Author Topic: Hipsters in the Midwest need a place to live, too  (Read 5061 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Hipsters in the Midwest need a place to live, too
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-16/micro-apartments-are-coming-to-the-midwest

And I thought this was mainly a Seattle thing. Des Moines and Kalamazoo?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Hipsters in the Midwest need a place to live, too
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »

$850 for 450 sqr ft sounds a bit high, but I'm not familiar with the local renting costs.

Sounds good for folks who work in a city, but have a home outside a city. Stay during the week, go home Friday through Monday morning. I'd do the same thing for a gig in Philly, Baltimore, DC or NYC.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:35:19 AM »
 :O

$850/month?!  That's a mortgage payment on a full sized house, complete with taxes and insurance.  People are spending that kind of money to rent a shoebox?  In Des Moines?

Not everyone loves it. The ULI study collected completed surveys from 110 micro-apartment renters, finding that they were less likely than traditional renters to be satisfied with the value they got for their money.
Ya think?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
So I live 35 miles from downtown Des Moines, IA.

Downtown has gone through a major revitalization in the last decade, it has become a popular place for younger folks to live and work. The whole downtown is walk and bike friendly, has some killer restaurants and entertainment venues. Hell I find my self down there several times a year for fun. There are a lot of employers of young people in downtown, financial and insurance businesses. Also is the center of the state government. Living downtown means you don't have to drive anywhere to get around downtown.

Where I live (Ames, IA) apartments rent for about $450 a bedroom for multi bedroom and single bedrooms are $500-800 a month depending upon location to the university and age of the building.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »

$850/month?!  That's a mortgage payment on a full sized house, complete with taxes and insurance.  People are spending that kind of money to rent a shoebox?  In Des Moines?
Ya think?

$850 a month in Des Moines gets you a neighborhood where your *expletive deleted*it gets stolen or a house in a better neighborhood that needs $60-100k in upgrades/repairs, or gets flooded every few years.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
I lived in an efficiency apartment like that years ago when I was interning in Houston.  It wasn't too bad, but the small size gets to you after a while.  You HAVE to get outside a good bit.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Before we were married and started shacking up together, my wife lived in a hipster/affluent college student apartment block built to appeal to this sort.

Twelve years ago she paid $750/mo for 450sqft and parking garage parking.

$850 for 450 sqr ft sounds a bit high, but I'm not familiar with the local renting costs.

Sounds good for folks who work in a city, but have a home outside a city. Stay during the week, go home Friday through Monday morning. I'd do the same thing for a gig in Philly, Baltimore, DC or NYC.

Screw that noise.  Full sized pickup with a camper shell, 12v deep cycle battery, and solar charger (for fan in summer, heater in winter).  Personal hygiene at work gym or off-site gym.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
$850 a month in Des Moines gets you a neighborhood where your *expletive deleted*it gets stolen or a house in a better neighborhood that needs $60-100k in upgrades/repairs, or gets flooded every few years.
You can't get a decent house in Des Moines for $150 or $200k?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19:40 AM »
Screw that noise.  Full sized pickup with a camper shell, 12v deep cycle battery, and solar charger (for fan in summer, heater in winter).  Personal hygiene at work gym or off-site gym.
Must be one of those places that has no summer.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »
You can't get a decent house in Des Moines for $150 or $200k?

Yes, but with property taxes and insurance you are closer to $1000 monthly payment.

That is with 20% down payment.

$150k usually means the house needs work or you are in a townhouse/condo, or you are going to commute a long ways.

I've been looking at houses in Des Moines because I may work there next. If I end up working downtown, I'm going to trying to find a residence within a 30 minute bike ride in.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
Must be one of those places that has no summer.

No kidding, you'd roast in the sweat box for 3-4 months out the year here, fan or no fan. Need AC or you're a well done roast beef.

Plus all the heat from the concrete around you. No thank you.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
Yes, but with property taxes and insurance you are closer to $1000 monthly payment.

That is with 20% down payment.

$150k usually means the house needs work or you are in a townhouse/condo, or you are going to commute a long ways.

I've been looking at houses in Des Moines because I may work there next. If I end up working downtown, I'm going to trying to find a residence within a 30 minute bike ride in.
How bad are your property taxes out that way?

Some quick Googling says that median house prices are something like $110.  So even at "only" $150 you could afford to be choosy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
How bad are your property taxes out that way?

