Author Topic: Discrimination in the service industry gets you fined  (Read 4259 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Discrimination in the service industry gets you fined
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »
Noooo.... you have a right to buy time on the internet."

I do?

Which amendment in the Bill of Rights mentions the Internet ... or buying?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
So is it illegal to have a mens only club or establishment?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »
So I guess I can force em to let me join girls gym

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:58 AM »
So I guess I can force em to let me join girls gym

Oh yes, there's a cottage industry in California on doing exactly that. A lawyer named Alfred G. Rava has made good money suing female business stuff, women only gyms, women in technology groups, “ladies night” discounts, mothers day events, etc.  A Voice for Men, the National Center for Men, the Men’s Rights Association and the ManKind Initiative apparently do have lawyers for just such occasions.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
This, to me, would be a bit like me rolling up to the local tire shop on my motorcycle asking for a mount & balance.

Your tire shop must suck; the main reason the local bike mechanic is right next to my tire shop is so he can send the ones needing tires right next door.  They'll do anything from a tricycle to a tractor.  (And yes, I've seen them changing the tires on a nicely restored classic Radio Flyer tricycle.)

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
I wish this country had real freedom of association.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:41 PM »
So is it illegal to have a mens only club or establishment?

I think you can get around it by having it be a private club or non profit, maybe?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
Todd Starnes' take on this.
But the state says the law is the law — which makes about as much sense as a guy going to a gynecologist for a prostate exam.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/barber-shop-fined-for-not-cutting-womans-hair.html?intcmp=hplnws
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
Todd Starnes' take on this.

ut the state says the law is the law — which makes about as much sense as a guy going to a gynecologist for a prostate exam.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/barber-shop-fined-for-not-cutting-womans-hair.html?intcmp=hplnws

These days, expert confirmation seems increasingly appropriate.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
I think you can get around it by having it be a private club or non profit, maybe?

Minimum of one testicle required for entry, regardless of gender.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »
Minimum of one testicle required for entry, regardless of gender.

So, if I go make myself a trophy necklace from my victims testicles, I'm in?

Cool.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
So, if I go make myself a trophy necklace from my victims testicles, I'm in?

Cool.

Maybe, maybe not.  But it sure would be a ballsy move.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.  But it sure would be a ballsy move.

And if I got denied entry, than I'd have a new sorce for severed testicles (they just don't bare up under wear like skulls)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »
And if I got denied entry, than I'd have a new source for severed testicles (they just don't bare up under wear like skulls)

Yeah, cheap underwear will do that.
"It's good, though..."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
Bah. It was discrimination.

He clearly stated that he would not serve her because she was a woman. Regardless of your opinion of the laws, it was clearly and blantently broken, and I have no pity for the barber.

Furthermore, I personally think he was an ass. He offers a service that is beyond just haircuts, and is operating an establishment that is more of a 'cool' club type place than just being a barber. Since his service is offering atmosphere and entertainment, rather than just haircuts, he hasn't much ground to stand on if he did say it was due to not being able to cut her hair.

And before anyone snaps at me, if it was a stylist pulling the same stunt on a man, I would be of the same opinion.

If he wants to break the law, he can pay the consequences. That's his perogitive and what the courts are for.

According to the article on Reason, she did in fact want a "men's haircut" - a fade, IIRC.

The barber shop in question was designed as a "men's place" - free beer, sports and other "manly" talk, etc.  Also goes into his plan to open a similar "women's place" stylist shop, with champagne and mimosas, flowers, etc.

How is this "men's place" different from, say, Curves?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »

Because it affects men, not a minority*?

That's a good question.  The closest I can think of would be 'no man has decided to try to press the issue yet'.

I wonder what would happen if the Barber in question tried to join, was rejected, pressed for the female only place to be fined, then sued over his ticket citing inequality under the law when it failed?

*Please pay no attention to the fact that women make up slightly more than 50% of the population.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »
According to the article on Reason, she did in fact want a "men's haircut" - a fade, IIRC.

The barber shop in question was designed as a "men's place" - free beer, sports and other "manly" talk, etc.  Also goes into his plan to open a similar "women's place" stylist shop, with champagne and mimosas, flowers, etc.

It isn't.

But I don't see dudes trying to get into Curves... *shrug*

Tell you what, you go down to one, join and see what happens. You can be the test case. :)

• friends
Re:
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »
Some women's tech group in California bans men

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Some women's tech group in California bans men

Not anymore. Lawyers and MRA groups figured out that California's anti-discrimination laws apply to said women's tech groups, so pretty much all of them are trolled by professional plaintiffs and sued to a smoking financial hole in the ground.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re:
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 06:01:50 PM »
Not anymore. Lawyers and MRA groups figured out that California's anti-discrimination laws apply to said women's tech groups, so pretty much all of them are trolled by professional plaintiffs and sued to a smoking financial hole in the ground.

Not my preferred technique, but normal folk are no longer making the rules.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re:
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
Just recently they sold tickets online to an event then barred men from entering

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Re:
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:22 AM »
Just recently they sold tickets online to an event then barred men from entering

If the group has any money, they won't for long.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, it's extremely not polite. I'm a big believer in being polite to folks. If you're not included, while that's not polite either, take it like a grown adult and make your own group. On the other hand, fair is fair is fair. So, I guess the end resolute is "The professional outraged person and professional plaintiff is a (insert mean word here), but legally as well as morally in the right. All groups should have freedom of assembly, but presented with how things are rather than how they should be..."

Edit: I was referring to the professional victims/plaintiffs in the second paragraph.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:43:12 PM by RevDisk »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
It's not necessarily impolite to say, "this is our group, and we don't want just everyone to join us. I'm afraid we don't want you." There may be reasons for such. I don't take offense to the women of our church having female-only gatherings.

On the other hand, if they sold tickets to people, and didn't tell them beforehand that certain people wouldn't be allowed, even w/o tickets, that's another kettle of cis-gendered fish.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
Maybe a woman should try to become a fully patched member of a 1% MC.  When denied let her sue and see how that works out for her.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!