Author Topic: Half-Price Books: The Beginning of My End....  (Read 2272 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Half-Price Books: The Beginning of My End....
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:32:22 AM »
A much anticipated day has arrived, the opening of a Half-Price Books on the other side of town.  After seeing their selection before they were open for purchasing (only open to 'perusing'), I was really excited to lay my hands on some inexpensive copies of books I love. I was so excited that I've sacrificed my morning studying to go over there, on the day before my block exams.

I got lots of goodies, though! Finally got copies of Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Romantic Manifesto, Collected Works of Aristotle, some Descartes, Anthem, The Age of Reason, Being and Nothingness, and last but not least, Stranger in a Strange Land (haven't ever read it, but it was $4.50). They were all just rediculously cheap, I couldn't not buy them. Even got a good amount of Christmas shopping done.

They even gave me a little red tote bag. Totally useless, but free.

As a side note, I finally made an AK purchase!!!!!   grin   grin I thought of making that a separate thread because it's so cool, but my self-indulgence is clearly a little overgrown by now. The rifle is a great SAR-3 with a new Red Star hammer, Shephards crook replacement, '74 style break, and 5 Weigers. Got a really great deal on it, too. I'll definitely have a more detailed post at THR when I actually get the thing in my hands (UPS has it now). I was getting tired of the caliber debate in my head, and that thing popped up for sale at just the right time, so now I'll be using plentiful .223.

Lastly, I've finally joined the NRA now that I've got a little money to spend. Feels good, too. I thought it was a good time to do it anyway, with a sure fight ahead in our .gov. 

I'm not sure that even my block exams could ruin my week, as I'll be sitting surrounded by books and a wicked new rifle. Couple thousand rounds of 5.56 and I'll be sound as a pound...  Makes me feel warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Half-Price Books: The Beginning of My End....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »
Are you a Texan type person?

I grew up in Dallas.  I have spent many hours and lots of money at Half-Price Books, although I never got a useless red tote bag, undecided
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:54:05 AM »
We spend a great deal of $$$ at HPB.

It is crack for bibliophiles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:56:50 AM »
Never heard of a HPB, but our local libraries frequently sell books for next to nothing.  Recently, I picked up a hardcover copy of Stephen King's "The Regulators" for $1.  I also got a hardcover copy of Grapes of Wrath for $1 and some paperbacks for $.50 each.  All were in good shape.

Chris

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
It's basically a used bookstore chain.  The nice thing is that they rotate their stock between stores and do records, CDs, and movies too.

I confess to spending too much time in there as well.   rolleyes

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:22 AM »
Kentucky born and raised, Fly320s. Did HPB start there?

Calling it crack for a book lover is hugely appropriate. I'm already plotting my next fix.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »
Out here in AZ we have "Bookman's".

I used to be a serious collector and spent hours rooting through used book stores, but that was when I was both single and solvent.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:22:01 AM »
Spooky,

I don't know if they started in Texas, but since that is the only place I've seen the stores, I'm giving credit to Texas. grin

edit:

A-Ha!

OUR STORY
In 1972, we opened our first store in a converted laundromat in Dallas, Texas. Co-founders Ken Gjemre and Pat Anderson stocked the store with more than 2,000 books from their personal libraries. Half Price Books was created with the idea of offering a great product at a great price. And it worked! Today, Half Price Books is America's favorite new and used bookstore chain. Our simple philosophy continues under the leadership of Sharon Anderson Wright, daughter of Pat Anderson.

Today Half Price Books has more than 80 retail stores in 14 states, with each store carrying a unique variety of new and used books, music, movies and games. The company continues to grow having opened new stores in Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky and Texas within the past year. In 2005, Half Price Books expanded its stores to the Chicago area, opening in the Village of Niles. HPB will open two new Chicagoland stores November 2006.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »
I would perhaps describe it as some sort of hellish mega-crack/meth combination for book lovers.  Not that I have ever been in the Everett, Lynnwood, U District and Redmond branches, of course. Repeatedly.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 06:41:44 PM »
Who needs exams when you can score cheap books and a new evil rifle huh Spooky?

We have an HPB up here in the 'Ville but it's way out on the east side of town where I don't get to much. That's the only thing that has saved me.

There is a book liquidator that rents out one of the vacant spaces in the mall every holiday season and I occasionally score some good deals there.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »
We spend a great deal of $$$ at HPB.

It is crack for bibliophiles.

That is an understatement.  I found a good history of Walther Pistols there, so I bought two-I gave one to my regular FFL, right after he ordered a P1 for me(I think he'll be getting one too Wink ).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 09:02:01 PM »
We've got a bunch of these in the Seattle area. My parents introduced me to the store when I was a kid and now I am running out of boxes to store excess books in, despite giving away most of what I purchase.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 12:26:21 AM »
Funny that these stores are as common as they seem to be. Good news for the book world!

Seems, though, that Karma wouldn't let too many good things go down without some balance, so I've manage to pick up some strep throat the day prior to exams. Wahoo for a sore/swollen throat and fever when you're trying to study....

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 08:43:14 AM »
The only thing better than a good HPB is Powell's in Portland.

James

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
Regarding Half Price Books...

I stopped in at one this morning and found a whole shelf full of Konemann Music Budapest Urtext editions of classical piano music. Debussy, Bach, Chopin, Mussorgsky, Greig, etc. I picked up a huge stack of them. Brand new. $4 a piece. More than a little excited. Calling it "crack for bibliophiles" doesn't begin to describe it.  grin
Andy

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 09:24:47 AM »
I asked for, and recieved, gift cards for HPB.  $500 in total....

I can't wait for the spare hours to be able to go and shop.

I need to pick up some hard to find books for my sis in law, something for my wife, and of course, rebuild my library