Author Topic: Snake!  (Read 4039 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Snake!
« on: August 08, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
SWMBO and Things 1+2 met some friends for mani/pedis and dinner, so, being without family or obligations for a few hours, I went for a long walk at the local wildlife management area I haunt frequently during hunting season.  After nearly 15 years of hunting there, this is the first time I've been out there during the Summer.  It was so green! :)

Anyway, on the way back to the parking lot, I saw this little feller (2' long Copperhead):

Bad closeup of his head (was trying to get a ground level shot with a zoom lens without annoying Mr Snake):

While I was snapping pics, a trail runner came barreling down the hill toward us.  I had to call out three times, actually standing up and giving him the "traffic cop" hand the final time before I got his attention.  Because the snake blended into the red clay so well, he was probably going to step right on him.  His response?  "Oh, thanks, I didn't see him there.  Thank you thank you thank you".  I'm thinking to myself, "ok, you didn't see the snake, but what about the full grown man with a large revolver squatting in the middle of the trail taking pictures of *something*, did you see him?".

Anyway, after a few glamor shots, I chased him off with a stick so Mr Oblivious and I could go our separate ways.

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Snake!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
I am impressed with the level of detail in the scales along the neck in that second shot.

I also think you're nuts to be shooting the copperhead with a camera instead of the revolver.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
Darwin foiled again  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »
I am impressed with the level of detail in the scales along the neck in that second shot.
The DOF was too shallow to bring the entire snake into focus properly.  I was paying attention to the snake and not to getting the technical details of photograph just right. :)

I also think you're nuts to be shooting the copperhead with a camera instead of the revolver.

Why?  He wasn't hurting anyone and wasn't aggressive.  I shooed him away so he could continue eating vermin.

Darwin foiled again  :facepalm:
Me or Mr Runner?  I never got close enough for him to reach me had he been so inclined.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »
Why?  He wasn't hurting anyone and wasn't aggressive.  I shooed him away so he could continue eating vermin.

I would have done the same thing. I have respect for venomous snakes, but I don't feel the need to kill them.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
Me or Mr Runner?  I never got close enough for him to reach me had he been so inclined.

Chris

The runner  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
The runner  >:D
in Chris's neck of the woods I doubt it would have been fatal. 
Lots of access to medical care.
Just would have been a serious lesson in "watch where you step dummy."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
"Why?  He wasn't hurting anyone and wasn't aggressive.  I shooed him away so he could continue eating vermin."

I thought he was talking about the runner.    :P:rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »
This was Thompson WMA (you've been up there with me), so it's not right in the DC Metro area, but there are still houses nearby and I'm sure there's a hospital within 15min-20min.  It's not the 'burbs, but it's not Tallpine-levels of isolation either.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
"Why?  He wasn't hurting anyone and wasn't aggressive.  I shooed him away so he could continue eating vermin."

I thought he was talking about the runner.    :P:rofl:

LMAO!  I can visualize that! :D

"shoo runner-boy, shoo!" <waves stick at gaunt runner as he heads off in search of field mice>

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:42:24 PM »
trail runner came barreling down the hill toward us.  I had to call out three times, actually standing up and giving him the "traffic cop" hand the final time before I got his attention.  Because the snake blended into the red clay so well, he was probably going to step right on him.  His response?  "Oh, thanks, I didn't see him there.  Thank you thank you thank you".  I'm thinking to myself, "ok, you didn't see the snake, but what about the full grown man with a large revolver squatting in the middle of the trail taking pictures of *something*, did you see him?".

Many of the trail runners I've encountered have been rather...odd...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »
in Chris's neck of the woods I doubt it would have been fatal. 
Lots of access to medical care.
Just would have been a serious lesson in "watch where you step dummy."

