Author Topic: The drumbeat for more gun control continues  (Read 4708 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The drumbeat for more gun control continues
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:35 AM »
Pope Francis:  if you manufacture weapons, you're not a Christian.

TURIN, Italy (Reuters) - People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-says-weapons-manufacturers-cant-call-themselves-christian-184139430.html

Perhaps he needs to re-read Luke 22:36 and Joel 3:10.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The drumbeat for more gun control continues
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »
It's almost as unchristian as turning a blind eye to a dictator murdering entire nations because there is a tacit understanding that the dictator will not challenge your establishment if you don't challenge his.

Bet those Armenians in 1916 would have liked some Christian arms manufacturers to help. Or the Kurds...

Ban all the guns you want. Until hate is taken from man's heart whatever tool is used will not matter(Rwanda). A good Christian whatevertheheckyouwanttobe  protects his flock from those that hate.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:32:27 AM »
Pope can go *expletive deleted*ck himself. If he can spare the time away from the alter boys.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 06:36:56 AM »
So time to start making swords.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 07:33:39 AM »
The media tends to twist Francis's words to the left. Perhaps this is another such case.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Being a protestant, "he's not the boss of me".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »
Being a Methodist, NO ONE'S the boss of me...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Being a Methodist, NO ONE'S the boss of me...  :rofl:

I thought Methodists answered to their class meeting.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
Pope Francis:  if you manufacture weapons, you're not a Christian.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-says-weapons-manufacturers-cant-call-themselves-christian-184139430.html

Perhaps he needs to re-read Luke 22:36 and Joel 3:10.

The pope needs to google the word 'Pharisee,' because he's been acting like one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
Further evidence that the pope selection process is not divine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
The media tends to twist Francis's words to the left. Perhaps this is another such case.

It would be interesting to see what he actually said, and what the actual context is.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
Can't find a full transcript anywhere, the quote from the article is as full as is available anywhere.

"It makes me think of ... people, managers, businessmen who call themselves Christian and they manufacture weapons. That leads to a bit a distrust, doesn't it?"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
I was raised Catholic, and went to Catholic elementary school for grades 1-8. The priests I encountered back then all seemed to be good-natured, honorable, pious men who had a calling to help; in short, they were everything you'd expect a parish priest to be, and AFAIK, NONE of the abuse scandals touched my school or parish. I remember our parish priests asking for prayers for the conversion of the communists, and for more prayers for those martyred by the commies, Moslems, and others.

This pope . . . this pope . . . every time he opens his mouth, it seems he has few if any of the virtues of the parish priests I knew growing up.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »
"The great powers had the pictures of the railway lines that brought the trains to the concentration camps like Auschwitz to kill Jews, Christians, homosexuals, everybody. Why didn't they bomb (the railway lines)?"

I caught a few minutes of Rush on the way back from lunch.  He mentioned this quote and thought it was a bit at odds with the other quote.  How can you condemn gun owners/manufacturers and then ask that they bomb the rail ways? 

I don't know that the quotes say he doesn't think they are Christian, but that is the interpretation being repeated.  I don't know what other point he would be trying to make.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
Something related that Rush brought up:

Rove: Only Way to Reduce Violence Is Remove Guns from Society
I mean basically the only way to guarantee that we will dramatically reduce acts of violence involving guns is to basically remove guns from society, and until somebody gets enough “oomph” to repeal the Second Amendment, that’s not going to happen.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/rove-only-way-reduce-violence-remove-guns-society
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
Something related that Rush brought up:

Rove: Only Way to Reduce Violence Is Remove Guns from Societyhttp://www.truthrevolt.org/news/rove-only-way-reduce-violence-remove-guns-society
I mean basically the only way to guarantee that we will dramatically reduce acts of violence involving guns is to basically remove guns from society, and until somebody gets enough “oomph” to repeal the Second Amendment, that’s not going to happen

