Author Topic: An article from The Art of Manliness, Eugene B. Sledge and the battle of Peleliu  (Read 1130 times)

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Unisaw

• friend
That is a great book.  It is very sobering but really conveys just how awful it was.  In my younger days, I worked for a company that had a credit supervisor who became a Marine in WW II and served in the Pacific.  He still had a real problem with the Japanese that I couldn't comprehend.  After reading the book, I understood as much as one can without having been there.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
BTDT and had to get the t-shirt reissued.

For someone who has not BTDT there is no way that reading about it (or watching some movie that either glorifies or castigates the experience) will help them "put things in perspective".  You might think you empathize, but you just can't get the depth needed to move beyond heartfelt sympathy.  You have to experience something very much like combat conditions to be able to empathize.  I do not recommend experiencing trench foot and living on an offal pile while some jerk plays their hyperbass 24/7.

In spite of that people need to know what war, and what combat, is like.  Which is why this - https://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/howtoprepare.asp - along with the writings of Sledge and others like him is so necessary - not for the troops but the folks at home so they can at least imagine what it's going to be like/what it was like.  It's the only way I know to counter "my country right or wrong" and "kill a commie for Christ" jingoism.

Sorry for the rant but a nerve was struck.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
That is a great book.  It is very sobering but really conveys just how awful it was.  In my younger days, I worked for a company that had a credit supervisor who became a Marine in WW II and served in the Pacific.  He still had a real problem with the Japanese that I couldn't comprehend.  After reading the book, I understood as much as one can without having been there.

One of my Uncles was a Marine that served in the Pacific WWII, he had a visceral hatred for all things Japanese.

I remember when one of my cousins pulled up at his house with a new Datsun (as Nissan was called back then).  My uncle took one look at it and said through very, very tightly gritted teeth, "Those people tried to kill me.  Take it back."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thanks for that link. E-book downloaded.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hutch

• friend
Sledge wrote "With the Old Breed", which describes his experiences at Peleliu and Okinawa.  He declined advances for other books, but then later wrote about his post-war deployment to China.  He and my late father in law vacationed in some of the same Pacific locales.  My FIL was much more talkative about his deployment in China, providing security for Japanese soldiers being repatriated.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hawkmoon

• friend
One of my Uncles was a Marine that served in the Pacific WWII, he had a visceral hatred for all things Japanese.

I remember when one of my cousins pulled up at his house with a new Datsun (as Nissan was called back then).  My uncle took one look at it and said through very, very tightly gritted teeth, "Those people tried to kill me.  Take it back."

Imagine the scene when my Chinese-American roommate at the university rolled up at his parents' house in a shiny new Datsun 240Z. His mother was born and raised in China before the war and saw her father (a diplomat) executed by the Japanese. She was definitely "not pleased."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Unisaw

• friend
Deleted.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Good article. Now I want to watch The Pacific again (one of the few Blu-ray sets I own).
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

My wife's grandfather was a POW who survived the Bataan Death March. He passed just before she was born, but from what I am told, his reaction would have been a lot stronger than a statement through gritted teeth.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
With The Old Breed is a top notch read, and a large part of what The Pacific series from HBO is based on.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
I have seen the Pacific.  I did about as well as you can do portraying With the Old Breed in the short time available, but it still fell short IMO.  The book is very good.  He does a very good job drawing a picture of the conditions on Pelelui and Okinawa.  It was one of 3 or 4 books that were required reading in a military history class I took (the best of the four).  I can still picture some of the scenes he described.  What surprised me as much as anything was the condition of the food and water they were provided, mainly the water.

My grandfather was in the Navy and worked on aircraft radar in Hawaii.  They only thing I heard he hated was pineapple.  His brothers served in other branches, but I never heard much about it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
My wife's grandfather was a POW who survived the Bataan Death March. He passed just before she was born, but from what I am told, his reaction would have been a lot stronger than a statement through gritted teeth.

I had a neighbor while growing up who survived the Bataan Death March.  He was a very nice person ... I have no idea how he'd react to Japanese cars, unless you knew his background you would never guess he'd ever even been in military service let alone survive the Bataan Death March.  It was quit a kick in the teeth when I found out those fifty years ago what the Bataan Death March was .......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

And you won, and now they make cars for you. Congratulations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
The Marshall Plan helped put Europe back together.  The Japanese got MacArthur who told them to modernize, stop wearing bathrobes, put real shoes on their feet, and let their women vote.

By 1950 my uncle who was in the import/export business was bringing in cargo by the boatload marked "Made in USA" - as in the town of Usa.*  By about 1957 his biggest seller was a die-cast lapel pin with red, clear, and blue "jewels" on a banner over the words "Buy American".  Damn Federal Trade Commission started cracking down on imports that were not properly marked which sent him to buying stuff from Taiwan.

The electronics industry went from a laughing stock

stay safe.

* - the "Made in USA" story is true - it's just that none of the stuff was made in the town of Usa.

Japanese electronics went from Allan Sherman's transistor radio

S: On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me
A: Japanese transistor radio
C: On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me
S: Green polka dot pajamas
C: And a Japanese transistor radio
S: It's a Nakashuma

Listen to it at   http://www.songlyrics.com/allan-sherman/the-twelve-days-of-christmas-lyrics/#fuE5Jsgiqko7UUIO.99

to stuff that still makes the Germans tear out their hair.

All done supposedly by Westernizing them.  Hah!  They are still one of the most xenophobic countries on earth.

Admiral Perry should have blown Tokyo off the map and let them catch up to the 19th century in a week (or two at the most).
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.