Author Topic: AARP?  (Read 4221 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
AARP?
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »
I know we have some seasoned citizens on the board here, so I'll ask because I hit the big 5-0 later this month.  (Something I did not expect to see a few years back...)

Anywho, I got the "Congrats for hitting the half century mark !!" from AARP.  And I know they are a bunch leftwing Obamalovers, who pushed long and hard for Obamacare.  (Plus other leftwing causes).  I really hate giving them $16 and using that to lobby against what I believe in.  However, some of the discounts are pretty good for travel and the like.

So I have a several part question for the Hive Mind (At least the part of it over 50).

1) Should I join AARP or not?
2) Isn't there another Olde Phart group that's a bit more right of center I could join?
3) Should I join AARP for just one year, get the card and use the hell out of it, even long after it expires.  (Do they expire?)
4) Does the Rightwing Olde Phart group have the similar or better deals?
5) Other ideas/options?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: AARP?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »
What deals are you looking at? Are they that much better than other group discounts (AAA, USAA, etc.?). I kind of dismissed them out of hand because they sent me their membership stuff a couple of weeks before my 50th, and the "senior citizen" implication pissed me off.  :laugh:

I'm kind of wishy-washy regarding good deals and places that are not necessarily in line with my political philosophies. I don't know what I'd do without Costco for instance. In fact I'd probably have to stop shopping at easily 50% of the places I currently use, just on the gun issue alone. So I guess I'm saying if AARP had some really killer deals, say on something expensive like health insurance, I'd probably sell out and join them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »
Aaa gives good discounts.  Plus provide useful services.  Aarp makes diddly on dues.  It is an insurnace company more thany anything.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:17:18 AM »
All the insurance they "provide" are not "theirs, but from UHC, The Hartford, and/or New York Life, so they are not an insurance company, per say, and even calling them an insurance broker might be a stretch.  However I bet they earn a pretty penny from those companies to be they preferred providers or offering discounts to their members.

October of next year I lose my COBRA coverage, and will need a Medicare supplement, so that's the discount I refer to mostly.   Travel, though is another matter.  I already use Hotels.com and/or Choicerewards to book hotel rooms (Mostly done at the last minute while traveling.)  Getting another 10-15% off would be even better (OMG, I'm channeling my mother, next I'll be cutting and usuing coupons, especially expired ones.).  And we do quite a bit (along with eating out when on the road), a few bucks here and there start to add up.  Especially for those of us on a fixed income...

I've tried USAA travel service.  SWA has the cheapest flights out of Chicago and they don't deal with travel websites other then their own,, so I only use USAA to book rental cars (Where again, an additional discount would be nice.)

So again, I'm looking for people that actually are members and their experiences with them.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:30 AM »
>>>1) Should I join AARP or not?
I joined because my own COBRA was about to expire and my "theory" was they would be a pretty good start on consolidating my senior needs.  I am now with their United Health Care program, but I only had one minor claim.  Dollar-wise, it's about $100/mo, with no Rx provisions.

>>>2) Isn't there another Olde Phart group that's a bit more right of center I could join?
There are alternatives to them, but my "theory" was, like the NRA, they were the biggest and strongest gorilla in Washington WRT senior issues.

The $16 annual membership fee is purely nominal.  They  provide (sell?) your information to their preferred providers, who then deluge you with mail solicitations.  I've got a POB, which discourages general junk mail, but after joining them I would find my little POB crammed with rather bulky solicitations.  I asked them in writing to only send me stuff directly related to my account to no avail.  So be prepared for that.

I did get a lot of stuff from the Hartford and ignored it until my State Farm (SF) car insurance was about to expire.  SF was very stubborn about reducing my premiums because of my excellent driving record (knock wood), my age, and my minimal driving habits (<5k mileses/year).  I warned SF that I was looking around, that they weren't competitive, and they insisted on telling me they had reduced my premium as much as they could.

So, I called Hartford and gave them my data and I found I got substantially the same coverage for somewhat over half what I was paying SF --call it 60-ish%.  In addition, I found that they also (like Progressive) offer that little recording dealie which you plug in to your car's diagnostic plug for possibly more of a discount, so I opted for that, too.*  SF did not have such a device.  (I note also that SF has been selling off a lot of their buildings... I wonder why.)

I have no idea how good or bad their claim service is, and hopefully will not need to find out. :)   I am simply tired of supporting shitty drivers' bad habits with my SF premiums.

>>>3) Should I join AARP for just one year, get the card and use the hell out of it, even long after it expires.  (Do they expire?)
They do expire.  (ETA: See point 5, below.) I have no idea what the legal implications of "borderline fraudulent" flashing of their card for discounts might be, but when I got my AARP cell phone from Sears, they actually called  AARP to confirm my  membership number and status.  In general, I find that I can get senior discounts just by asking for them anyhow.  But then again, I don't look any 50 years old anymore.  Like by about 26 of 'em.

