Author Topic: Huge explosion in Chinese port  (Read 12974 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Huge explosion in Chinese port
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »
How do you say "holy *expletive deleted*it" in Chinese?
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
Given their piss-poor attitude towards safety I'm surprised big things like this don't happen more often.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
Hory Clap!

Watch the video here http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/massive-explosion-reported-in-chinese-city-of-tianjin

More of the same + someone's cell phone video of getting shook up http://www.news3lv.com/content/news/story/Massive-explosion-injures-at-least-300-in-Tianjin/sHeTczxYzUGeVBrYcTdBTg.cspx

This says local gas station explosion plus 2 oil/ethanol tanks (NSFW comments) https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/3gr1bh/huge_explosion_reported_in_chinese_port_city_of/

They said no one is alive within 1 km of the explosion, the explosions happened in tanggu district which is close to residential area in developing.
The total population of Binhai is 2.5 millions and the population density in the area is expected 2000/kmsq, expected injuries/casualties will be around 7000~70000.
There were two explosions, the first one is equals to 3 tons of TNT and the second one is 21 tons.
Estimated by the Seismograph (ML 2.3/ ML 2.9)

Remind me that the closest I want to get to China is the place down the road that does fantastic Hunan and Shanghai take-out.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
How do you say "holy *expletive deleted*it" in Chinese?

easy

HORREEEE SHEEEET
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:18 PM »
Darn it China, do you have to treat US history like a check list?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:09:13 AM »
Official reports are 17 dead 400 wounded. I doubt it's that low.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:22 AM »
We'll never get the true numbers out of the Chinese, but it will be hard to minimize the overall severity.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:33 AM »
We'll never get the true numbers out of the Chinese, but it will be hard to minimize the overall severity.

Yeah, as opposed to here in the U.S., where a free press is always watching over the government to report every peccadillo.

"Terry, you're a baaaad boy."

Terry, 230RN

REF:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=49214.msg1002782;boardseen#new

(.GIF credit in properties.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:18:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
Just think: if China had decent zoning laws that kept residential areas separated from places likely to go ka-blooey! by a business district, the loss of life and injury could have been mitigated.

The flaw in that ointment is most likely that the Chinese are too smart to buy the cheap crap their factories produce, thus limiting the size of any business district to a few blocks.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
Just think: if China had decent zoning laws that kept residential areas separated from places likely to go ka-blooey! by a business district, the loss of life and injury could have been mitigated.

The flaw in that ointment is most likely that the Chinese are too smart to buy the cheap crap their factories produce, thus limiting the size of any business district to a few blocks.

stay safe.
Yeah, cause zoning has had such a positive effect here in the US.  We need to export it to level the market. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
Yeah, cause zoning has had such a positive effect here in the US.  We need to export it to level the market. 

That's either amazingly poor or amazingly good phrasing.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »
. . . The flaw in that ointment is most likely that the Chinese are too smart to buy the cheap crap their factories produce . . .
So . . . where DO they buy their toasters from?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »

For the majority of the population zoning laws, as stupidly implemented as they often are, serve a legitimate function.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 01:24:13 PM »
CCTV footage of the blast. I believe this is the initial (smaller) blast. This is looking to be Pepcon or West Fertilizer size if not worse.

https://youtu.be/KBPPmTe2a-w

Drone footage of the aftermath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDL9NE-y1A&feature=youtu.be

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
The pictures are unreal, especially the shipping containers flung around like toys.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33844086

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »
CCTV footage of the blast. I believe this is the initial (smaller) blast. This is looking to be Pepcon or West Fertilizer size if not worse.

https://youtu.be/KBPPmTe2a-w

Note to self: after seeing a bright flash and a fireball, don't stand in front of a plate glass window  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a3_1439409813

(warning, a lot of profanity in English... expat American stoners... or what?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e5_1439474009

Dozens of walking wounded, several third degree burns. I think a bunch of those people might succumb to shock, infection etc. even if all of them got American level burn-ward care.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=083_1439475911
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »

>>>>>   https://youtu.be/KBPPmTe2a-w  <<<<<

Drone footage of the aftermath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDL9NE-y1A&feature=youtu.be

Many of the injuries from blasts like this are a result of watching the fire through a window.

These effects have been shown throughout many of the large explosions over time.

Example: The Halifax blast in Canada:

Many of the wounds inflicted by the blast were permanently debilitating, such as those caused by flying glass or by the flash of the explosion. Thousands of people had stopped to watch the ship burning in the harbour, many from inside buildings, leaving them directly in the path of glass fragments from shattered windows. Roughly 5900 eye injuries were reported, and 41 people lost their sight permanently.[107]

Hatcher notes (p.521) that in the Lake Denmark powder factory explosion, "...the commanding officer of Picatinny Arsenal heard the fire alarm at Lake Denmark and ordered a phone call made to see if help might be needed.  The operator reported that he couldn't get through, and Col. Ramsey ordered him to keep trying, meanwhile watching the column of smoke on the hill about 5/8 of a mile distant.  Suddenly he saw an enormous flash and with excellent judgment, he threw himself flat.  A few seconds later, when the blast hit, portions of the glass from the windows through which he had been looking were blown across the room and embedded deeply in an oak door."

So if you see a flash, duck.  If you're watching a fire like that, move away from the glass.

Teach your kids that, too.

Terry

REFs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion#Destruction_and_loss_of_life

Hatcher's Notebook, "Explosions and powder fires"

Cf also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor#Injuries_and_damage

However most of the injured were hurt by the secondary blast effects, that is the shattered, falling or blown-in glass.[23][80] The intense light from the meteor, momentarily 30 times brighter than the Sun,[46] also produced injuries, leading to over 180 cases of eye pain, and 70 people subsequently reported temporary flash blindness.[81] Twenty people reported ultraviolet burns similar to sunburn, possibly intensified by the presence of snow on the ground.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:18:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
Which is why everyone who made fun of the old 1050's "duck and cover" was wrong. Yes, there's a radius within the blast that it "doesn't do any good" but there's a much larger circumference where it does, and walking around in the aftermath of WWIII with flash-burns, blindness, or cuts from flying glass that was otherwise easily preventable certainly wouldn't make things better for you.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
Which is why everyone who made fun of the old 1050's "duck and cover" was wrong. Yes, there's a radius within the blast that it "doesn't do any good" but there's a much larger circumference where it does, and walking around in the aftermath of WWIII with flash-burns, blindness, or cuts from flying glass that was otherwise easily preventable certainly wouldn't make things better for you.

Edward the Confessor: Ahead of his time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »
Duck and Cover does sound like something the English would call food.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »