Author Topic: Frankensteined GPS system  (Read 496 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Frankensteined GPS system
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
As some might recall, I almost lost my quad copter a few weeks ago. I was very, very lucky to find it just at the edge of some tall grass. Five more feet to the north and I'd never have found it.

So, I ordered a little (1"x1"x3/8") GPS tracking device. It has all sorts of bells and whistles. It calls you, it sends text messages. You can text it with queries for its location. You can view it in satellite or street view using a downloadable app. You can call it and it will make enough noise that you'll be able to find it from about 30 to 50 feet away. Attach it to the quad copter, and it should never get lost again. Above water, anyway.

It needs its own SIM to send and receive texts. Unfortunately, it doesn't like Apple products, so I had to download a half-baked Apple app for SMS texts. It sorta works. It will send and receive texts to and from my Blackberry. The GPS won't send certain texts to the iPad. It will send all texts to the Blackberry, and receive all. The Blackberry can receive texts with clickable links to the maps. The iPad will not.

So, I have to query the GPS for its location, copy the text link, email it to the iPad, open the email app on the iPad, then click on the link to open Safari to look at the map.

Blackberry, android, and Apple. Why can't we all get along?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Frankensteined GPS system
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
As some might recall, I almost lost my quad copter a few weeks ago. I was very, very lucky to find it just at the edge of some tall grass. Five more feet to the north and I'd never have found it.

So, I ordered a little (1"x1"x3/8") GPS tracking device. It has all sorts of bells and whistles. It calls you, it sends text messages. You can text it with queries for its location. You can view it in satellite or street view using a downloadable app. You can call it and it will make enough noise that you'll be able to find it from about 30 to 50 feet away. Attach it to the quad copter, and it should never get lost again. Above water, anyway.

It needs its own SIM to send and receive texts. Unfortunately, it doesn't like Apple products, so I had to download a half-baked Apple app for SMS texts. It sorta works. It will send and receive texts to and from my Blackberry. The GPS won't send certain texts to the iPad. It will send all texts to the Blackberry, and receive all. The Blackberry can receive texts with clickable links to the maps. The iPad will not.

So, I have to query the GPS for its location, copy the text link, email it to the iPad, open the email app on the iPad, then click on the link to open Safari to look at the map.

Because Blackberry and Apple are purpose designed for for wussy hipsters.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:10:28 AM »
Because Blackberry and Apple are purpose designed for for wussy hipsters.

Yeah, but the pilot app for the quad copter works best on iPhones and iPads, and the target market for the quads seems to be nerdy middle-aged guys.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:17:10 AM »
bummer
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »

Because then we would have Skynet.   ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.