Sumdude got bit by a copperhead last year in my neck of the woods.  He lived, but he's ~ $80k poorer, and that's supposedly after what insurance picked up says the local rag.  Don't know how accurate the story was.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 01:37:55 AM »
*expletive deleted*it no. Too close. It's a snake. Let the jogger step on it and kill it.  [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »
I will (barely) tolerate non venomous snakes.

Venomous snakes that come within my safety bubble must die horrible horrible deaths IMMEDIATELY.

I do not like snakes. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I don't care about spiders, as long as they crawl elsewhere (and not on me. Those feet feel funny :P) and I think mice and rats are funny (I still kill them if they come in the house, but I tell them that they are cute first) but snakes are not to be trusted and bugs that fly and sting invokes some serious internal battle over flight (while screaming) or fight (also, while screaming)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »
He was out in the snakes home.
No reason to kill it.  None.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »
X200000!!!eleven!!twentytwo!!!!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
Venomous snakes are the coolest. And in my experiences copperheads are pretty shy to boot. I'm surprised he sat there and let you take his picture.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »

X200000!!!eleven!!twentytwo!!!!

You idiots do realize that I wouldn't actually get close enough to that damn thing to kill it and that I'd most likely run, screaming, from the area? Or scream for whoever I'm with to kill it (and they would probably laugh at me instead of killing the snake)

Furthermore, your holier than thou attitude on the subject makes me want to kick you both in the shins.
Jeez, it's almost as bad as the people who can't handle the dead cat jokes. ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
Venomous snakes are the coolest. And in my experiences copperheads are pretty shy to boot. I'm surprised he sat there and let you take his picture.

Most copperheads I have seen will try to move off and hide, but I have walked up on some curled up in the middle of the trail daring you to keep walking.  They are not always shy.  I figure it is my job to thin the herd of any that get too big for their britches.  There were lots of snakes where I grew up.  The copperheads seemed to be the most common land snakes to see.  I figure the others hunted more at night or hid better.

That is also why I liked carrying a walking stick in the woods.  It was useful for killing snakes or moving them off the trail depending on the situation.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »
...I liked carrying a walking stick in the woods.  It was useful for killing snakes or moving them off the trail depending on the situation.  

They're easier to move off the trail when they're dead  :laugh:

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
You idiots do realize that I wouldn't actually get close enough to that damn thing to kill it and that I'd most likely run, screaming, from the area? Or scream for whoever I'm with to kill it (and they would probably laugh at me instead of killing the snake)

Furthermore, your holier than thou attitude on the subject makes me want to kick you both in the shins.
Jeez, it's almost as bad as the people who can't handle the dead cat jokes. ;/

There is a *expletive deleted*it ton of people who would absolutely kill it just for being a snake.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
Thinking about it some more, when we were running around the woods as kids, I can't think of any other snake we simply came across on land more than the copperhead.  Maybe a coral snake once and a couple of water snakes/ cotton mouths, but lots of copperheads.  Maybe it was because copperheads were more numerous or more likely to move around in day time.  I know there were rat snakes and others out there, but we rarely ever saw them.  I figure they either holed up in day time or were more skittish and hid when we came around.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
There is a *expletive deleted*it ton of people who would absolutely kill it just for being a snake.
True.  We tried not to kill garter snakes and such, but we probably wouldn't pass up a rat snake, but we rarely saw them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »

I've watched people swerve their vehicles at snakes (to kill them) that are warming themselves in the morning along the road.

Keep killing them and they will get listed on the T&E species list, then you really are going to be hosed.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Snake!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 11:35:49 AM »
I've watched people swerve their vehicles at snakes (to kill them) that are warming themselves in the morning along the road.

Keep killing them and they will get listed on the T&E species list, then you really are going to be hosed.
Not likely to go on the list.  Too many of them and they adapt just fine. 

Any venomous snakes that come near our house campground or walking path has forfeited its life.  But i will not go out of my way to kill them.

Nonvenomous snakes are welcome to stay and hang out.  Eat all the vermin they like.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton