Author Topic: I Should Have Invested in Goose Down  (Read 403 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Should Have Invested in Goose Down
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »
Since I'm getting back into backpacking, I've been perusing new gear. I don't need a new sleeping bag, as my 20 year old Moonstone PCT is probably one of the best investments in gear I've ever made, but was looking at the current crop of bags. An REI gear guide mentioned that goose down is becoming scarce, so I did some googling. Apparently the price has tripled in the past few years.

I guess most of our down comes from China, and the hypothesis is that more Chinese are moving into cities, and their diets are changing to less and less goose and duck (the feathers of which have also increased in price) so there is less down by-product from the food source. Somebody needs to start tapping into that overabundance of nuisance geese we have in some parts of the US!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: I Should Have Invested in Goose Down
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
You mean like turning golf courses into rifle ranges and hunting preserves?

Hell, when I go to the park the damn things swarm me, expecting me to feed them bread like every other fool.  I could reach out and wring their neck - and at times have looked to see if anybody was watching.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.