Author Topic: Would you survive in the wild? (Quiz)  (Read 6055 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Would you survive in the wild? (Quiz)
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
10/12
Moon at dawn was a legit "I dunno"
Facing the sun in northern hemisphere was a phat phinger smartfone ephh up

I'll eat a bug if Im hungry enough, (remember the prison film "Pappilion"?)  but if bugs are around, i suspect there are other options.  And the bug will be dead.
7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:36 AM »
12/12

Thank you Boy Scouts.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »

Nope. I'm equating "eating snow" with "gathering the snow as a source of water," as opposed to just leaving the snow on the ground, and having nothing to drink. It's just a poorly worded question. A better T/F question would be "If you need water on a snowy day, you can just pick up clean snow from the ground, and put it in your mouth." That would be a question that avoids any ambiguity.

Failure to read the question then.
Eating snow=/= drinking water.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »
On the Sun/Moon question, it specified the northern hemisphere. My 1st thought was that at noon, it would be directly overhead but then, because the sun is roughly above the equator, I rationalized where I would be facing though the degree would be minimal because of the angles involved. On the moonlight I did the same and visualized the locations needed to make the light on one side of the moon VS the other. As to where the sun rises/sets, I always think in terms of time zones to remind me which.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »

Scripts from 18 different domains. That's actually really impressive.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
12/12 but a couple questions were screwy. Esp the water. Need determined by climate altitude and exertion. I'll drink 2 gallons a day on a mountain hunt.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »
Failure to read the question then.
Eating snow=/= drinking water.

False.

Drinking is a form of eating. Snow is a form of water.

:P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
False.

And Bruce Jenner is a woman.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »
On the Sun/Moon question, it specified the northern hemisphere. My 1st thought was that at noon, it would be directly overhead but then, because the sun is roughly above the equator, I rationalized where I would be facing though the degree would be minimal because of the angles involved. On the moonlight I did the same and visualized the locations needed to make the light on one side of the moon VS the other. As to where the sun rises/sets, I always think in terms of time zones to remind me which.
At noon, using the sun to figure South is easy.  However, why would you need to use the moon to figure direction at the end of the day when the setting sun is still visible? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
12/12 but a couple questions were screwy. Esp the water. Need determined by climate altitude and exertion. I'll drink 2 gallons a day on a mountain hunt.
I guessed the higher water amount myself.  Maybe that is from living on the Gulf Coast.  Most of us A/C rats down here would either die of thirst or have heat stress issues due to lack of minerals.  That is why I always include some gatoraide in my hurricane stash.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
And Bruce Jenner is a woman.

I just want to suggest that, if Bruce Jenner melts, you not drink him.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
False.

Fistful, this winter, when it snows, I want you to go outside and get a cup full of snow. Let it melt, and than get another cup full of snow. See for yourself how many cups of snow you need for one cup of water

Eating snow is not only going to give you hypothermia, but it is also an incredibly inefficient way to get water. You're eating more air than water.

So, shut up already. You were wrong. It won't kill you (since, hopefully, you now know to NOT eat snow if you get lost in the wilds) :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
Fistful, this winter, when it snows, I want you to go outside and get a cup full of snow. Let it melt, and than get another cup full of snow. See for yourself how many cups of snow you need for one cup of water

Eating snow is not only going to give you hypothermia, but it is also an incredibly inefficient way to get water. You're eating more air than water.

So, shut up already. You were wrong. It won't kill you (since, hopefully, you now know to NOT eat snow if you get lost in the wilds) :P

Maybe we need an asshat of the day award?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
What was I wrong about now? That I find the question misleading?

Maybe we need an asshat of the day award?

You shouldn't talk about Liz that way.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 03:11:54 PM »
Found a pic of Fistful:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:08 PM »
12 for 12.  Recognized the mindset of those who built the quiz.

Disagree strongly on several of their "correct" answers
, such as the first thing you should do is find shelter.  Screw that, I'm building a fire that I can move to my shelter site if I have to.  Most important thing is not water but fire - you can live (uncomfortably) for 3 days without water but can shut down from hypothermia in 3 hours.  Bugs have fat - and I'm going for larvae under logs before I chase down some grasshopper.  If I have an appropriate filter why would I need to boil my water?  And I call BS on the amount of water needed, unless they are thinking you will remain still and static.

And on and on and on.

Me too, but I still missed the moon one.  (so 11/12)

I'd probably last a day or two, and then get eaten by a rabid squirrel or something.   ;/
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
Eating snow isnt the same as drinking cold water, that heat of fusion that escapes most people is the real killer.

Still depends on the circumstances; I spent a few days in the mountains one spring when daytime temps were in the 70s, and it was easy to break a sweat hiking in the sun, but several deep shade spots still had 18-24" piles of snow.  I was hiking hard enough to just not quite break a sweat, and grabbing a mouthful of snow whenever I passed a perfectly clean looking pile.

Of course, in that case, I was on an established trail, never more than a couple miles from a road that would have moderate traffic, and had supplies with me, but it does show that eating snow isn't always a bad idea.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
What's the deal with brightly colored insects?  Are they hallucinogenic, or something?

gimme some reds, man

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »
I believe brightly colored insects are often poisonous.  I heard that before somewhere. 

I agree with statement above about looking for larvae or grub worms before crawling insects.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:50 PM »
If you are stuck outdoors overnight and it is chilly, sheler or fire?  Yeah, fire might be one choice, but shelter might make things survivable without a fire.  When Luke was freezing to death on Hoth, Han Solo stuck him in a big animal and built a shelter, not a fire.   =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
If you are stuck outdoors overnight and it is chilly, sheler or fire?  Yeah, fire might be one choice, but shelter might make things survivable without a fire.  When Luke was freezing to death on Hoth, Han Solo stuck him in a big animal and built a shelter, not a fire.   =D

Yeah, fire always sounds good, but burying yourself in natural insulation, where available, can be the more expedient choice. If you have the time, both are better, but I think I give the edge to being well-insulated versus having to keep a fire going all night.

I always shake my head when I watch "Naked and Afraid", because I don't know that I've ever once seen them cover themselves with leaves or anything. Whether they get a fire going or not, they're almost always in an exposed shelter complaining about how cold they are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
I think the key to the shelter vs fire priority was the "unpredictable weather" statement.  Fire is nice, but it doesn't keep you dry.

I missed the moon direction, but I still think I can figure out N/S/E/W easier than trying to understand the wording of that question.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
I always shake my head when I watch "Naked and Afraid", because I don't know that I've ever once seen them cover themselves with leaves or anything. Whether they get a fire going or not, they're almost always in an exposed shelter complaining about how cold they are.

But then they'd no longer be naked.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »

But then they'd no longer be naked.

Well yeah, there is the script. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
Two wrong for me.

I disagree about the amount of water required. 1 Litre would keep most people alive depending on physical activity and geographic region. I believe current studies show that recommended water intakes are higher than really required. It also didn't say I was in a desert or had no access to food as well which contains water usually.

I also messed up the sun direction. I'm not sure I agree with the phrasing of the question versus the answer, but re-reading it I'll admit I got it wrong.