Author Topic: Delusions of the Pope  (Read 12086 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Delusions of the Pope
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »
I wonder if the folks who use the whole procreation argument as grounds for no gay marriage have sex for pleasure with their spouse?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »
You guys don't have to drag out all of your cheap, manipulative tricks all at once.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
You mean like lying is bad, unless you are lying for Jesus, in which case it is ok?  Case in point: the Liberty Counsel claiming that 100,000 people in Peru rallied for Kim Davis:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2015/09/liberty-council-lies-about-100000-person-prayer-rally-for-kim-davis/  http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/09/28/3706199/kim-davis-prayer-rally-peru/ 

But I am sure this is just the gay-infested liberal media trying to smear the good folk at Liberty Counsel.

Sort of like the lefty counting techniques used for Million Man March or Million Mom March?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »
In biblical times, random large numbers just meant "a lot."  They were never intended to be accurate counts.  They're just following biblical methods of survey and math.
Or when ol Mo (PBUH) consummated his marriage with Aisha, she wasn't really 9, it was more like the Qu'ran was exaggerating her youth...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
And one should except the punishment for their actions. Supremes can be impeached, just need enough members of congress to do it.

Obviously, civil disobedience can invite punishment. We know this. As for the Supremes being impeached for making blatantly wrong, dishonest decisions? Yeah, like I said: Too bad they can't be held accountable.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
You mean like lying is bad, unless you are lying for Jesus, in which case it is ok?  Case in point: the Liberty Counsel claiming that 100,000 people in Peru rallied for Kim Davis:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2015/09/liberty-council-lies-about-100000-person-prayer-rally-for-kim-davis/  http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/09/28/3706199/kim-davis-prayer-rally-peru/ 

But I am sure this is just the gay-infested liberal media trying to smear the good folk at Liberty Counsel.

More like, lying is OK, so long as it's the lie about same-sex unions being marriages. Now let's be offended when someone tells the truth about homosexual acts, and let's be offended when someone allegedly lies about some rally somewhere. Consistency is, like, homophobic, or something.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
I wonder if the folks who use the whole procreation argument as grounds for no gay marriage have sex for pleasure with their spouse?

Fortunately, that's only a problem for you Catholics.  :P

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »

...As for opposing gay marriage, I think you’re going beyond your supposed reliance on evidence here. The strongest conservative case against gay marriage is that it reinforces a centuries-long redefinition of marriage from a strategic partnership focused on child-rearing to a ceremonial acknowledgment of romantic infatuation, potentially leading to a deep shift in the way people think about issues like who to marry, when to have kids, when to get divorced, and how to treat their family. That argument hasn’t been rigorously evaluated by statisticians and found wanting. It’s been found annoying and left untouched. Your differences are foundational assumptions and methodological disagreements about what sorts of issues to focus on, not simple “he made an arithmetic error when calculating the effects” style obvious superiority.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
Sort of like the lefty counting techniques used for Million Man March or Million Mom March?

Well maybe, but in the citation above, I don't think there was any sort of rally in Peru for Kim Davis; not that I could find with a Google search, anyway. So is it a counting issue or that the Liberty Council was lying about it altogether? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2015, 09:58:16 AM »
Well maybe, but in the citation above, I don't think there was any sort of rally in Peru for Kim Davis; not that I could find with a Google search, anyway. So is it a counting issue or that the Liberty Council was lying about it altogether? 

And there's no sort of marriage going on, when one of the sexes is left out of the process. But some lies are more equal than others.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

Well, he might be lying or he might be mistaken. How often do the rest of us get a piece of information that confirms our biases and don't spend time checking it out?

Of course, being that I know nothing about Liberty Council, he could be lying. Seems rather strange to make such an easily disprovable lie, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2015, 10:44:31 AM »
Amusing to see moral and logical degeneracy set up one beside the other in such an overt fashion, where inconvenient and unpalatable (but completely accurate) fact is judged as unpleasant and outrageous as a very possibly inaccurate report that (if it were true) would also be inconvenient.

The pattern displayed is one of judging fact/reality by its adherence to the preferred narrative, not by factual content.

But, then, degeneracy in one part of one's life often leads to degeneracy in another.  IOW, don't be too surprised to find out that your adulterous/promiscuous business partner is also screwing your part of the business in the books.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
Is it cheap or manipulative to be specific about the nature of a thing?
No, but pretending the nature of the thing boils down to this is.

You guys are funny.  Kinda like this dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXQbZDwV0w
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
No, but pretending the nature of the thing boils down to this is.

It's so much better to claim that any principled opposition to fake-marriage recognition is really just hatred and/or disgust. That's super-duper honest. Major integrity move, there.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

It's so much better to claim that any principled opposition to fake-marriage recognition is really just hatred and/or disgust. That's super-duper honest. Major integrity move, there.

or stomping on the freedom of people. You can get legally married to your partner of choosing, why everyone else be allow the same rights?

Uranus is a gas giant.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »
If the shoe fits...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
or stomping on the freedom of people. You can get legally married to your partner of choosing, why everyone else be allow the same rights?

Because not recognizing a few sham marriages was really stomping - STOMPING! - on people's freedoms.  :laugh:

Charby, come on. At some point you have to recognize that a homosexual person last year had the same rights as I had. He had the right to marry someone of the opposite sex, just like I had. Now, we both have a right to legally claim a fake marriage to someone of the same sex. Equality then; equality now. The only difference is that the first condition adhered to reality a bit better than what we now have.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »

Because not recognizing a few sham marriages was really stomping - STOMPING! - on people's freedoms.  :laugh:

Charby, come on. At some point you have to recognize that a homosexual person last year had the same rights as I had. He had the right to marry someone of the opposite sex, just like I had. Now, we both have a right to legally claim a fake marriage to someone of the same sex. Equality then; equality now. The only difference is that the first condition adhered to reality a bit better than what we now have.

A sham? Why is two adults of the same sex marrying each other out love a sham?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »

A long time ago, when I was in college, I dated a girl from a nearby Catholic women's college. She explained to me in all seriousness that the priests had taught them it was okay to make out as long as they didn't enjoy it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »
Well, he might be lying or he might be mistaken. How often do the rest of us get a piece of information that confirms our biases and don't spend time checking it out?

Of course, being that I know nothing about Liberty Council, he could be lying. Seems rather strange to make such an easily disprovable lie, though.

Maybe he didn't think it was easily proven to be a lie.

I spent a few minutes looking at the video of the 2014 rally, and the "visuial cues" are indeed obvious.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »

You know very well why. You know it's not because of any religion, or anybody's personal opinion.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »
You know very well why. You know it's not because of any religion, or anybody's personal opinion.

Well, I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't see it as a sham. I do see Kim Davis as a sham.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
Well, I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't see it as a sham.

There are many truths we choose to ignore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »

"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
----George Orwell

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »
There are many truths we choose to ignore.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
----George Orwell

Well enlighten me.

Uranus is a gas giant.