Author Topic: Because we must protect the delicate snowflakes . . .  (Read 3259 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Because we must protect the delicate snowflakes . . .
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
. . . some colleges have designated "sensitivity consultants" to ensure one's Halloween costume is not politically incorrect:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426260/halloween-colleges-costumes-consultants

:facepalm:
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Because we must protect the delicate snowflakes . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
Boy, I would have been in trouble.  I never did a Halloween costume that didn't involve weaponry, especially firearms.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
Thought that was the whole point of costumes.  I guess if you have to ask if it is PC or not, more than likely it isn't.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
Boy, I would have been in trouble.  I never did a Halloween costume that didn't involve weaponry, especially firearms.

I can say it now that I'm no longer employed by them.  I showed up at work one Halloween as a down on his luck 1850's gold miner. Union suit, cowboy hat, cowboy boots, gold pan, and a belt  holster with an 1851 Navy (unloaded) in it. The only person who figured out it wasn't a toy gun was my boss, who I'd just started to take to the shooting range. He just rolled his eyes and went for his Excedrin.  :laugh:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »
I wore a suit and wide horn-rimmed glasses once to the company party.

"Where's your costume, Terry?"

"This is it.  I'm Clark Kent."

"Oh... umm....you're weird."

I had to pad the shoulders quite a bit.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:03:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »
I had to drop a sample at the lab for my boss today, which involves driving right through the UVA Corner. I guess tonight is the trick or treating on the Lawn so the place was packed with small kids in costumes. Lot's of princesses and superhero's and one small police officer (maybe 3 1/2 or 4 at the oldest)
So this little boy has the full uniform and he even has a holster... which is on backwards and has no gun in it. Obviously, the parents possibly had something to do with the decision to refrain from giving their child a toy gun, but I'm guessing that UVA maintains a "no guns or anything even remotely resembling a gun EVER" policy that would outlaw a 3 year old "police officer" from maintaining a side arm.  :facepalm: Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the holster by itself causes comment.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
I want to a costume party years ago. I needed a gun. I did what any logical person would do.
Unloaded my 686 put it in a old leather holster and used it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
I used to show up a the office costume party as a gruntled state employee.  In spite of doing it every year nobody ever guessed who I was supposed to be.  Just showed up dressed as usual but on a massive dose of valium.  One year I thought about coming doped on Thorazine but feared the tongue-thrusting dyskenesia might get me in trouble.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
Hell, back in my HS days, 80s, dressed up as a white ghetto pimp. Complete with 2 hookers (female friends, not real hookers) on my arm. Principal looked our way, shook his head and walked on.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »
Hell, back in my HS days, 80s, dressed up as a white ghetto pimp. Complete with 2 hookers (female friends, not real hookers) on my arm. Principal looked our way, shook his head and walked on.

There was a pimp or two every year during spirit week. At least one Junior every year did it (Juniors got the 70's for Decades Day. Don't ask why we did these things or why the 70's seemed to be the only decade with pimps)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
If you go dressed as an SJW (complete with ugly glasses), do you win or get sent to a re-education camp?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:17 PM »
Relevant: Canadian highschool bans Colombian student from dressing as a Mariacha band member; says representing his own culture is "very offensive".

At the end of the article it says he's going to do it anyway. I hope he causes a few SJWs to have strokes.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
If you go dressed as an SJW (complete with ugly glasses), do you win or get sent to a re-education camp?

Makes me want to dress up and go out for Halloween this year... Just to find out.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
I wore a suit to a party once.  I was dressed up as a business man.

Another time I put on some tight window pane plaid pants and a flowery shirt and a cute scarf around my neck with one of the those little looms we used in grade school to make pot holders hanging down in front.  What do you think my costume represented?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »
Just to slightly veer the thread.

For many years our family would get together at Thanksgiving.   Now, in order to attend, one needed an iron stomach and extremely high gag reflex.   Why you ask?

Because my mother, my (now ex-) wife and my five sisters-in-law were all nurses.  And at some point in the evening (usually around the table) they would play "Top THIS !!!".  A game in which each participant had to offer up story of humans in medical distress greater than the previous story.   Given that two worked in ER's and one was a Med-Surg nurse, the only things missing were actual pictures... However, they could all paint gloriously vivid word pictures, leaving those of us, who had done nothing to deserve such punishment, sitting, holding back our gag reflexes as we turned pale in disgust of what we were hearing.  

And so "Scout" you say, "What does that have to do with price of tea in China, much less SJW's and Halloween?"

That's what the SJW "movement" is a race to the bottom to see who can be Offended/Microaggressed/Traumatized/Victimized over the smaller and smaller, most inconsequential things.  To gain attention for their "plight" which consists of not having any real plight or having overcome any real obstacle in life.    It is the movement of the small and weak minded.  It is the making of oneself to be a "victim", when then has been no harm done or even directed toward them.   They are sad, small people and I truly pity the, their self inflicted misery.  It is a testament to the power of Capitalism and Western Thought that such people are able to exist and "flourish", because never before in the history of Mankind has a such a creature had such an amount of leisure time to exist.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:51:05 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
Relevant: Canadian highschool bans Colombian student from dressing as a Mariacha band member; says representing his own culture is "very offensive".

At the end of the article it says he's going to do it anyway. I hope he causes a few SJWs to have strokes.

Good for him, and I hope so too.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
Control, control, control.  That's all they want is control, control, control.  "Why, we can't have them doing whatever they want!"

I could see it if the kid was mocking his own culture, but just on off-hand "rules?"

Hope he and his friends go anyhow and cause a big fuss.

I was trying to think of a costume that would mock the SJW-School Administrator(s) who made that decision themselves .  I drew a blank.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:29:53 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 11:22:45 PM »
Another time I put on some tight window pane plaid pants and a flowery shirt and a cute scarf around my neck with one of the those little looms we used in grade school to make pot holders hanging down in front.  What do you think my costume represented?

Fruit of the Loom.

What did I win?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
I could see it if the kid was going to mock his own culture, but just on off-hand "rules?"

Who has a better right to mock his culture?

It's okay for black people to call each other by the 'N' word, but whitey isn't allowed to. Italians can tell Italian jokes, but northern European types aren't allowed to. Etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »

It's okay for black people to call each other by the 'N' word, but whitey isn't allowed to. Italians can tell Italian jokes, but northern European types aren't allowed to. Etc.

"Etc."  Heh.  I get a free pass on some of that 'cause I can make French, German, Ukrainian, and Polish jokes.  And since I'm about 1/32 Irish (the genealogy is not too clear), occasional Irish jokes.

Oh, American jokes, too.  Almost forgot.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »

I'm not like that.  I've never been offended by anyone telling a Welsh joke.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
I see what you did there.  :rofl:

"Three Welshmen walked into a bar...."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 12:37:24 AM »
Fruit of the Loom.

What did I win?

You win a demonstration in front of your house by a group of swishy penguins.  Hey, some of my best friends are swishy penguins.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
I wore a suit to a party once.  I was dressed up as a business man.
I wore a sport coat, sunglasses, and tie to a party one. I was dressed up as Dirty Harry.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »

The last time I checked, mariachi players are not a stereotype. They are a type of musician, with a characteristic costume; like an '80s heavy metal musician, or '70s Elvis, or '80s rapper, or what-have-you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife