Author Topic: FDA orders end of artifical trans-fats in processed food within 3 years  (Read 7612 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I guess the feds are transphobic. But what if the fats identify as carbohydrates?

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm451237.htm
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends

What about trans fats in soap?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
 :facepalm:  What a screwed up country this is. Congress pressured the administration to leave green tip ammo alone. They ought to step up on this issue, as well.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
:facepalm:  What a screwed up country this is. Congress pressured the administration to leave green tip ammo alone. They ought to step up on this issue, as well.

If you believe the science, this move will save about $7B a year in medical expenses, but cost the food industry about $6.2B to re-engineer stuff.

There's a bit of a difference between green tip ammo that is, statistically speaking, not killing anybody, and trans-fats, which per the science IS killing people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
If you believe the science, this move will save about $7B a year in medical expenses, but cost the food industry about $6.2B to re-engineer stuff.

There's a bit of a difference between green tip ammo that is, statistically speaking, not killing anybody, and trans-fats, which per the science IS killing people.

;/ OK, Mom.

Firethorn

• friend

;/ OK, Mom.

I'm of mixed thoughts on this - part of the problem is that trans-fats were put in all sorts of foods.  Smoking is a known hazard - I know I'm smoking tobacco or not.  It's easy to avoid.

However, it takes a lot more work to make sure trans-fats aren't in any of your food, if you don't want to experience the joys of extra medical care or death.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Trans fats are primarily added to food by the manufacturer to increase shelf life.

It is an additive that is there primarily to increase shelf life and has zero nutritional value.

It probably should have never been OK'd for use in the first place.

If you want to have bad cholesterol numbers and die early of heart disease consume a lot of trans fats.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/ART-20046114

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
The fun part is many high trans fat stuff started getting added when there was a big push away from saturated fats.

The irony would be delicious (literally) if a bunch of company's just pulled out their recipe archives and went back to using lard and tallow.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I don't care if trans-fats are knocking on doors like the land-shark, and eating children whole. No alphabet agency should have that kind of fiat power.

zahc

• friend
Practically, this is going to clobber the rain forests. I would recommend investing in Palm oil plantations.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Trans fats are primarily added to food by the manufacturer to increase shelf life.

It is an additive that is there primarily to increase shelf life and has zero nutritional value.

It probably should have never been OK'd for use in the first place.

If you want to have bad cholesterol numbers and die early of heart disease consume a lot of trans fats.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/ART-20046114

.... according to the current fad of scientific thinking.

I've stopped accepting whatever new trend in nutrition the experts push. Unless it is a lasting result, I'm planning on eating what I like.

Oh, and we never should have allowed anything that increases shelf-life? I guess you hate the poor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
.... according to the current fad of scientific thinking.

I've stopped accepting whatever new trend in nutrition the experts push. Unless it is a lasting result, I'm planning on eating what I like.

Oh, and we never should have allowed anything that increases shelf-life? I guess you hate the poor.

Haha, you can't be serious - this is like saying that anti smoking campaigns are "just a fad" that might someday be reversed.  Yeah right.

I can't help but think that corporate media conditions people to maintain such ridiculous positions.  Then again, some of us think the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are fraud, all without industrial backing.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
I'm of mixed thoughts on this - part of the problem is that trans-fats were put in all sorts of foods.  Smoking is a known hazard - I know I'm smoking tobacco or not.  It's easy to avoid.

However, it takes a lot more work to make sure trans-fats aren't in any of your food, if you don't want to experience the joys of extra medical care or death.

How dare you say something reasonable about govern,net regulation.  Small amounts of arsenic should even be legal as an additive, so long as people have the freedom to conduct their own home chemical testing.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Haha, you can't be serious - this is like saying that anti smoking campaigns are "just a fad" that might someday be reversed.  Yeah right.

I can't help but think that corporate media conditions people to maintain such ridiculous positions.  Then again, some of us think the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are fraud, all without industrial backing.

The science on smoking is a long-term, lasting scientific result, that people were well aware of even before science bore out the results.

How long have transfats been bad? Oh, is coffee bad today or good? How about butter and saturated fats?

Also, why do you hate poor people?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
The science on smoking is a long-term, lasting scientific result, that people were well aware of even before science bore out the results.

How long have transfats been bad? Oh, is coffee bad today or good? How about butter and saturated fats?

Also, why do you hate poor people?

Trans fats have been bad for nearly 39 years now.  Poor people with insane rates of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer are not benefitting from teams fats

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
How dare you say something reasonable about govern,net regulation.  Small amounts of arsenic should even be legal as an additive, so long as people have the freedom to conduct their own home chemical testing.

Small amounts of arsenic SHOULD be legal as an additive. Someone is unaware of the SCIENCE!, but small amounts of things like arsenic are actually beneficial.

But of course, SCIENCE! is hard.

Oh, and amusingly, the federal government has not put a limitation on the amount of arsenic in our food. http://www.livescience.com/23304-arsenic-rice-fda-health-effects.html

Good thing they are saving us from THAT danger.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Trans fats have been bad for nearly 39 years now.  Poor people with insane rates of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer are not benefitting from teams fats

39 years now? Can you cite me that study, because most of the studies I've found are FAR more recent.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Incidentally, my opinion and philosophy is moderation in all things. I'm willing to bet that's going to be the end result.

Of course, moderation is not a virtue found in government.

MechAg94

• friend
Haha, you can't be serious - this is like saying that anti smoking campaigns are "just a fad" that might someday be reversed.  Yeah right.

I can't help but think that corporate media conditions people to maintain such ridiculous positions.  Then again, some of us think the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are fraud, all without industrial backing.
Have you seen the anti-smoking commercials they are running these days?  It is most definitely a fad. 

If they put that scrutiny and hate for tobacco toward any number of other products sold as healthy, they could make commericals just as bad or worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
How dare you say something reasonable about govern,net regulation.  Small amounts of arsenic should even be legal as an additive, so long as people have the freedom to conduct their own home chemical testing.

What if it's already in your food?

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/06/21/eight_toxic_foods_a_little_chemical_education.php

(If you want you can skip ahead to #8.   ;))
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Don't interject facts into a good zomg. You killjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

I don't think the FDA even knows that kind of fat actually exists. [tinfoil]
Come to think of it, I have my doubts as well.  :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

:%s/'trans fats'/anything/

Too much salt will do it too, but try living without salt.  Too many eggs will do it, but who wants to live without eggs?  Too much bacon will do it, but it's not living without bacon.  Too much food of nearly any kind will have the same result, so we should demand that the FDA ban all food products.

But of course, SCIENCE! is hard.

Again, because of government overregulation and litigious twits.  Have you tried to buy a proper chemistry set lately?  No way in hell you're going to find a Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab either.  I'm going to have to resort to black market sources if my kids are to become evil geniuses.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
I'm going to have to resort to black market sources if my kids are to become evil geniuses.
Make that part of the learning process.  They'll need black market savvy as much as anything else, I'm afraid.

Firethorn

• friend
Too much food of nearly any kind will have the same result, so we should demand that the FDA ban all food products.

Slippery slope much?  If it's beneficial in limited quantities, the FDA doesn't do jack about it.  The FDA hasn't found any nutritional benefit to trans-fats and plenty of negatives.  The companies can do other things if they want longer shelf lives, or they can, you know, tighten up their supply chain a bit and keep things a little fresher.

I don't buy pre-sliced bread anymore.  I either bake my own or get something like an Italian loaf from the bakery department.  They're just better, and not really any more expensive where I live.