Author Topic: DoJ prepares one last push for gun control  (Read 851 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
DoJ prepares one last push for gun control
« on: June 02, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
http://thehill.com/regulation/243520-administration-preps-new-gun-regulations

The Justice Department plans to move forward this year with more than a dozen new gun-related regulations, according to list of rules the agency has proposed to enact before the end of the Obama administration.

The regulations range from new restrictions on high-powered pistols to gun storage requirements. Chief among them is a renewed effort to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally unstable or have been convicted of domestic abuse.

Looks to be trying to ban AR/AK pistols, and of course to exclude more people on the basis of BS mental health diagnoses.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: DoJ prepares one last push for gun control
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
Dumb question:  Just how open ended is the law on this stuff?  What are the limits on their ability to create new and restrictive regulations?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »
Dumb question:  Just how open ended in the law on this stuff?  What are the limits on their ability to create new and restrictive regulations?

The only limits are if someone with deep pockets cares enough to pour money into a series of lawsuits and activists judges don't find any penumbras or emanations that allow them to do that. So, essentially, there are no limits. See Clause, Commerce.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:29:29 PM »
The only limits are if someone with deep pockets cares enough to pour money into a series of lawsuits and activists judges don't find any penumbras or emanations that allow them to do that. So, essentially, there are no limits. See Clause, Commerce.
Absurd!  The Constitution provides complete protection from government abuse and usurpations.  Just read the Bill of Rights, man.  It's all in there.  Read the contemporaneous remarks of the Founding Fathers, the Federalist Papers too.  Hah!   I say again, HAH!
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
A last push? I don't know. I figure they can fit in a few more pushes in the next 19-1/2 months.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
A last push? I don't know. I figure they can fit in a few more pushes in the next 19-1/2 months.

Of course, but you must also consider the pre-Presidential Election no boat-rocking window. The distempered masses in flyover country must be lulled, however briefly, into complacency until 2 November 2016.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »
Of course, but you must also consider the pre-Presidential Election no boat-rocking window. The distempered masses in flyover country must be lulled, however briefly, into complacency until 2 November 2016.

Unless they figure they're going to lose anyway, in which case they push to screw things up as much as possible.  IIRC Corzine did some stuff to really screw NJ (worse than usual) until mere hours (minutes??) before Christie was inaugurated. 
Formerly sumpnz

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:09:42 AM »
I believe the agenda in question is here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOJ-OAG-2015-0006-0001

As for specific rules ...
http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201504&RIN=1140-AA23
RIN: 1140-AA23

Title: Machine Guns, Destructive Devices, and Certain Other Firearms--Amended Definition of "Pistol"
Abstract:
This rule would propose to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms
regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term "pistol" and to define more clearly exceptions to the "pistol" definition.
Not very informative, but searching for 1140-AA23 gets us a 2011 proposal under the same tag:
http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201110&RIN=1140-AA23
DOJ/ATF   RIN: 1140-AA23   Publication ID: Fall 2011
Title: Machine Guns, Destructive Devices, and Certain Other Firearms--Amended Definition of "Pistol"
Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term "pistol" and to define more clearly exceptions to the "pistol" definition. The added language is necessary to clarify that certain weapons, including any weapon disguised to look like an item other than a firearm or any gun that fires more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger, are not pistols and are classified as "any other weapon" under the NFA.
Not sure if that is identical or not.

Other interesting items:
1140-AA33
The Department of Justice is planning to propose to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to require licensed manufacturers and licensed importers to place identification markings on the outer tube of firearm silencers and firearm mufflers. The proposed regulations are intended to allow for identification markings to be placed conspicuously and legibly in one location providing consistency throughout the industry.
Seems targeted at things like oil filter adapters or suppressors whose serialized component is not the main tube.  This has been done by some manufacturers so that if you do have a baffle strike you can have them replace the non-serialized components that were damaged as the serialized component cannot be replaced without applying for another tax stamp.

1140-AA10 - Relating to Secure Gun Storage
The Department of Justice is planning to propose to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to implement certain provisions of Public Law 105-277, Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, 1999. The amendments are with regard to: (1) certification by applicants for dealers' licenses that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place where firearms are sold to nonlicensed individuals, and (2) amended definitions of certain terms, including an amended definition of "antique firearm," to include certain muzzle loading firearms
Seems to be mostly a dealer-specific regulation.  Not real sure about the breadth of the second component.