Author Topic: insurance  (Read 1750 times)

zahc

• friend
insurance
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
I need to reevaluate my insurances to see if I can drop some monthly bills. I need 2 cars, 1 house, and 1 yours truly unsured (term life). It's a lot of work though. I'm not sure whether to trust the online only companies.

I have allstate now, and they say I get a  discount for having house and car through them, but I am not convinced I couldn't still get a better deal by combining different companies. Is it a given that you have to use all the same company to get the best deal?

I don't qualify for  military anything.

Has anyone recently done this so I can just steal your findings?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
Re: insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
I've been with AAA in DFW for the last 5 odd years. I pay about 1K/yr for comprehensive auto and renter's with a 26k coverage. 1 claim which was handled very much to my satisfaction.

My parents are looking to switch from State Farm. I'll ask my mom where her search is leading.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »
I'd suggest talking with the other insurance agents.  Bring in all your information, see if you can get a better deal.

Call your agent as well, mention that you're looking around, and they might be able to 'find' more discounts.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
In my experience Allstate is one of the most expensive companies out there.  That's why I left them many years ago.
You might be able save a fair chunk of change just by moving to another company.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
I have allstate now, and they say I get a  discount for having house and car through them, but I am not convinced I couldn't still get a better deal by combining different companies. Is it a given that you have to use all the same company to get the best deal?

Most companies will give you an additional discount for having more than one policy through them.   (Usually Homeowners and Car), Life insurance; go with what works for you.  I know most people like term, but most people find they still need life insurance longer then what they thought, which is why I recommend whole life, simply because at some point the dividend pay the premium, and you have an emergency source of funds to tap into..
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
Check out Erie.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Multi-policy discounts are real.  Some companies use your credit score to give you discounts.  Before you cancel a life insurance policy, make sure the new policy gets issued with a preferred rate.  Non smokers pay less.  Depending how on how old you are you can get a good price on a blended life policy.  A base of some Whole Life/Paid Up Life (stable premium for life, builds cash value and some pay dividends as well or can be paid up at some point)  You can add a rider to that for a bunch of term insurance that the premiums will stay stable for certain periods of time, or the premiums for that portion will rise yearly, or the face amount of the policy will decrease as you age with a stable premium)  At some point when you are old you'll still have the whole life or paid life base to bury you when you croak or you cash it in yourself.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06:40 PM »
grampster, would you recommend using an independent insurance agent to review all your coverage?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »
I'd suggest staying away from AMFAM.
They keep raising my rates on car/motorcycle insurance and can't articulate a reason why, other than my credit rating dropped somewhat after I bought a house (I have the house insured by them as well) (credit report searches, plus more debt), yet they keep pushing an umbrella policy.
Me"so If I buy this $1 million umbrella policy, I can drop my liability coverage on all of my vehicles right?
Agent "no, you have to buy our minimum liability coverage on each vehicle in order to keep your gold star rating."
Agent "we can take $10 off one of your motorcycles for multiple motorcycle discount"
Me " Well no *expletive deleted*it, I can only ride one at a time, not to mention my car."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
Allstate = RUN! Run away NOW! We have been using State Farm for a good while now and are pretty happy with them. Rates aren't bad and service has been good.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
grampster, would you recommend using an independent insurance agent to review all your coverage?

For a review?  Definitely yes!

Just remember that there are a decreasing number of those out there, as opposed to brokers who handle a select number of providers.

I just switched my auto insurance because the independent agent who I went to for a review found me a policy that would not penalize me for collision coverage in excess of the car's Blue Book value and for "excessive" rental coverage.  (My mobility scooter and lift are in the back of the skidmobile.  Damage to the lift gate could mean either not being able to access the scooter or having to replace the vehicle, the scooter, and the lift.  The scooter and lift are close to $10K alone, and medical transport runs between $25 and $awholelot depending on how far I'm going and how critical a return ride showing up on time is.  My scooter company says they can arrange a rental from out of existing dealer stock for $65/day.)

With the "excess coverage" in multiple areas the agent found me a policy that, when both a multiple policy and AAA membership discount (already have renters insurance through them) were applied came out to just over 50% less than what I was paying for my previous policy.  Even the AAA auto insurance guy I talked to afterwards admitted that he would not have thought of putting together the policy the way the independent agent did.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
I've been with State Farm for years and have been happy with them, only had to use it once when a nitwit rear ended me at a stop light and the process was easy and well conducted with no BS or hijinks. Actually most of my family, excluding searching out the cheapist state minimum option available that'll insure anyone in the world, have been with State Farm for a long time.

I had Allstate for a little while. To put it mildly, they sucked. Their rate, aside from minimum coverage where they were actually the cheapest, sucked. All their local agents sucked. After they jumped my rate substantially for no reason at all I switched. For some ungodly reason I went with the lizard folks, whose rate was much better than Allstate. Switched to State Farm after them for more savings and much better CS.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »
Friend of mine had State Farm, as did a number of people in his community when he got hit by a BAD hail storm. Destroyed his roof, took out windows and siding on the one side of the house and beat their one car to hell and back.

His neighbors got taken care of pretty quickly, no muss, no fuss. Herb, on the other hand, got mercilessly screwed around with. The difference was apparently that he had a different agent from the others in his community. SF kept lowballing him on repairs -- the estimate's for $22,000? Here's a settlement check for $5,000. Take it or sod off.

He finally had to escalate the living hell out of it, get an attorney involved, whole 9 yards, a process that took nearly 5 months. He immediately dropped State Farm and picked up another company, and apparently at a significant savings over what he had been paying pre storm.

When I went looking for insurance for my first car, I was 24. Most of the companies wouldn't even talk to me because I was "high risk," being 24 and a dude. One told me they would write me, but only at Pennsylvania critical risk driver rates, about $3,500 a year  :O (and I was making $11,500 at the time...).

I checked with the State Farm agency that had been writing most of my family, including my grandparents and parents, since the 1940s. They were a bit better at $2,600.

Then I called Erie. Their definition of high risk driver ends when you turn 24, not 25, so my total bill for car insurance through them was about $400 a year. Been with Erie ever since. When I moved to DC I added renter's insurance, and then homeowner's insurance. From 1989 to now, no at fault accidents, and only one fairly minor claim against the homeowner's insurance.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Many years ago a co-workers wife was in an auto accident.  Not her fault, received life threatening injuries, as did one of their kids.
Driver at fault was uninsured or under-insured, don't remember exactly after so many years.  They had coverage for under/uninsured drivers with State Farm, but they refused to pay off and jerked him around mercilessly.  Many lawyer hours later, finally got satisfaction from SF, but only after he was brought to near financial ruin.
Because of that I have never considered State Farm for coverage of any kind.

Back in the early '90s I got nailed to the tune of about $3000 by the Prudential Insurance scandal where agents were pocketing premiums paid by life insurance customers.  IIRC, I received a settlement check for a couple of bucks and was offered discounts on more coverage.
I won't touch anything with the Prudential name.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
I had a bad state farm experience as well. Had to lawyer up to make em do what they shoulda done 12 months earlier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
So if I want to switch term life policies, can I justify cancel the one I have at any time?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine