Author Topic: Lawyer seeks trial by combat to resolve lawsuit  (Read 2622 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Lawyer seeks trial by combat to resolve lawsuit
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »
http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2015/08/real-life_game_of_thrones_layw.html

A Staten Island lawyer with a penchant for bowties and closely-cut beards is apparently channeling his inner "Games of Thrones" by asking a judge to sanction a trial by combat to resolve a civil suit in which he's accused of helping a client commit fraud.
Interesting.  I wonder if his strategy is to win the lawsuit by making the judge die of laughter. 

Luthmann may be sticking his neck out professionally, as well.

He acknowledged the judge could take a dim view of his request, when a reporter asked him that question.

But he insists there's a bigger Constitutional issue here: Exactly what rights are protected under the Ninth Amendment?

The amendment protects all the rights of the people not mentioned specifically elsewhere in the Constitution. In this case, it's trial by combat, says Luthmann.

"The judge may look askance at it, but I'm prepared to take it to the highest level," Luthmann said. "I'd love to have a court determine whether we have those rights under the Constitution."
=D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Lawyer seeks trial by combat to resolve lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »
He's thinking Beyond This Horizon.

The trouble with trial by combat, the Code Duello, and mutual combat, is that sheer might makes right more often than mere Providential Justice does.

("Might" encompasses weaponry and skill therewith, not just exclusively muscle mass.  Muscle mass was king until the first caveman picked up a rock as a weapon.)

Liked that bow tie.  Some of my best friends wore bow ties.

Terry

REF FWIW:
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
 — From Robert Heinlein’s Beyond This Horizon (1942).

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
It could get interesting.

Luthmann may be sticking his neck out professionally, as well.

Professionally, to be sure. But, despite the fact that he appears to be an extra-large size individual, I note that he's making provision to stack the deck -- as well as to have it stacked against him.

"As such, the undersigned (Luthmann) respectfully requests that the court permit the undersigned to dispatch plaintiffs and their counsel to the Divine Providence of the Maker for Him to exact His divine judgment once the undersigned has released the souls of the plaintiffs and their counsel from their corporeal bodies, personally and or by way of a champion."

How did this "champion" bit work in days of olde when knights were bold? Was it only the [allegedly] aggrieved party who got to choose a champion, or could both parties choose stand-ins? Bring on the Vince McMahon steroid popper circus. Hulk Hogan v. The Undertaker, perhaps?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
I thought there might be an interesting binding arbitration type out... Nope, Fight to the Death.

I wonder if he is going for a mental illness out for the inevitable referral to the state bar for his licensing challenge. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »
Look! It's James Yeager's lawyer!

Also, all this guy is missing is a fedora and a Mosin.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
Any gentleman here will lend you a sword  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »
I'd pay good money to watch that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
Dueling is defiantly one of those masculain activities that makes all woman go "men are stupid"

Yeah, so, killing each other in an organized fight to resolve an argument that has nothing to do with your physical prowess is not actually resolving an argument.

Dueling is stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Dueling is defiantly one of those masculain activities that makes all woman go "men are stupid"

Yeah, so, killing each other in an organized fight to resolve an argument that has nothing to do with your physical prowess is not actually resolving an argument.

Dueling is stupid.

So is war, which amounts to the same thing.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
I'm wondering if some of his statements could be construed as either death threats or terrorism, or both.
As such, the undersigned (Luthmann) respectfully requests that the court permit the undersigned to dispatch plaintiffs and their counsel to the Divine Providence of the Maker for Him to exact His divine judgment once the undersigned has released the souls of the plaintiffs and their counsel from their corporeal bodies, personally and or by way of a champion.

Well, it strikes me that if it's an unenumerated right, as he suggests, then he shouldn't have to petition the court for permission.

Yikes!

:D  [popcorn]  

But I understand that unenumerated rights are left to the States, or to the People, and I would guess that most individual States have prohibited mutual combat, no?

Terry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:17:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
I'm wondering if some of his statements could be construed as either death threats or terrorism, or both.

Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »

How did this "champion" bit work in days of olde when knights were bold? Was it only the [allegedly] aggrieved party who got to choose a champion, or could both parties choose stand-ins? Bring on the Vince McMahon steroid popper circus. Hulk Hogan v. The Undertaker, perhaps?

Champions were permitted when a party (usually the aggrieved) was demonstrably weaker or otherwise inferior to the challenger.

http://www.marylutyndall.com/2012/05/code-duello-rules-of-dueling.html and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/rulesofdueling.html

Seconds were occasionally allowed to stand in for their principal:
Rule 14. Seconds to be of equal rank in society with the principals they attend, inasmuch as a second may either choose or chance to become a principal, and equality is indispensible.

But being as this is 'Murica we might want to go by 'Mericun rules: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6085/6085-h/6085-h.htm
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6085/pg6085.txt
some ZIP files @ http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6085/

Not so fast there!

Dueling is permitted only between gentlemen.  By definition lawyers, like actors, are not gentlemen.  Loaning your sword to a ruffian, poltroon, or rabble (to keep the list short) would bring shame and dishonor upon you - perhaps worse than reneging on a debt.

OTOH, you might offer the barrister your stick or a horsewhip with which to beat the defendant.  That would be allowed without causing an affront.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Dueling is permitted only between gentlemen.  By definition lawyers, like actors, are not gentlemen.  Loaning your sword to a ruffian, poltroon, or rabble (to keep the list short) would bring shame and dishonor upon you - perhaps worse than reneging on a debt.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat.

To my knowledge, no one has given either of us the insult of suggesting that we are gentlemen.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
So is war, which amounts to the same thing.

No, actually, it's not.

Duels are fought over determining right from wrong and to establish honor. The 'winner' of a duel gains no tangable benefits and the loser only looses his life or honor. The aggressor can be safely ignored or dealt with in a non violent manner.

Wars have more much more at stake, and the aggressor often cannot be ignored.

Edit to add: if the aggressor in a duel cannot safely be ignored, than there should not be a duel. You should take care of the threat on your life, immediately and without 'rules', not be playing around with stupid games.

Again, duels are stupid.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
The winners of wars have a pretty consistent record of saying what is "right" (resolving an argument).

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
The winners of wars have a pretty consistent record of saying what is "right" (resolving an argument).

Are you purposefully being dense?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »

Dueling is stupid.
You're   just jealous because when you  show up at   the cotillion in the same dress as another gal all you get to indulge in is a cat-fight!! >:D [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
You're   just jealous because when you  show up at   the cotillion in the same dress as another gal all you get to indulge in is a cat-fight!! >:D [popcorn] [tinfoil]

*snort* you underestimate my skills.

I subtly destroy the other girls dress in a way that I cannot be blamed for, and then I sympathetically assist her to the exit so she can go home.

This is how you properly destroy your enemies and, bonus, nobody dies or goes to jail.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
*snort* you underestimate my skills.

I subtly destroy the other girls dress in a way that I cannot be blamed for, and then I sympathetically assist her to the exit so she can go home.

This is how you properly destroy your enemies and, bonus, nobody dies or goes to jail.
The female  J. R. Ewing, eh? [tinfoil]......right.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »

Use of a s-what?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
Are you purposefully being dense?

He is your density
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 06:03:55 PM »
The female  J. R. Ewing, eh? [tinfoil]......right.

It's a good thing for you old farts that us youngens have access to Google so we can keep up with your pop culture references.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
He is your density

I'm just stuck in 1955  ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »

Well, what fun is that?