Author Topic: An online scam?  (Read 1243 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
An online scam?
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Today I was checking my credit card statement, and found a charge for $34.95 that I didn't recognize. I called the number listed next to the charge. It was for a streaming movie service out of Australia. The woman read off the last four digits of my card number, and my email address.

I know I didn't subscribe to this service. I never would. I checked my past statements and there were two other charges, for June and July. That's $105 for three months for a service I've never used. I went to their website. I've never seen it before.

The only thing I can figure is that I signed up for a free trial for some other site, then cancelled within the trial period, but the company uses the information to keep billing for a different service. They have the information. Try to prove them wrong.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: An online scam?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
Sounds like a variation on slamming.  Or identity theft.  They hope that by hitting you for small amounts that you'll do precisely what you did - not notice for a few months.

Slamming - buried in the fine print somewhere you 'agreed' to the charges with the free trial or whatever.

Identity theft - remember that lots of stores have had their information compromised.  If home depot or a business that doesn't even realize it's had it's information stolen yet had your info...

Call your credit companies NOW and get your information changed.  Put a fraud alert on your card.  Complain about the service.  Point out that as an American that's never been overseas, you wouldn't subscribe to the service.  Etc...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
OK, they had your card number and your e-mail address.

This day and age, it means absolutely nothing.

Call and contest the charges, and ask for a refund, saying that you were the victim of card theft.

If they refuse, file a complaint with your bank.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
Slamming - buried in the fine print somewhere you 'agreed' to the charges with the free trial or whatever.

This is why I never EVER agree to any "free" offer that's an opt-out contract. If your service or magazine or widget is so great that you're sure I'll love it and want it forever, just send it to me for a month or three months and, if I like it, I'll call you and opt in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »
This is why I never EVER agree to any "free" offer that's an opt-out contract. If your service or magazine or widget is so great that you're sure I'll love it and want it forever, just send it to me for a month or three months and, if I like it, I'll call you and opt in.

Indeed.  Despite that one time I ended up subscribed to a bunch of magazines despite having deselected them when registering something.  A big hint was that the first magazine was a bridal one...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
The take-away here: Check your credit statement every month, and challenge the charges immediately the FIRST time they show up on your statement.

Lesson learned, I trust.  :old:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
"Check your credit statement every month, and challenge the charges immediately the FIRST time they show up on your statement."

Virtually every credit card issuer these days offers some form of on line banking, which is a godsend for keeping tabs on what's going on with your cards and your accounts.

I know more than one person who has caught fraudulent activity within a day or two just by reviewing online records regularly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
I know more than one person who has caught fraudulent activity within a day or two just by reviewing online records regularly.

I've had them call me to make sure I wasn't buying gasoline in California the same day I was buying fireworks in North Dakota.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
I check my bank accounts and credit card account every morning at about 9:15. I don't know how I missed this one.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
I've had them call me to make sure I wasn't buying gasoline in California the same day I was buying fireworks in North Dakota.
Those kind of speeding tickets can cost you a lot.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
I'd post about the "offline" scam where two pretty college-age girls ask for a ride, and start making out in the back seat, and steal your wallet while you're distracted, and how they've stolen my wallet every day this week...

But I'm sure you've all heard it.
I promise not to duck.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
The take-away here: Check your credit statement every month, and challenge the charges immediately the FIRST time they show up on your statement.

Lesson learned, I trust.  :old:

Second this. Learned this lesson the hard way. Charges, small $$$, monthly that I didn't notice. Then a $440 charge hit. Called the number, charge was for flowers bought and delivered to an address in the UAE. Never been there. Closest I got was Kuwait and Iraq during the first go around in the sandbox, in the 90s. Don't know anyone in the UAE. Contested all charges, cancelled cards and had new issued. Took damn near 2 months to clear it up and get my $$ back. Now, I go over my statement with a microscope.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
I'd post about the "offline" scam where two pretty college-age girls ask for a ride, and start making out in the back seat, and steal your wallet while you're distracted, and how they've stolen my wallet every day this week...

But I'm sure you've all heard it.

After a few trips to Wally World to get replacement wallets they sort of get to know your face.

Or so I've told by those that claim to know what they are talking about.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »
If your service or magazine or widget is so great that you're sure I'll love it and want it forever, just send it to me for a month or three months and, if I like it, I'll call you and opt in.

Yup; been trying to get Ferrari to send me samples of each product for 90 days at a time, and when I like one enough I'll buy it, but they never want to try an honest form of in-your-face marketing.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
Yup; been trying to get Ferrari to send me samples of each product for 90 days at a time, and when I like one enough I'll buy it, but they never want to try an honest form of in-your-face marketing.

They actually do this in the UAE.