>>>4) Does the Rightwing Olde Phart group have the similar or better deals?
I imagine that cherry-picking for what you want might yield better money deals, but I have not done a rigorous analysis of them, again, on the "gorilla" theory.

I agree with Ben as to the bad taste in my mouth on  dealing with leftie groups.  I'm pretty right-wing, and I even carry that out to avoiding movies and other entertainment outlets which involve rabid left wingers, but nowdays it's virtually impossible to maintain one's political stance in ordinary commerce.  E.g., I broke my Uhmurrikun-made coffepot recently and quickly bought a Chinese coffeemaker for about $8.00 from Wal-mart. So I am also loyal to my wallet and hope my other efforts to stem the tide of hyperleftism will make up for my practical outlook on commercial matters.

>>>5) Other ideas/options?
Incorporated in the above summary.  One thing I got a rush of brains to the head about yesterday, is that with the different expiration dates of those other benefits I mentioned, I am kind of "locked in" to AARP, unless I quit all of them at once, which would be impractical, because I'd have to find substitute providers in a grand panicky effort.  Hm.

Terry

* Heh.  They told me that among other things, the device senses braking habits.  That bothered me a little, since avoiding aholes made frequent braking necessary, and besides, I flash my brakes a lot to signal other drivers --like when backing, etc.  She (the representative) laughed and said not to worry about things like that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:01:17 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:25:34 AM »
* Heh.  They told me that among other things, the device senses braking habits.  That bothered me a little, since avoiding aholes made frequent braking necessary, and besides, I flash my brakes a lot to signal other drivers --like when backing, etc.  She (the representative) laughed and said not to worry about things like that.

I have one of those.  It detects 'hard' and 'extreme' braking.  Brake light flashing doesn't man jack to it, but if you slam on your brakes hard frequently, it adds up.

I can often tell when I've braked hard enough to trip it, it's annoying when I'm right in that 'zone' of braking hard enough to trip the sensor or run the red light.  Or the idiot cuts in front of me and brakes hard to make a turn.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:14:22 AM »
Try AMAC.com

My Mother isn't a big fan of AARP, but keeps it for some of the benefits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »
It's been quite a while since I let my AARP membership expire.  I did not find their travel discounts to be any more than NRA or AAA or even the "I got my credit card through X bank" affinity programs.  I do not know if CUNA still has a discount program but you can ask your credit union.

As I recall it, their "magazine" was about as useful as the monthly advertizing slick-page I get from AAA.  Maybe I was just living the wrong lifestyle?

Do not add any affinity discount program until you check to see if the place where you plan to use the discount will give you the second discount.  My experience (YMMV) has been that places that give discounts do not give more than one.

I have heard (again YMMV) from folks who have their various insurances through AARP that the claims service is not as wonderful as they paint it to be (imagine that!).  There are folks out  there who live off the insurance (health as well as auto) companies by doing the searching for you - most of the time they can show you more comparisons than Progressive's cherry-picked three.

Aren't you Medicare eligible even though you are under 65?  For some reason my brain wants to say that your disability/diagnosis puts you in with us more experienced folks.

Medicare sends you a big thick book listing every company that provides Supplement or Advantage plans where you live.  They list the cost for each one as well as any added perks Company A provides in addition to the standardized plan.  Medicare Supplement an Advantage plans are supposed to all be the same at the basic level.  Then you can add additional coverages like dental or Rx drugs.  I picked my plan because the provider had the lowest cost of those that offered coverage for a procedure I may need but the VA will not cover.  (So far I have not needed it, but if I live as long as They say I am likely to I will have spent in monthly premiums only about 15% of the cost of the procedure.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »
There are alternatives to them, but my "theory" was, like the NRA, they were the biggest and strongest gorilla in Washington WRT senior issues.
Didn't I hear the AARP pretty much sold their members down the river with Obamacare?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
AARP offended me when they started sending me materials when I hadn't even turned 50.

Also, I refuse to give money to a group that opposes me politically (if I can help it).

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
If you want to give money to people to hate you, go right ahead and join:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/4/10/does-the-aarp-still-want-your-guns/

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
I don't really have a problem shopping at a store that has different political beliefs. But AARP as I understand it is a political lobbying .org so I would think joining them would be directly supporting their policies. Ymmv etc
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »
Try AMAC.com

My Mother isn't a big fan of AARP, but keeps it for some of the benefits.

It's amac.us, and thanks.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
I don't really have a problem shopping at a store that has different political beliefs. But AARP as I understand it is a political lobbying .org so I would think joining them would be directly supporting their policies. Ymmv etc

That is a good point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »
Just perusing the amac.us website.  Seems like they offer everything that AARP but without the anti-2A, leftwing, BS lobbying.  

So that looks like the one I'll be joining....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:58:18 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.