'. 

More troubling would be the lack of food and/or water.  As you mention, a guy in his 80s probably doesn't need much of a push to die.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »
 Even after updating my Garmin before I take off for KW, it is worthless for getting through Louisville.  They are replacing a couple bridges downtown on I-65.  There is an Alternate I-65 posted on signs that takes one to the west then south and back east again all on a I-bypass.  My garmin would direct me right through the construction zone which is a mess.

Same deal with Indianapolis. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
Not recommended, but in an emergency they could re-use the needles.  Just make sure to have 'his' and 'hers'.

Presumably a couple that's been married more than a couple years has shared pretty much all their bodily fluids other than the ones that take serious digging to get to and they share air and probably saliva daily, so cross-infection isn't a serious worry unless one is known to have something contagious by blood contact at the time.  Cross contamination of the meds could be minimized (not eliminated, but how much is acceptable when the alternative is one person not getting their meds at all?) with a rinse, but really, if you need daily injections, I can't see going farther than the corner store with less than three needles in the car.  I tend to store current-use stock of critical supplies in the car specifically because then I have it if I decide on the spur of the moment to stay with a friend, or I get stuck in another town due to weather or breakdown.

More troubling would be the lack of food and/or water.  As you mention, a guy in his 80s probably doesn't need much of a push to die.

Yeah; I also generally keep a case of bottled water in the trunk and at least a decent meal worth of durable food even just for driving around town.  Gandhi fasted 21 days when he was in his 70s, but I don't recall him doing a lot of hikes during that time.  Bugging out from almost anywhere I normally drive, I can hike to civilization in any navigable conditions in a few hours.  Traveling during breaks in a storm or trudging through snow/ice from the most remote spots within a 4 hour drive, I could see taking up to a full 8-12 hour day to get to somewhere I can beg shelter and food.  (And that assumes both following roads and taking the worst possible direction from my breakdown point - heading out away from a town just out of sight around the next bend, for example - though not getting utterly stupid; there will be direction signs and traffic once I get to a major road.)  Obviously, a trip out of my area of familiarity would call for some extra preparation; when I drove to the Rio Grande Valley, (six degrees of latitude difference) I looked over the route, noted a few long gaps between towns, doubled up on the food and carried a 5 gallon gas can in addition to my usual 2 gallon.  Climate was a bit different, but well within the range of what I normally deal with here, (Basically, the heat and humidity there in April wouldn't be uncommon here in August if wet summers were more common here.  It was abnormally wet for them, though.) and the flora and fauna weren't different enough to cause any issues with recognizing some basic edibles.

Sitting tight and sheltering in the car, 3 days without food isn't much of a concern.  Building a base camp and/or tending injuries, I'd have to eat something within two days to avoid hypoglycemia-induced confusion and other symptoms, but that one decent meal should be able to stretch to 3-4 days worth of staving off the problematic symptoms.  Even in the dead of winter, there are food sources around here that would maintain me at "reasonably safe" calorie count for a while, (I can stand to burn some fat reserves, but generally you need to take in 1,200 calories a day to keep the metabolic processes on the "happy" side rather than the "oh crap, we're starving and need to burn protein instead" track.  While you can live a couple of weeks like that, in an indefinite survival situation, it's a bad idea to get there because you're going to need that protein in your muscles to find food, maintain your shelter, etc.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:15 PM »
So before GPS, did these people just not travel or did people just get lost all the time?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge