Author Topic: Gimmicky products that work  (Read 4256 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Gimmicky products that work
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
What snake oil -esque and "as seen on TV" products have you purchased and actually work as advertised?

For me recently it was a "thundershirt"  http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CKmK9P-O_sYCFUuTfgodjyQBoQ

Maddie the GWP was having some major fear issues with storms.  I was VERY skeptical, but bought one and it works.  Calms her down enough to stop being a danger to herself.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Gimmicky products that work
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »
Oxyclean does a decent job.

Just don't let it sit on the fabric for more than an hour or so. I made the mistake of thinking I could let it sit for close to a week like I have done with Shout.

Ate right through the cotton, front and back.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
Magic Eraser works really well...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
Oxyclean does a decent job.

How do you keep it on the dog through a long storm?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
How do you keep it on the dog through a long storm?

I don't have a dog.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »
I don't have a dog.

Depriving a dog of companionship just so you won't have to wash its Thundershirt is selfish.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Only thing that ever impressed me I bought through a store, despite the "Not available in stores" meme.

Dry, cracked heel balm.

Worked good, then disappeared.

I strongly suspect that a lot of these things are fly-by night operations.  They say good things, Peggy Bundys all over the country buy them, then they fly into the night.

Every once in a while I see something that actually does look good and practical, like the dog/storm huggy thing.  Seems to make sense, but they don't block the causative agent, the noise.

A lot of critters are very sensitive to noise.  There's a breed of lab rats which go into audiogenic seizures when you even rattle a bunch of keys near them.

Women seem to be more sensitive to concussive noises like gunfire and Independence Day fireworks than men --in my observation, and generally, not specifically.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »
There's a breed of lab rats which go into audiogenic seizures when you even rattle a bunch of keys near them.

Can they interbreed with regular roof rats?  This could make pest control a heck of a lot easier.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
The younger APS members may not remember it, but they used to sell a gizmo called a Veg-O-Matic. (I think they still do.) For many years when I was a kid, my mother used one to cut potatoes to make homemade French fries. Worked like a champ for that.

Though it wasn't "as sold on TV" one relatively cheap product that really works is the LULA loader/unloader for AR15 magazines - seriously, it's a wonder that something that's so cheap (I paid under 20 bucks for mine) works so well.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »
Perfect Pushup, twenty ducats. Sounds gimmicky, but works really well. I've been using them for years. The twisting seems to work some upper arm and forearm muscles that regular pushups don't activate.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
230RN, there is no seem to be about it. Woman have different reaction to sound than men and are typically more sensitive to noise.
It's presumed to be related to the needs of motherhood.

Just FYI, Bed, Bath and Beyond typically has a whole section devoted to "as seen on TV"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
The younger APS members may not remember it, but they used to sell a gizmo called a Veg-O-Matic. (I think they still do.) For many years when I was a kid, my mother used one to cut potatoes to make homemade French fries. Worked like a champ for that.

Though it wasn't "as sold on TV" one relatively cheap product that really works is the LULA loader/unloader for AR15 magazines - seriously, it's a wonder that something that's so cheap (I paid under 20 bucks for mine) works so well.

I just load them into GI stripper clips and use the stripper loader.  Virtually no effort on both, same or less manipulations, and also makes ammo storage/inventory much easier.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »
I just load them into GI stripper clips and use the stripper loader.  Virtually no effort on both, same or less manipulations, and also makes ammo storage/inventory much easier.

Having done both - a lot - I'm sticking with the Lula loader.  It is notably easier, a little slower.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »
Having done both - a lot - I'm sticking with the Lula loader.  It is notably easier, a little slower.

I will have to get one and compare...I have a few thousand rounds that need to go into mags.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:27 PM »
I will have to get one and compare...I have a few thousand rounds that need to go into mags.

Now there's a first world problem if I ever saw one. :D

I guess if I dug out all my AR mags I could load over 3K, but I'm keeping new ones as trade goods. Nor do I have 3K rounds of .223 because I am too sorry to reload right now. :(
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04:32 PM »
Now there's a first world problem if I ever saw one. :D

I guess if I dug out all my AR mags I could load over 3K, but I'm keeping new ones as trade goods. Nor do I have 3K rounds of .223 because I am too sorry to reload right now. :(

Yeah...apparently when I'm working really hard, i impulse shop and forget...when organizing this spring, I found like 30-40 unopened magpul mags (to add to the...lets just say N others) in a random box...and that was the least weird thing I found.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:57:28 PM »
The 'Ove Glove' is actually a pretty solid oven mitt.  I like that one.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:52 AM »
The expandable hose is pretty decent if used in a fairly light duty environment, I got one to keep on the boat and it does what I need without the bulk of a traditonal 50' hose.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:58:52 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »
The e,pandit hose is pretty decent if used in a fairly light duty environment, I got one to keep on the boat and it does what I need without the bulk of a traditonal 50' hose.
Very sensitive to sunlight, however. Don't leave it out.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 02:45:37 AM »
One thing that looked good, no gimmicks, no outrageous claims, was that dealie that hooks into your car door jamb latch to help getting in and out of the car.

But they quit advertising it.  Toying with the idea of getting a substantial L-bracket from the hardware store and trying that out.  Will wrap 1/2 of it real good with duct tape for the handle part.

Terry

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Gimmicky products that work
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »
One thing that looked good, no gimmicks, no outrageous claims, was that dealie that hooks into your car door jamb latch to help getting in and out of the car.

But they quit advertising it.  Toying with the idea of getting a substantial L-bracket from the hardware store and trying that out.  Will wrap 1/2 of it real good with duct tape for the handle part.

Terry

Probably went away because of side impact air bags.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
I saw that car door thingy advertised a few weeks ago.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
"Probably went away because of side impact air bags."

I don't get that.  It slips into the hasp on the door jamb, not the door itself. You slip it in, you use it to get in or out of the car, you slip it out, that's it.  I don't see why the air bags should cause any problem, but I don't have them in my '97 car anyhow, just the dash and steering wheel bags, so maybe I'm missing something.
???
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:14:57 PM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »

Terry

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HandyBar/15751848

This thing?

Also available here: http://www.amazon.com/Stander-HandyBar-Automotive-Standing-Emergency/dp/B000GUKKMW
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought