Author Topic: Someone Worth praying for in the Afican Mess  (Read 676 times)

BillBlank

• friend
Someone Worth praying for in the Afican Mess
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:32:25 PM »
Inspired by Stand_waties post,

There is only one solution I have encountered that seems effective. Those of you that have encountered my steaming Knee jerk bigotry in respect of organised religion may be surprised by this.

http://www.freewebs.com/jamesanddawn

This fellow has packed himself and his family off to darkest africa to do some missionary work. He was a teacher at the school my wife and I work at. Very funny, charming, smart chap and so full of a love for his fellow man and god that he felt the need to make a difference. I respect him more than anyone I've encountered in my short life. He is a proper christian and would, I'm sure, appreciate any prayers or help that you can send their way. Just tell him I said Hi should you do so. In particular the 4x4 that argued with the local wildlife could do with some prayers.

If any of you are involved with your local churches please feel free to pass this URL around. James and Dawn are the real thing and need all the help they can get. I have vague recollections of warning him that I'd get some christian gun owners off the web to pray for him and it would bring a glow to my little heart to have James and his family know that there a few more people out there praying for him. Even if it's just dropping an Email in their direction.

Thank you for your time

Bill
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

BillBlank

• friend
Re: Someone Worth praying for in the Afican Mess
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »
Forgot to mention that he leaves on the 18th of this month. After that date he'll only be picking up emails once a month or so.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »
Email and Prayers sent.

Is he going back to Kenya, or elswhere in Africa? My brother's close friend is involved with a Malawi Mission, and if he's getting by thataway I'm sure they'd love to have him stop in.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BillBlank

• friend
Re: Someone Worth praying for in the African Mess
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:07:48 PM »
Thank you kindly Stand.

James is so nice I just want him and his family to feel as supported as possible. I dislike some of the charity that has been handed out in africa but what he's doing is not charity, more being a good neighbour. James embodies that ideal of a person of strong faith that doesn't do things because they'll look good but because his actions will make a difference. They are the right thing to do. I'm skint but I've told him that if he needs bit's and bobs, you know, generator parts, water pumps etc. then I'll stick it on the plastic. Silly sod probably won't ask though so I may have to send him a big christmas present.

They are going back to kenya, they have bought land so it's a long term commitment.

If I had his permission I'd post his email describing his first few weeks out there. He's a funny bugger. You wouldn't think malaria would be funny but as monty python sing, you have to look on the bright side of life.

Gotta go, family round. Thanks again stand.

Bill

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
I'd love to read it, if he is willing, Bill.

I was quite keen to contact him because my missionary-friend-induced stereotype is that Africans in general, and Christian Africans in particular, are known for being very hospitable, and I thought that the interchange between various missions would be good for all involved. He responded right off the bat, and said he'd contact me if he gets down that away.

I dislike some of the charity that has been handed out in africa but what he's doing is not charity, more being a good neighbour. James embodies that ideal of a person of strong faith that doesn't do things because they'll look good but because his actions will make a difference.

Let me respond to this from the secular perspective - as a fellow who's not a fan of organized religion (in and of itself), you might like to see it put this way. Your friend, my friend, and I'm sure many irreligious people, or religious people who don't consider themselves religious really do the work of (from my perspective) G-d or, from your perspective (perhaps?, I don't know you that well)  advancing human decency and kindness at the basest level. Meeting base human needs as missionaries. Advancing ideals of human rights that are surprisingly common to American, British, Australian, and Canadian judeo-christians, agnostics and atheists.

Sending dictators multi-million dollar "food" aid packages may well hurt africa. Sending individuals to help teach how to sanitize water, how to treat infected wounds, how to build houses, and how to organize communities can only help africa, I believe.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"