Author Topic: Never let a crisis go to waste  (Read 703 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Never let a crisis go to waste
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
California had a bridge collapse due to flooding in a desert wash -- which is where water is the destert always goes. Washes are known to be hazardous in rain storms. The bridge that collapsed was built in 1967, so it was 48 years old, and had been classified as functionally obsolete. But ...

... It collapsed because of (here it comes) ... GLOBAL WARMING!

Nine inspectors fanned out Throughout the day Monday, nine state inspectors fanned out to check all 44 bridges along a 20-mile stretch of I-10 after a second bridge showed signs of damage following the storm Sunday, according to Caltrans. They also planned to inspect bridges across the large swath of Southern California where the remnants of a tropical storm dumped unusual July deluges, the AP reported.

"This is a fascinating situation on so many levels. Against a backdrop of climate change, with the global atmosphere setting heat records month after month, we have an El Niño warming the waters of the tropical eastern Pacific. On top of that, the waters off the U.S. West Coast are also far warmer than average, and we have a tropical storm moving farther north and closer to the Mexican coast than most others in the historical record this early in the season," said weather.com senior meteorologist Nick Wiltgen.

http://www.weather.com/news/news/california-southwest-severe-weather-impacts
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Never let a crisis go to waste
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
That ain't nothin'. I can't find the article anymore, but the EPA Administrator said today that health insurance premiums are rising due to climate change. You can't make this stuff up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
I just wish I would have the time to chase albacore on my kayak.  Some folks think this El Nino might bring them within 5-10 miles of the Oregon coast.  That would such a rush to hook into an albacore in my kayak.  They're only 15-30lbs (average 20-22lbs) when they're off the PNW coast, but they fight harder than a salmon twice their size.  Hopefully by the next time we get an El Nino strong enough for that I'll be in a position to chase those tuna.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »
I just wish I would have the time to chase albacore on my kayak.  Some folks think this El Nino might bring them within 5-10 miles of the Oregon coast.  That would such a rush to hook into an albacore in my kayak.  They're only 15-30lbs (average 20-22lbs) when they're off the PNW coast, but they fight harder than a salmon twice their size.  Hopefully by the next time we get an El Nino strong enough for that I'll be in a position to chase those tuna.

I'm hoping we can at least get some bass swimming down my street.  Go Al Gore!