Author Topic: Over/under on 4th of July drone stories.  (Read 2568 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Over/under on 4th of July drone stories.
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »
So how many stories, in the two weeks following the fourth, will we hear about someone who used a drone to launch fireworks, or their drone got shot down by fireworks, or two or more drones used fireworks to dogfight or as AGMs?

If I was a bookie and set the number at 25 would you take the over or the under?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Over/under on 4th of July drone stories.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:31 AM »
over. Now I want a drone. Never considered doing roman candle gun runs until now. Thank you for making the world a less safe place.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:31:03 PM »
over. Now I want a drone. Never considered doing roman candle gun runs until now. Thank you for making the world a less safe place.

Yeah, that sounds pretty awesome. :rofl: [ar15]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to attach an air gun to mine. Or explosives. ;)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:34:23 PM »
How high can you go? I would live to have one directly over fireworks outa range. Just barely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »
The FAA guidelines ask that hobbyists not fly higher than 400 feet, but there's guys who've flown the model I have over 4,000 feet.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »
How high can you go? I would live to have one directly over fireworks outa range. Just barely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a youtubes from inside the fireworks show with a drone. Pretty high on the cool meter for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-wnDCJ3rgU

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
The FAA guidelines ask that hobbyists not fly higher than 400 feet, but there's guys who've flown the model I have over 4,000 feet.

And this is what happens

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/05/investigation-launched-after-pilot-spots-drone-near-jfk-airport/

When one of these clueless dolts flies one into an aircraft....expect registration and no fly zones to become the reality of drone operations.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
expect registration and no fly zones to become the reality of drone operations.
For one excuse or another, coming soon.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »
Yeah, a few idiots will mess it up for everyone else.

Right now there's guidelines, but there's nothing in the law that I'm aware of that covers UAV's other than no-fly zones around airports. All it will take is one collision or injury and then there will be mandatory training, fees, licenses, restrictions and overall loss of fun.

It's a blast right now just doing figure 8's at 50 feet or seeing how low I can zip along the ground without crashing. When my skills are better I want to do sunset videos of the bayou areas here. I don't have any desire to try to interfere with real aircraft.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
There are so many seriously amazing commercial implications for drones.  Structural inspections, wildlife counting, photography and a bunch more.  I'd even go as far as to say that for LEO it could be amazing for officer and public safety.  Imagine being able to search for a suspect with one or using one to follow a stolen car instead of a high speed chase.

But some idiot is going to do something really dumb and ruin it for everyone.  Well hell, there's lots of dumb already....like Dick said it's going to be when someone damages something or hurts someone with one.

https://youtu.be/a0FpLiKKuZI
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
Around here we've had two instances of drones interfering with water/retardant drops during wildfires. Some idiot(s) were flying camera drones right in the drop zone. I don't recall the relative heights involved but obviously you don't want to risk losing a tanker because even if you know where the drone is right now, you don't know to what area the idiot is going to fly it next.

In both instances drops had to be delayed.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 08:54:28 PM »
We watched the fireworks on the beach in Asbury park NJ.
Someone did send up a drone near the fireworks.
No it was not the NSA. I could see the group of people responsible for sending it up.
Bet they got some good footage as long as the camera could compensate for the bright flashes.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
When you say "over/under", was that a suggestion?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
Around here we've had two instances of drones interfering with water/retardant drops during wildfires.

Ban wildfires then.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
Over/under?

I was gonna go with an autoloader.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

just Warren

• friend

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 09:42:56 PM »
Around here we've had two instances of drones interfering with water/retardant drops during wildfires. Some idiot(s) were flying camera drones right in the drop zone. I don't recall the relative heights involved but obviously you don't want to risk losing a tanker because even if you know where the drone is right now, you don't know to what area the idiot is going to fly it next.

In both instances drops had to be delayed.

So that fire that jumped the freeway in LA and burned all those cars? Airdrops were compromised by five- FIVE- drones. Including two that chased a tanker.

Find these idiots and hurt them in some way.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
Break their toys then break their control appendages (fingers)!!

"How F#*%ing stupid can you get?" used to be a common expression. Now I'm afraid it sounds too much like a question that someone just has to answer!!!

Stay safe.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
Break their toys then break their control appendages (fingers)!!

"How F#*%ing stupid can you get?" used to be a common expression. Now I'm afraid it sounds too much like a question that someone just has to answer!!!

Stay safe.

Unfortunately, I think it is more along the lines of a challenge or goal than question to answer.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Yeah, a few idiots will mess it up for everyone else.

Right now there's guidelines, but there's nothing in the law that I'm aware of that covers UAV's other than no-fly zones around airports. All it will take is one collision or injury and then there will be mandatory training, fees, licenses, restrictions and overall loss of fun . . .
Enforcement outside of urban areas will be difficult.

Now, I wonder how many druggies are using small UAVs to transport, say, a kilo of coke across the border at a time? Might be tricky handing off control from the launch site in Mexico to the landing site in USA, but, hey, if they can dig a mile of tunnel to get a drug kingpin out of a Mexican jail, they can probably hire programmers to set up UAV control.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »
Enforcement outside of urban areas will be difficult.

Now, I wonder how many druggies are using small UAVs to transport, say, a kilo of coke across the border at a time? Might be tricky handing off control from the launch site in Mexico to the landing site in USA, but, hey, if they can dig a mile of tunnel to get a drug kingpin out of a Mexican jail, they can probably hire programmers to set up UAV control.

All you gotta do is get it across I presume.  What's a thousand dollar drone when you can make a lot more doing it?  Disposable.
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
I'm not aware of any retail drones with more than 20 to 25 minutes of flight time. Many will get 1200 to 2000 feet out of the box, but there's plenty of users who've modified their uav's to get 2 to 4 miles.

DJI and 3DR have flight software that allows you to set a course for the uav. DJI's software limits the distance to 1500 feet, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable could eliminate that restriction.

There's all sorts of drone sensors available, which listen for characteristic noises. I've read that drones on radar look like birds, although I would think a bird flying straight for a couple of miles might be unusual.

I don't know how much coke the uav could carry. I've seen videos of the latest DJI Phantom 3 lifting 2 pounds, but that's just hovering a few feet off the ground. There's another uav, the Spreading Wings, that will lift 8 pounds. Both would have their flight times severely shorted with that kind of weight.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
The cartels can afford a multiple ground station UAS and can just relay the stuff in. Available at discount prices from your local Mexican Army supplier.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
DJI and 3DR have flight software that allows you to set a course for the uav. DJI's software limits the distance to 1500 feet, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable could eliminate that restriction.

No need; lots of the original Hexacopter kits used fully open source firmware, including GPS-based flight control that was shown to be able to fly a multi-leg ~15 mile course and land safely in a designated spot.  As I recall, for that flight, all the payload was taken up with extra batteries, but one could easily find a compromise.  Throw in a good tailwind and lighter batteries, and there's no telling what you could manage.