Author Topic: Cool Night Lights  (Read 2338 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Cool Night Lights
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
SWMBO found this and we are going to deploy them through out the house.

From their FAQ: The Guidelight is around 3 lumens, which is similar to the nightlights on the market today.

https://www.snappower.com/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Cool Night Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »
I like those, now if I can get my SWMBO to buy off on them which make take some doing because they aren't "cute"  ;/

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Those are pretty slick.  I've got night lights built into the GFI outlets I installed in the bathrooms and kitchen that I thought were pretty neat, but those units are even cooler.
Kind of pricey, though, at $15 a pop.  They knock a little off for three packs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
Let me know how you like it, that's a great idea.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
Wow. That really is a great idea. I have one place where I'd really use one of those, in my master bath. I've only got one outlet in there, and it's a pain pulling the nighlight when I need to plug something in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Also according to their FAQ, the LEDs are rated for 25 years.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »
Wow. That really is a great idea. I have one place where I'd really use one of those, in my master bath. I've only got one outlet in there, and it's a pain pulling the nighlight when I need to plug something in.

I was thinking the same thing.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
The only problem with the bathroom idea is that according to their FAQ, it doesn't work with a GFCI outlet.  If you had a GFCI breaker and a regular outlet it would work.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
It would be nice the unit had a battery backup to stay lit if when the power goes out.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Re: Cool Night Lights
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
The only problem with the bathroom idea is that according to their FAQ, it doesn't work with a GFCI outlet.  If you had a GFCI breaker and a regular outlet it would work.
That's what I have. Regular outlets protected at the box.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

Meh; what I'd prefer in the bathroom is an overhead fixture with a small night light; just enough to pee by without being blinded.  That way it can light the whole room enough to not step on the cat or trip over the hair dryer cord.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Meh; what I'd prefer in the bathroom is an overhead fixture with a small night light; just enough to pee by without being blinded.  That way it can light the whole room enough to not step on the cat or trip over the hair dryer cord.

What the hack are you doing in MY master bathroom?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
I have two sets of lights in my bathrooms - the 6 bulb over the mirror 'wakey wakey' brightness, or the light in the fan fixture which is much, much dimmer.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
What the hack are you doing in MY master bathroom?

Stepping on your cat. While peeing in random directions waiting to hear the splash.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »

Ooohhh. there's the Lord of the Manor again, wot with his fancy electrig light hanging from a ceiling, thinks 'es better than us because we have to light with farty cows, and everybob knows you can't hang those those from the ceiling... iffin we even 'ad ceilings...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
Just realized that these won't work for me in my bathroom...

The only outlet I have is a 3-gang box with the outlet, the switch for the lights, and the switch for the ceiling fan.

Oh well.

Would have to go with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Seymour-NTL885TRICC6-Duplex-Outlet/dp/B00IOXD68I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1437485502&sr=8-12&keywords=nightlight+outlet

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
Ooohhh. there's the Lord of the Manor again, wot with his fancy electrig light hanging from a ceiling, thinks 'es better than us because we have to light with farty cows, and everybob knows you can't hang those those from the ceiling... iffin we even 'ad ceilings...

Make a ceiling out of the cows.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Make a ceiling out of the cows.

Udderly ridiculous...

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »

How willing are you to hack?

I'm thinking of epoxying an LED to a cover that's connected to the 120V source via pigtails and a disconnector. 

You wouldn't get something that would shut off when the lights are on, but even then the power use would be minimal.

edit:  If they wired your ceiling fan & light up such that it gets continuous power, might even consider putting it up there.  I could send you a 12V LED console light, you hook up a 5V USB charger or something to it, permanently wired.  At only 5V, it would be 'really' dim, but with night vision should be enough to hit the pot. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
Not.

Its not a big deal at all.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
"If they wired your ceiling fan & light up such that it gets continuous power, might even consider putting it up there."

I installed the ceiling fan/light combo, and I made damned sure that it was done properly, with the switch interrupting the hot side, not the neutral side.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »

The only outlet I have is a 3-gang box with the outlet, the switch for the lights, and the switch for the ceiling fan.

Oh well.

Would have to go with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Seymour-NTL885TRICC6-Duplex-Outlet/dp/B00IOXD68I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1437485502&sr=8-12&keywords=nightlight+outlet

Mike, thank you for that find, that will work for my bathrooms.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
I've looked at those in the past, but I've not made the jump because I didn't feel like digging into the box to put in a Decora-style outlet and wallplate.

However, that's become less of a consideration because over the last few months the mechanical timer for the ceiling fan has been failing to turn off automatically, so I'm considering going with an electronic timer, which has a Decora footprint, so I might as well change the outlet and the light switch to Decora at the same time.

And if I'm doing that, I might as well put in the outlet with the nightlight.

Great... I just went from a simple switchplate nightlight for about $15 to a whole new electrical set up in the bathroom for about $50.

sigh.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
However, that's become less of a consideration because over the last few months the mechanical timer for the ceiling fan has been failing to turn off automatically,

When I was a kid, we had to flip the switch to turn the damn fan off.  This generation's getting soft.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
I'm older than you, punk.

GED'OFFA'DA'LAWN!