Author Topic: FDA orders end of artifical trans-fats in processed food within 3 years  (Read 7613 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The pork/beef/dairy lobby is strong.

Not that strong.  The HealthNazi's are much, much, much stronger.  Ask any kid eating lunch in a public school.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
The got permission from the FedGov to add it in the first place did they not? 

You start to wonder why the FDA even regulates this stuff.  It doesn't remove liability for the company if the FDA approves it and they constantly find stuff that was approved that is not so good. 

Bingo.  All those TV ads for "If you took X Medicine, we can add you to the class action suit to jack up our fees!!!  Call Now !!!"  would go away.  If the FDA approved it and it is later determined to be "harmful", then too bad.  You might be able to sue the .gov, but the outrageous fees and awards would/should be reduced.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Seems to me, with the FDA's ambiguous record about what is and isn't safe, we should let people make their own decisions about what to put into their bodies.  

Of course, that doesn't give the control freaks an opening to insert themselves into every corner of our lives.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
They got permission from the FedGov to add it in the first place did they not?

'Generally Recognized as Safe' means that it was grandfathered in.  Basically, the FDA hadn't gotten around to regulating food additives yet, so once they did so and started requiring studies to show that any new ones were safe, they grandfathered stuff in that there hadn't been any studies on.

Of course, that means that every so often enough studies come up, especially for long-term effects like transfats, that a previously grandfathered ingredient has their approval revoked.

Bingo.  All those TV ads for "If you took X Medicine, we can add you to the class action suit to jack up our fees!!!  Call Now !!!"  would go away.  If the FDA approved it and it is later determined to be "harmful", then too bad.  You might be able to sue the .gov, but the outrageous fees and awards would/should be reduced.

My thought is that if it was FDA approved, you're only liable for strict damages - IE no punitive damages, just injury amounts.  Unless it's found that you played shenanigans like hiding studies that showed the danger earlier from the government.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Not that strong.  The HealthNazi's are much, much, much stronger.  Ask any kid eating lunch in a public school.

Receiving federal dollars can make a lot entities do things to keep receiving the federal dollars.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• friend
Receiving federal dollars can make a lot entities do things to keep receiving the federal dollars.

Yep, however, it's the bureaucrats that run the .gov.  Not the policritters.  All one has to do is observe the various hearing being held on the variety of .gov f-ups.  IRS, The VA, Benghazi, Clinton's e-mails, OPM security breach, Obamacare rollout.  All talk and who got fired/not allowed to retire on a full pension, much less anyone actually going to jail?!?!?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  The bureaucrats know that they are untouchable, sure there might be some uncomfortable moments while being questioned, but hey, so what.  You'll either a) keep your job, b) retire with a full pension, or c) move to a different (and probably better higher paying) job.   You simply can't lose, sure prep-ing and being questioned by House members will suck, but hey, you've got you attorney(s) paid for by your agency, there to help you answer questions or plead the fifth after giving your statement.  It's all good after that.

SO if you think the Beef/Pork/Chicken industry and their lobbyists can trump that, you haven't been paying attention.

The food nannies are in charge over at the FDA, and they can produce hundreds, if not thousands of paid for studies showing that "Animal Products are bad, mmmmkay." and thwart the will of the people and Congress, because they know best.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Added trans fats fit the definition of unintended consequences.

The idea was noble and sound. Preserve food longer.

They didn't know that they would park in your arteries in the long run and plug things up.

A lot of the bad press natural saturated fat received was probably due to damage that was actually done by trans fats.

Saturated fats are necessary for our good health; added trans fats are unnatural and should be avoided.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
In the last dozen years we have voluntarily cut back on our trans fat consumption by 80% but that's not enough for our Lords and masters so now they're going to mandate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I