Some quick Googling says that median house prices are something like $110.  So even at "only" $150 you could afford to be choosy.

...because there are a lot of sub 75k housing in parts of town you don't want to live for various reasons, or the house needs a lot of work, a lot of work.

Property taxes vary depending upon the school district/suburb, but usually a $150k house is going to be $3500 in annual property taxes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »

For $300-500, it'd be a good deal. At $850 plus, meh... It obviously fills a niche, but I suspect it grows old quick.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »

Property taxes vary depending upon the school district/suburb, but usually a $150k house is going to be $3500 in annual property taxes.

Holy crap. Do they send you a jar of Vaseline with your tax statement?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
Holy crap. Do they send you a jar of Vaseline with your tax statement?

About average for states that derive income from property rather than income taxes.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:25:25 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »
...because there are a lot of sub 75k housing in parts of town you don't want to live for various reasons, or the house needs a lot of work, a lot of work.

So, basically, just don't live in Des Moines.  Got it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
Before we were married and started shacking up together, my wife lived in a hipster/affluent college student apartment block built to appeal to this sort.

Twelve years ago she paid $750/mo for 450sqft and parking garage parking.

For a good bit less than $850 a month you can get a decent travel trailer with AC.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »
So, basically, just don't live in Des Moines.  Got it.

I've got family in Des Moines. I need to get up there and visit my aunt, she's the last of brood, one of my cousins owns a big steakhouse just outside of Des Moines. I just can't remember the name of the town or the restaurant.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
Ms. MillCreek 2.0 was born and raised in Urbandale, Iowa.  I went back there a couple of times when we were arranging a skilled nursing facility for her mother.  I liked Des Moines, and I was able to do the RAGBRAI bicycle ride one year, which convinced me that Iowa is a great place to ride bicycles.  Not nearly the hills that we have here in Western Washington.  I thought that the housing prices in the Des Moines region were dirt, dirt cheap compared to Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »
I've got family in Des Moines. I need to get up there and visit my aunt, she's the last of brood, one of my cousins owns a big steakhouse just outside of Des Moines. I just can't remember the name of the town or the restaurant.

Rube's?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
  I thought that the housing prices in the Des Moines region were dirt, dirt cheap compared to Seattle.

They are but you also don't make the same salaries.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »

$850/month?!  That's a mortgage payment on a full sized house, complete with taxes and insurance.  People are spending that kind of money to rent a shoebox?  In Des Moines?
Ya think?

:rofl: :rofl:

$850/month just about covers my mortgage/taxes/ins on a small ranch house with an attached 2 car garage and a barn on an acre and a half of land 20 minutes away from where I work. Of course there aren't any hipsters for miles, not that that is a downside...
It'd be enough to buy a block of houses in the inner city, but nowhere near enough to cover the cost of an apartment.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
For a good bit less than $850 a month you can get a decent travel trailer with AC.

Isn't that even less square footage?  

I know it's alien to most of us here, but here's the way I look at it:
1.  Remember, different strokes for different folks.
2.  Jettison the car.  Between student IDs providing free bus rides, work benefits, walking, biking, etc...  Not having one will save you ~$300/month.  Not really an option if you live out where affordable houses in safe neighborhoods are
3.  The apartment is small, but apparently the complex provides a lot of services.  It's only an elevator ride to the gym, for example.  
4.  This is the internet generation - and Amazon delivers everything they need.  Rather than having a large TV, they watch things on a laptop or tablet.  Less need to *store* stuff.  Hell, move me somewhere where I don't need my truck, get rid of everything I use once a blue moon, and I could almost fit into one of these.
5.  Time is money.  You can justify a half hour walk or bike ride as exercise.  On the other hand, if you're an individual focused on going to things, being downtown makes reaching stuff quick and easy.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
Between cost of living, taxes, traffic, and other concerns, we decided not to move to redmond, despite the "redmond" bonus that gets added to the base pay.

We'd make more money, but have less available. For example, if you want something under 300k and work in Redmond, you gotta move an hour away from your work. A condo right near microsoft is in the high 400s

Here, I can find nice houses in the low 200s that are about 20-25 min away. I can get a townhouse in the mid 300s that is 2.5 miles from work (though i won't)

300-350k up to an hour away? Big house. Real nice.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog