Author Topic: Furnace trouble-shooting  (Read 2327 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Furnace trouble-shooting
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
My furnace has automatic ignition, or electrical ignition, or whatever they call it. I just turned it on last night, for the first time this season. The inducer motor comes on. Something (I think it's the ignitor) is clicking over and over again. After it fails to ignite, the clicking stops. I've checked that the gas valves are in the on position, all the way back to the meter. I'm also trying to get the ignitor and flame sensor out where I can work on them, but haven't succeeded yet.

Is it more likely the sensor is dirty, or that the ignitor is just broken, or...?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Furnace trouble-shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »
Make and model?

Is there a circuit board with an indicator light that will give you failure codes?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Was the gas ever turned off at any point?
I had the same problem with the water heater a few years ago. Just a bunch of air that had to work its way out.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
They changed the gas meter some time back. May, I think. It's possible I haven't run the heater since then.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
You could crack a pipe open and see if you can force the air out. Easiest thing to do might be to loosen the drip leg cap.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
You can tell when you've vented the air by using a match to check for gas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:35:19 PM »
You can tell when you've vented the air by using a match to check for gas.

Yep, when your eyebrows are gone, you've got gas.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »
Yep, when your eyebrows are gone, you've got gas.

[popcorn]

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
Make and model?

Is there a circuit board with an indicator light that will give you failure codes?

International Comfort Products

FBF075B12G1

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
Name like that it sounds like a sex toy...

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
On your furnac, the ignition electrode is the flame sensor . It needs to establish flame at the pilot before it allows the main gas valve to open. You gas meter was replaced last spring so there is an air pocket in there somewhere. If you have a gas stove you've been using that should have removed most of it. You can try cycling the furnace a few times but with only the pilot orifice as an outlet it could take quite a few cycles. Opening a fitting or cap may be your best option, just wait 10 minutes between any venting & trying to start your furnace.

To back up just slightly, you mentioned checking valves back to the meter but did you check the one on the automatic gas valve in the furnace. I've missed or misread that one once or twice.

You are hearing the click so you most likely have spark so I'm looking downstream from there.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
On your furnac, the ignition electrode is the flame sensor . It needs to establish flame at the pilot before it allows the main gas valve to open. You gas meter was replaced last spring so there is an air pocket in there somewhere. If you have a gas stove you've been using that should have removed most of it. You can try cycling the furnace a few times but with only the pilot orifice as an outlet it could take quite a few cycles. Opening a fitting or cap may be your best option, just wait 10 minutes between any venting & trying to start your furnace.

To back up just slightly, you mentioned checking valves back to the meter but did you check the one on the automatic gas valve in the furnace. I've missed or misread that one once or twice.

You are hearing the click so you most likely have spark so I'm looking downstream from there.

The valve inside the furnace was in the on position, along with the valve right outside the furnace, on the line itself.

I'm not sure about opening up a gas line and venting gas out into the basement. What is the correct, safe way to do this?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
Literally to NOT do it...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
Google it. There are a variety of instructions on line.

Check your furnace, some have a purge valve built into the gas valve that will bleed through the burner.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
"What is the correct, safe way to do this?"

Yeah, what Mike said.

You're not really venting gas as, as soon as you smell gas or see a density change in the vapor, you're done. You don't let a bunch of gas come out. Not on purpose anyway. Nat gas is lighter than air and with a couple of cross windows open it'll dissipate pretty quickly but there is still a possibility for an accident. Sounds like this is your first time ( insert virginity joke) so you may just want to cycle the furnace.

If you do decide to try venting, make double sure the water heater is turned off & the pilot is out.

ETA: the pressure on the line is about 4inches of water column or adout 1/4 PSI so it's not like anything is "shooting out" anyway. And make sure you've tested anything you've loosened & re-tightened with soapy water to avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDAyu_sR3W0

this

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
I think fisty got his furnace working...

I'm pretty sure I just saw someone flying overhead, and he appeared to be on fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »
I think fisty got his furnace working...

I'm pretty sure I just saw someone flying overhead, and he appeared to be on fire.

You saw a flying, flaming sock monkey?  Did it leave a cool looking smoke trail?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
...a flying, flaming sock monkey...

This thought makes me sad.  :'(

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »
On your furnac, the ignition electrode is the flame sensor . It needs to establish flame at the pilot before it allows the main gas valve to open. You gas meter was replaced last spring so there is an air pocket in there somewhere. If you have a gas stove you've been using that should have removed most of it. You can try cycling the furnace a few times but with only the pilot orifice as an outlet it could take quite a few cycles.

Does this mean I just turn up the thermostat and wait, or will I need to turn the thermostat to off, and then call for heat again?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »

Does this mean I just turn up the thermostat and wait, or will I need to turn the thermostat to off, and then call for heat again?

I think you have to cycle the thermostat - otherwise after a while it just stops trying if it can't get ignition.  Don't want to fill your house with gas, after all.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
Did you bleed the air from the gas line?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
I think you have to cycle the thermostat - otherwise after a while it just stops trying if it can't get ignition.  Don't want to fill your house with gas, after all.

No filling the house with gas, got it!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »
You need to cycle the start sequence. You can use the t-stat dial, the system switch from heat to off if it has one or the power switch that should be mounted on the side of your furnace. The T-stat dial is obvious. If you use either of the other switches, turn the T-stat up above room temp and with the other switches on, let the start cycle go till it times out. Turn whichever switch off & wait 2 or 3 minutes. Turn it back on & let it cycle through again. Like I said, it may take quite a few if you haven't bled the line.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Is the pilot lighting but it isn't being sensed? If so then no gas is not the problem and you need to clean or replace the pilot sensor/assembly.

If you have a switch on the furnace you can just turn it off and back on to cycle the unit after it locks out on flame failure. Popping the filter panel on and off often works as there is frequently a door switch on it that kills power to the furnace.

You never mentioned whether there are indicator lights on the furnace/circuit board.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
http://www.columbiapipe.com/PIN_ASSETS/PIN_Data/parsed/ICP_Commercial/Owner's_Manual/44103260900.pdf

It looks like you have an ignition module separate from the circuit board.

Please confirm that there is no flame at the pilot assembly.