Author Topic: Total Eclipse This Sunday  (Read 2917 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Total Eclipse This Sunday
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:51 PM »
FYI for anyone interested - Supermoon eclipse on Sunday. I got hosed on the last full eclipse because of fog, but will be up at 9000 ft and forecasted clear skies on Sunday. Of course I'll need to wake myself up at 0100. You East Coasters will have a better time of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/09/24/sundays-rare-supermoon-eclipse-what-need-to-know/?intcmp=hplnws
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Total Eclipse This Sunday
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 03:39:04 AM »
Starts here right at sunset/moonrise.  I actually took the night off so I could do the photography thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
Forecast for rain showers and cloudy up and down the eastern seaboard all weekend.

How am I supposed to be in fear of the gods and in awe of the power of the local shaman to bring back the moon from the bellies of the wolves that ate it if I cannot see anything?

I'm pretty sure my religious rights are being trampled.  What's the phone number for the ACLU?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:38:25 AM »
Will Mars be the same size and in the sky at the same time?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:27:58 AM »

Well, I saw it on facebook so it must be true.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »

Fun Size or the Share Size Mars
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »
Starts here right at sunset/moonrise.  I actually took the night off so I could do the photography thing.

Oh, duh! Never drink and post. Astronomical full eclipse at 1951 for me. I'm bringing the camera, tripod, and big lens. There should be some good opportunities for moonrise shots both on Sunday and the following days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
Saw the one in 1982.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
Oh, duh! Never drink and post. Astronomical full eclipse at 1951 for me. I'm bringing the camera, tripod, and big lens. There should be some good opportunities for moonrise shots both on Sunday and the following days.

Please post what you get as we on the eastern side of the country will be covered by clouds.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
Please post what you get as we on the eastern side of the country will be covered by clouds.

Will do. Hopefully they'll be 25% as good as what Larry has been posting recently. I've always been kinda sucky at night photography. Daytime nature has always been my forte, but hey, this is a perfect opportunity for skill improvement.  :laugh:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
I just wish I had a lens capable of taking the shots the way they need to be taken. Normally for special events I rent a lens or two but didn't get around to it this time.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
If you have a camera with a "Manual" mode the moon isn't all that hard to capture. It's pretty much fully daylight lit, just kind of small compared to the rest of the sky. Expose for a bright object lit in full daylight. 

Exposure data for this one
Time: 1/125
ISO 200
F/10
250 mm

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
Thanks Larry - figuring out night time exposure is my biggest problem. I'll give your settings a go. I'll be using my Sigma 150-500mm.

I think I read that some of the coolest "moonscape' pics I've seen were superimposed. A landscape shot at 35mm or so, and another shot of the moon with a big lens. I'll have to try that one of these days. For this time, my biggest problem will be finding the right place to shoot from - I've really never watched the moonrise from there (Mammoth) before, so will be guessing. Plus I want to find a place where I won't drive off the trail and down a cliff on my way out in the middle of the night.  :laugh:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
You have to expose the moon at least one or two stops more than you would for bright sunlight. The reason is that the moon is dark grey or black and you want it to look light grey or silver.

If RKL used those exposure settings on a daylight scene it would be about 2 stops overexposed. Conversely if you used sunny-16 exposure on the moon, it would look black  (like it actually is).
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »
Tech:  Since this is a supermoon (35,000 miles closer ? ), will this be like an annular eclipse?

I know the penumbra will be bigger than the umbra, but how does all that work out?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »

Info for the eclipse

http://earthsky.org/?p=51212

Ben, What camera do you have? I've been eyeing the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and it's been talking to me a little...

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
Info for the eclipse

http://earthsky.org/?p=51212

Ben, What camera do you have? I've been eyeing the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and it's been talking to me a little...

I have the Nikon D300s. I've been really happy with the Sigma. It's a circa 2011 model.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 08:07:36 PM »
The wife has a D90 that uses the same sensor as the D300, not quite as capable as the D300S though.
I'm a Canon fan boy but she wanted a Nikon.
I've been giving some serious consideration to the Canon 6D for the high ISO performance FF sensor. I'll likely wait for.the 6D MKII which is rumored to be coming after the first of the year just to see what it brings to.the party.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Crap.

CLOUD COVER-WISE, PERIODS OF HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS WILL BRING PARTLY
CLOUDY SKIES AT TIMES THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON, WITH A FEW CUMULUS
DEVELOPING DURING DAYTIME HEATING. MOVING ON TO SUNDAY EVENING, A
WEAK UPPER WAVE IS PROGGED TO MOVE OVER THE REGION AND COMBINE
WITH A THIN HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE FEED. THIS SHOULD SUBSTANTIALLY
INCREASE AND THICKEN MOISTURE/CLOUDS, WHICH IS SHOWN IN THE
NAM/GFS/ECMWF AS WELL AS THE 12Z GEM CLOUD MODEL. THEREFORE, THE
LUNAR ECLIPSE VIEWING REMAINS IN JEOPARDY. IF THE THICKER CLOUDS
CAN HOLD OFF JUST A FEW HOURS, THERE MAY BE A THIN CIRRUS DECK
WHICH COULD ALLOW FOR AT LEAST SOME VIEW OF THE ECLIPSE. THE BEST
BET FOR VIEWING CURRENTLY IS FOR AREAS NORTH OF A PORTOLA TO
GERLACH LINE WHERE MODELS SHOW THINNER MOISTURE ALOFT. SNYDER

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
SWMBO took the Things to Goldendale, WA for the eclipse.  So I'm flying solo this weekend.  Hopefully I'll get to see it here on the wet side.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »
Well, I got hosed by clouds. Set up the camera at a nice spot with a view of Mono Lake between me and where the moon should have been, but no go. I had hopes for a quick peak through a sliver break in the cloud cover, but it only got thicker. Gave up a half hour after totality and headed back to town, where, of course, I got a little peak while driving back.

Now I'm watching the end on a livestream.  :laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 01:32:19 AM »
I've got a few that I'm not too embarrassed to share but I haven't uploaded them yet. We had quite a bit of haze but the biggest problem was the dolt running the camera tonight.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 01:39:57 AM »

Samuel Adams