Author Topic: Turtle Crossing.  (Read 828 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Turtle Crossing.
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Caught this Terrapin crossing my yard today, had to relocate him before I mowed the yard.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Turtle Crossing.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:16:15 PM »
They allow you to actually pick one up and move it?  WoW!!

etc: (edited to clarify) 

Q: What do I do if I find a desert tortoise in the desert?

A- Wild tortoises are protected under the Endangered Species Act.   Tortoises in undeveloped desert or on roads through undeveloped desert areas are not to be collected without a permit.  If the tortoise is in danger from road traffic, you may pick it up, hold it level, and move it several yards beyond the road edge in the direction in which the tortoise was heading.  Otherwise, wild tortoises are not to be touched.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
Good pics,  cute little bugger.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »

A- Wild tortoises are protected under the Endangered Species Act.   Tortoises in undeveloped desert or on roads through undeveloped desert areas are not to be collected without a permit.  If the tortoise is in danger from road traffic, you may pick it up, hold it level, and move it several yards beyond the road edge in the direction in which the tortoise was heading.  Otherwise, wild tortoises are not to be touched.

Moving it is a hell of a lot better option than running over it with my lawn mower =D.

They're pretty common around my place.  I had one female on the place that I had painted a happy face on her shell touched it up every few years. That one was around for 18 years that I know of before I found her dead one spring.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »
One day when I was much younger my dad and I painted a number on this box turtle we found in the yard. I would see it every now and then.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:54 AM »
This woman didn't pick up a turtle, but (allegedly) rode one.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/26/us-usa-turtle-florida-idUSKCN0RQ0PD20150926

Turns out it's a felony.  But I agree, mowing one would be worse.  I thank you even if the turtle didn't.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:01:34 AM by griz »
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 12:32:16 AM »
Sooooo

No turtle soup for you?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
How long does it take to die from salmonella?  I'd hate to show up early and look like a vulture just waiting for you to die so I could start scavenging your stuff, but then I don't want to arrive late. =D

For all you doubters - http://animals.mom.me/can-sick-tortoise-1032.html

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »
How long does it take to die from salmonella?  I'd hate to show up early and look like a vulture just waiting for you to die so I could start scavenging your stuff, but then I don't want to arrive late. =D

For all you doubters - http://animals.mom.me/can-sick-tortoise-1032.html

stay safe.

I will be there before anyone else.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »

I think RKL helped out a ornate box turtle, not much bigger than a softball and pretty docile. Protected in some areas, other areas not so much.

This a desert tortoise, a much larger critter.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
Yup, Terrapene Ornata, one of two land turtles native to Oklahoma.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
Yup, Terrapene Ornata, one of two land turtles native to Oklahoma.

Is the other the 3 toed box turtle?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »
I think so.

Samuel Adams