I was watching the program Rove was on yesterday.  Rove was NOT advocating that either guns ought to be banned, or confiscated.  He was saying that before it could happen, the second amendment would have to be repealed, but he said that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
I know that Rove is either loved or hated, even amongst right-wingers.  Either way one ought to understand the full context of what he said.   I have seen mis-quotes about this and I have heard bits taken out of context to make it seem he was advocating gun banning.  I'm tired of it.  And this is NOT aimed at  MechAg94  it is a comment aimed at the innernetz ( [tinfoil] :facepalm: ) in general.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »
This pope . . . this pope . . . every time he opens his mouth, it seems he has few if any of the virtues of the parish priests I knew growing up.  =(

Every time he opens his mouth, he's misquoted. Nearly every time I hear about something Francis says, it sounds solidly left-of-center. And then I find out that his actual words, in context, were in the center or center-right. I don't know if the meed-juh have just convinced themselves that he's on their side, or if they are trying to dispirit conservatives by making him seem that way, or if it's both.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »

I was watching the program Rove was on yesterday.  Rove was NOT advocating that either guns ought to be banned, or confiscated.  He was saying that before it could happen, the second amendment would have to be repealed, but he said that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
I know that Rove is either loved or hated, even amongst right-wingers.  Either way one ought to understand the full context of what he said.   I have seen mis-quotes about this and I have heard bits taken out of context to make it seem he was advocating gun banning.  I'm tired of it.  And this is NOT aimed at  MechAg94  it is a comment aimed at the innernetz ( [tinfoil] :facepalm: ) in general.
Either way, I think it was a foolish thing to say.  If all guns were magically gone tomorrow, the violence in society would likely increase quite a bit.  Even if you restrict it to just the govt, the same would happen.

On the other side of that, the 2nd Amendment doesn't really apply to criminals.... or I mean to say that laws have little effect on those that are not law abiding. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »
Didn't Cain use a rock?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »
Either way, I think it was a foolish thing to say. 
It was stated very inartfully, IMHO.  Had he expressed it more precisely I don't believe it would be as tendentious as it has been.

If all guns were magically gone tomorrow, the violence in society would likely increase quite a bit.  Even if you restrict it to just the govt, the same would happen.

On the other side of that, the 2nd Amendment doesn't really apply to criminals.... or I mean to say that laws have little effect on those that are not law abiding. 
True and true.  With perhaps as many as one million defensive uses of guns per year in America, I think you could count on that number as a base for the number in increased murders and other violent crimes.  That might easily increase as criminals increased their activities as they discovered how successful they could be.
And no laws apply to criminals.
I was listening to Faux snews' Bill O'Reilly repeat his opinion their should be a gun registry today on his show.  He keeps responding that people who point out its flaws are being "theoretical."  ???  I don't think O'Reilly knows that there have been several major court decisions that state that you can't actually force "criminals" to register their guns, as it violates their 5th amendment rights.  Therefor, any criminal thus arrested solely for an unregistered gun would be released by the judge if O'Reilly's law were to be actually enacted, as it would be a violation of those aforesaid court decisions afirming 5th amendment protections.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »
It was stated very inartfully, IMHO.  Had he expressed it more precisely I don't believe it would be as tendentious as it has been.

That is a pattern with the current pontiff. And even those of us outside the fold are noticing.

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 07:01:41 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »

That is a pattern with the current pontiff. And even those of us outside the fold are noticing.
I had been referring to Karl Rove with my statement. 

For the Pope, I just think it is foolish to speak against guns/weapons at all.  IMO, it shows a decided lack of knowledge or application of history and military history. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »
I had been referring to Karl Rove with my statement. 

For the Pope, I just think it is foolish to speak against guns/weapons at all.  IMO, it shows a decided lack of knowledge or application of history and military history. 

I doubt that at all- he's very knowledgeable.
There have been many popes in the past that supported small arms bans on the peasant class.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama